Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Best pre-2002 Rpg  (Read 9272 times)

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best pre-2002 Rpg
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2008, 10:57:55 am »

There's a carpload of mods for Morrowind, I'm pretty sure there's an overhunting mod as well.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2008, 01:36:10 pm »

I remember trying out a mod in Oblivion that tried to create new scrolls of Icarian flight, which were sadly left out of the native game.

But since the functionality to fly up and around the landscape wasn't in Oblivion, they had to fudge it.  They did so by temporarily increasing your jumping ability to an unheard of level. 

Although you couldn't cover as much distance in a single use, you could actually go quite far if you got a nice running start before your jump.  Now, it should be noted that Oblivion also did not have spells/charms/potions of slowfall.  The Icarian flight mod also neglected to include them.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2008, 10:12:03 pm »

Don't bother with realtime combat in Arcanum though. I found that I had to save between molotov throws because if I missed I had to reload the game and try again. Combat difficulty was THAT skewed. In realtime, you would die unless you completely overpowered the enemy - but even for weaklings I never really used it.

Also guns that shot "projectile" type stuff (plasma thingies, tesla, etc) took time to get to the target and often one of your own goons would get in the way and intercept the missile... how stupid is that. The first time I played I used only normal bullets because of that... the second time, luckily I switched to turn-based.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2008, 10:13:15 pm »

It's been a very long time since I played it, but I remember Dark Sun - Ravaged Lands to be an enjoyable crpg. I think you have a party of four, and the gameplay is turn based.

I found a video of it on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br4hhzT_GGw

I finished both Dark Sun and the sequel. They're definitely worth playing, specially if you're tired of the same old D&D crap. This is different old D&D crap.

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2008, 12:02:36 am »

Ahh, the scrolls of Icarian Flight. Great fun, if you remember to pack a potion or charm of slow falling.  If only there were more than three in the game (or the mods I had installed...)

None of those were needed... at all.  All that is needed to make Morrowind extremely easy is a mastery of Alchemy.

You see, in Morrowind, the results of alchemy are determined by your intelligence.  So if I have 10 intelligence my "restore health" potion might restore 30 health, but with 15 intelligence it'll restore 50 (random numbers here...).  So what do you do?  Make a potion of intelligence!

The first set will boost your int by maybe 3 and last for 10 seconds.  Now, make sure you have a LOT of ingredients for more intelligence potions, and DRINK the ones you made.   Immediately go into the alchemy thing (with all... four(?) devices) and make more potions!  Take your time, as time stops in the potion menu.  Now, the new potions will be made using the increased intelligence from the previous potions.

Repeat this process till you end up with some bonus like "1234 intelligence for 123456 seconds" and have fun.  Make a potion of health regeneration and it'll regenerate something like "552343 health for 3943435 seconds" (you can't die).  Make a strength boost that'll give you so much strength that literally ANY attack will kill ANYTHING in one hit.  Go crazy.

BUT be careful with a levitation potions and speed/agility potions.  The levitation potion will last, well, for a VERY long time unless you dispel (and lose your buffs).  The speed potion, if you're indoors, will cause you to run through the walls and out into a black void, good luck finding your way back without recall.  And the agility potion, well... If you thought those scrolls of icarian flight were good, try jumping up some steps in the south and landing in the water in the north, no joke.

Oh, and you if want to get rid of your old potions (the ones that only give 1000 or so intelligence), go sell to the Creeper in Caldera (in the Ghorak manor, upstars... you'll hear when you go inside) as he'll buy any potions off you for full price.  Now, he only has, I think, 4000 gold available to sell.  Want more?  Well I'll let you figure out how to slowly treadmill his available funds up...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2008, 01:45:31 am »

5000, actually.  One of the few things I remember from playing it on my cousin's xbox.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2008, 02:22:56 am »

What about the magic mudcrab?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2008, 02:43:55 am »

What about the magic mudcrab?

Not so much magic as talking. And a merchant.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2008, 05:15:56 am »

Right, exactly.  Horrible creatures, I avoid them whenever I can.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2008, 04:33:22 pm »

Speaking of classic First-person RPGs, Wizardry 7 is a lot of fun.  I'm looking to buy Wizardry 8 as I've heard great reviews for it.

CotDS is great. Haven't ever been able to bring myself to try Wiz 8 tho'; post-DWB development seems wrong somehow (plus they were crowing about how they were gutting bits of the system back when I was following its initial development). BotCF is still great as well, when you get right down to it. 'Twas that'un that forever sold me on the Wizardry franchise, much as I had long ago loved PGotMO and KoD for the NES.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2008, 05:03:44 pm »

Speaking of classic First-person RPGs, Wizardry 7 is a lot of fun.  I'm looking to buy Wizardry 8 as I've heard great reviews for it.

CotDS is great. Haven't ever been able to bring myself to try Wiz 8 tho'; post-DWB development seems wrong somehow (plus they were crowing about how they were gutting bits of the system back when I was following its initial development). BotCF is still great as well, when you get right down to it. 'Twas that'un that forever sold me on the Wizardry franchise, much as I had long ago loved PGotMO and KoD for the NES.

Since I posted that a while back I was able to play Wizardry 8.  I actually really like it, it feels a lot like a first-person Baldur's Gate.  The graphics are good for how old it is, they have very clean feel to them.  The game gets pretty difficult quickly, so you'll probably be reloading a lot.  It has a fair amount of puzzles as well.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2008, 03:08:22 pm »

If you know German, you can try the DSA games. DSA stands for "Das schwarze Auge" (The black eye), and is based on the P&P-RPG system with the same title. There are three games, and all of them are good.
Another good game that hasn't been suggested is Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption (not Bloodlines, mind you, although this is good as well). Vampires vs. Werewolves, do I have to say more?

[Edit]I completely forgot about the fourth DSA game, called Drakensang, and coming out this month (or already released?). But it's very different from the other three, they were more like Dungeon Master, while the new one is more like NWN.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 03:24:19 pm by zagibu »
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2008, 03:15:46 pm »

I want a game that pits steampunk vampire dwarves against werewolves with magic and cyberware.

Booze Mech of Darkness vs. Were-Datschund with Lightning-Charged Implant Claws

Some people tell me I want weird things.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2008, 04:04:37 pm »

I want a game that pits steampunk vampire dwarves against werewolves with magic and cyberware.

Booze Mech of Darkness vs. Were-Datschund with Lightning-Charged Implant Claws

Some people tell me I want weird things.
Meh. Shadowrun. No steampunk, but it's close enough.

I think there was a vid of someone completing Morrowind in 16 minutes. The ChiefBadguy died before he finished his speech. Getting the character off the ship and into the first major magic shop took longer than ramping up intelligence/everything and raiding the final location.

Ah yes, I like Redemption. I liked it all the more because of the mangled translation I once found in it. "The sun is our destroyer now, Christoff!" (with destroyer in the naval sense) was one of my favorite lines, as well as "Have at thee, Wilhelm!" (which could have roughly been translated as "f**k yourself in, Wilhelm"). Other than that, I found the bazooka absolutely ridiculously powerful. I beat the final boss without my team ever touching him in melee. Or so I remember. :)

Of the RPGs I liked, I shall first and foremost point to Phantasy Star. Not as good as Final Fantasy in terms of story, but I liked the setting very much, and the gameplay itself too. PS4 is absolutely great, and has only one drawback - it was never released on GBA.
Others have already been mentioned, but I'll throw in another that you probably never heard about - Vangers. It was made by the same people who made Perimeter and Maelstrom later, and featured a VERY obscure setting, and very confusing gameplay, not to mention ridiculous difficulty for a novice. It's hard to describe it, but in short, it's a roguelike-like game of roaming the various landscapes on all manner of twisted contraptions, taking quests, earning money, buying bigger contraptions and guns, trading, etc, etc, all on a voxel engine that allowed the same kind of terraforming, only from a top-down-only view.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2008, 05:15:36 pm »

Hm the old Wizardry games were pretty awesome, Realms of Arkania: Shadows Over Riva RPG was one of the best, and theres an ancient game called Knights of Legend, now that was decent also.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6