Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Best pre-2002 Rpg  (Read 9265 times)

krige

• Bay Watcher
  • [TILE:dwarf:fire]
    • View Profile
Re: Best pre-2002 Rpg
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2008, 11:16:32 am »

Recommendations?

Letssee...

Wizardry 8 was already mentioned. Good.
Gothic was already mentioned. Good.
Darklands mentioned. Surprising, but still good.

Adding in:
Might and Magic: World of Xeen for some oldschool mm gameplay.
Perihelion: the Prophecy. The definite post-apocalyptic RPG.
Romancing SaGa 3. One of the most unusual and fun turn-based combat systems, as well as nonlinearity.
Albion. Deutschland's finest in RPGs. Awesome story, good puzzles and combat.
Sheriff of Nottingham: That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2008, 11:30:50 am »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Solara:
<STRONG>
I think one of the best <I>really</I> old school RPGs has to be Darklands. The graphics are horribly dated (give me ASCII over ugly pixelated people and landscapes any day...) but it gives you tons of freedom and the setting (Germany in the dark ages) is as far as I know completely unique.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Darklands kicked my ass, and I've got to work up the courage to try it again. Though, I did a lot better after realizing my weapons weren't equipped!

I got owned every time I played too.  First by Schrats, then by bandits, then I realized my characters were way underpowered, so I played as the premades, owned everything I fought, then got owned by Schrats again.  Once I'm tired of SimEarth, and I get a chance to use the laptop(Games like Darklands can only be played alone, in my room, on a laptop, it's the perfect place for complete immersion.  I became genuinely scared playing a horror text-based game) I'll try again.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 01:09:13 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2008, 11:54:40 am »

It's been a very long time since I played it, but I remember Dark Sun - Ravaged Lands to be an enjoyable crpg. I think you have a party of four, and the gameplay is turn based.

I found a video of it on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br4hhzT_GGw

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2008, 12:41:29 pm »

How good the Menzaberranzan is?
I've just found it and I'm gonna try it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2008, 04:14:25 pm »

I second what everyone else said about Arcanum. However, I found replay value and side quest density to both be very low. Lower than Fallout 1 anyway. But they had plenty of great ideas and the setting was done very well.
Don't bother with realtime combat in Arcanum though. I found that I had to save between molotov throws because if I missed I had to reload the game and try again. Combat difficulty was THAT skewed. In realtime, you would die unless you completely overpowered the enemy - but even for weaklings I never really used it.

Planescape: Torment had hands-down the best written story ever. And if your character died, well, things happen. You're expected to die sometimes. You find out interesting things if you die ;)

Like Planescape, Fallout 1 and 2 gave you the ability to make lots of different choices. But don't bother with other Fallout games, they're lame and not worth playing unless you're a rabid fanboy.

Until the end, I liked Secret of Mana. Unfortunately, a LOT of games tend to peter out around the midpoint. Secret of Evermore was, I think, slightly better even though it was enough like Mana to be a sister game. And it rocked throughout!

SNES Shadowrun was pretty awesome. The Genesis Shadowrun had better controls and was more true to the source material, but the SNES Shadowrun had better graphics and was a whole lot of fun.

Chrono Trigger holds a special place in my heart. The sequel Chrono Cross was not interesting enough to hold my attention past the first main story section. Chrono Cross had a ton of awesome ideas, but I guess it was just a tiny bit boring to me at some point. Your mileage will certainly vary.

Anyone remember the Genesis D&D game Warriors of the Eternal Sun? It was fun, though nothing mind blowing. Worth finding the rom (oops! I mean paying $120 for a soiled cart with a dead battery on ebay. Right).

I liked the old Gold Box D&D games. That and Dungeon of Doom were my first gaming experiences on a computer.

Wizardry 1 was pretty sweet. I remember reading about it in the computer game section of an old OLD Dragon magazine (like issue number 40 or something) and wanting to play it enough to search around for it for a while. Now you can find a SNES rom for Wizardry 1-3 ...

Morrowind rocked. But I feel like it had too little replay value. It's a game I would play through comepletely once with the best type of character, then maybe once again with a specific archetype and high difficulty, just rooting out all the fun hidden stuff (no, not HFS). But still once you talk with someone once you pretty much just skip their conversations. And you don't actually get to make interesting choices. Your choices tend to be "I will help you complete this quest!" or "I'll not complete your quest and you might try to kill me" or "I'll kill you or ignore you". For example, it was not possible to start your own merchant guild and take control of the silt striders and small boats and teleportation services.

More if I think of it I guess.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2008, 11:37:58 pm »

How good the Menzaberranzan is?
I've just found it and I'm gonna try it.

I thought it was neat, it has some fun features that make it rather unique, but it's rather hard to get to run, and it's not everyone's cup of tea, especially if you don't like Drizzt.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2008, 09:32:45 am »

I hate Drizzt.
Shoes...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2008, 10:09:13 am »

Everyone hates Drizzt.

Hmm, idea for a sitcom...
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2008, 10:14:11 am »

Drizzt!  How come you neva call yoa mother?  I mean, you could call sometimes right?  It's not so much to ask is it?  How are you doin out there in icewind dale?  You getting enough to eat?  You're all skinny!  You aren't eating enough!  Come home sometimes an I'll cook for you... blah blah blah blah blah blah....
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2008, 10:52:23 am »

Secret of Mana was good stuff - It's really rare for a CRPG to be more fun to play with other people. Worth having for that alone.

Chrono Cross, in a word, sucked. They went from CT having 7 characters with totally unique movesets, most of whom were utterly awesome in every conceivable way, to CC's somewhere around 40 characters with mostly identical abilities and whom you mostly didn't care enough about to even remember their names.

The SNES-era Final Fantasies are all pretty good, but I find that 5 is really underrated. Sure, Square didn't release it in the US for ages, the storyline occupies a space between silly and nonsensical and the last boss was a giant evil spell-casting tree, but damn it, that game was fun to play.

The Gold Box games were mad fun too - Pool of Radiance FTW. I could never quite get into Curse of the Azure Bonds, though.

Morrowind also wins forever - I was hooked on that game for years. After I beat it, I took a dare from a friend to pillage all the dungeons in the game - in alphabetical order.  I only made it up to Bthuand before a computer crash wrecked my file...

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2008, 11:43:05 am »

That's hardcore.

I know in Morrowind I wanted to find the main cliff racer nest so I could exterminate their race forever. Again ... no sorry you can't affect spawn rates by overhunting something.

Curse of the Azure Bonds was pretty cool actually, I liked the different travel system than was used in POOLRAD. But all those games were just so great because with the limited technology they managed to capture a good deal of the spirit of D&D.

Eye of the Beholder. OMFG I wished they made so many more of these. But looking back now, I think EOB was inferior to Ultima Underworld in general except in the traps, which UU didn't do a very good job with. Their world was just a little too static.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2008, 08:06:31 pm »

There was actually a PC mod floating around that just eliminated cliff racers completely. I remember seeing it on a fan site somewhere. Don't think I ever bothered to try it out though - by the time I found it, I had a jump spell that let me cover four worldmap squares in a fifteen-second leap.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2008, 09:43:35 am »

Hehehe I remember the jump scrolls. Those were fun. I tried it once, when I wanted to get back to town the short way, I over lept completely and landed in the sea.... hard.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2008, 10:44:05 am »

Ahh, the scrolls of Icarian Flight. Great fun, if you remember to pack a potion or charm of slow falling.  If only there were more than three in the game (or the mods I had installed...)
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2008, 10:52:58 am »

Ahh, the scrolls of Icarian Flight. Great fun, if you remember to pack a potion or charm of slow falling.  If only there were more than three in the game (or the mods I had installed...)

There's always liberal amounts of cheating to be had! I modded my character's agility to something like 10,000 at one point. It kinda looked like I was just continuously loading, since I didn't spend enough time in between the borders of cells to actually register with the human eye.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6