Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Best pre-2002 Rpg  (Read 9276 times)

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
Re: Best pre-2002 Rpg
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 10:26:00 am »

Yes, although Oblivion can be modded to have out of depth monsters.  If anything, you can level the same accusation to an extent at Morrowind, it's just not as blatant.

I'm replaying Morrowind right now.  All sorts of fun.  I second the awesomeness of the alchemy system, but I will add that I did enjoy that Oblivion extended it to making useable poisons.

"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 03:37:00 pm »

Morrowind's alchemy is a work of art. With a high enough alchemy skill you can make up for shortcomings in other skills. Or anything else; try one of my Restore Health 147 points a second for 87 seconds! If it can't kill you in one hit, it probably can't kill you. Though I found getting knocked down and hammered on by an Imperfect was plenty of one-hit damage...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2008, 03:51:00 pm »

Oh Morrowind. What nice hours I had there. The tomb-romping was actually fun because of the special ones that pop up. Like the one burial site with a full maze and cavern protecting an ancient longboat, complete with treasure.

Then you find some hidden diggings that reveal a submerged tunnel to hell. For me, that was the best dungeon ever.

Other than the fully-underground daedra towns.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2008, 05:04:00 pm »

Daedric ruins were more fun than I could comprehend. It was like being in a Lovecraft story, deep in the bowels of R'lyeh, without the insanity.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2008, 05:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Keiseth:
<STRONG>Daedric ruins were more fun than I could comprehend. It was like being in a Lovecraft story, deep in the bowels of R'lyeh, without the insanity.</STRONG>

Heh, I'm sure the archetects were quite mad.

Exploring those places was difficult as hell. What with all those ledges and spikes, half of the time the battle music came up I never knew what to do.

Also, Telvanni. Nothing like doing random strange illegal things for eccentric mad wizards.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2008, 05:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Solara:
<STRONG>I think one of the best really old school RPGs has to be Darklands. The graphics are horribly dated (give me ASCII over ugly pixelated people and landscapes any day...) but it gives you tons of freedom and the setting (Germany in the dark ages) is as far as I know completely unique.</STRONG>

The world as seen in the common man's superstition was used in the Table-top RPG Ars Magica, which spanned all over Europe (so Germany too), but in computer gaming, I think you are right.
and Darklands are great, but you get bored after a while. Ofcourse you'll be back in a year again.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2008, 11:20:00 pm »

I am pretty sure Morrowind doesn't count as it was made in 2002, not before. Also I have played Morrowind for in excess of 150 hours, I enjoyed every minute of it.

quote:

Here's a few really great ones (and really old-school)  :

The Magic Candle
Wasteland
Ultima III, IV, V
Ultima Underworld (The first one was better IMO)

Wow those games are old  :eek:. I don't really think I would be able to involve myself in an rpg of that depth. Maybe sometime in the future when I have a lot of spare time on my hands, but not now.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2008, 01:10:00 am »

I loved the first Might and Magic...2 and 3 were ok and the rest were not so great.

Wizardry 5 was very cool...oh the maps i made for that game...BIG maps.

Starflight.

Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2008, 10:21:00 am »

quote:
Wow those games are old . I don't really think I would be able to involve myself in an rpg of that depth. Maybe sometime in the future when I have a lot of spare time on my hands, but not now.

Yeah, they are really old.  This thread has gotten me to start a new Ultima 3 game.  I'm using DosBox with the D.O.G front-end.  The graphics aren't pretty, but just like playing in ASCII there is a lot more going on here in the imagination.  The combat system was great in the early Ultima's because of the tactical map.

I just love how these old games didn't hold you by the hand with arrows and map-markers.  The manuals gave you a storyline and dropped hints, but 99% of solving the quest was solely up to the player.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2008, 01:54:00 am »

If I'm not too late to influence your decision...

PST or BG2.

Fallout 2 is amazing, but those other two trounce it.

Diablo isn't really a CRPG like the rest of the list.  It's more of a graphical Roguelike.

Arcanum?  Never played it, unfortunately.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2008, 06:17:00 pm »

Arcanum was brilliant. There were several things I remembered mose from that game. Once I snuck into some building where there was a large safe, seemingly very difficult to bypass. With my basic level of lockpicking, I just used a fate point and opened it. I really liked that system.
The other time I was a high-level mage that concentrated on the energy school. There was this one door that I was supposed to get an answer for. I think the riddle itself wasn't very difficult, nor was obtaining that answer, but there was just something insulting about an ancient rock door questioning a battlemage's intelligence. So I just zapped it with Disintegration and moved on.  :)

I really liked that game. A shame I can't find an english localized version anywhere around here...

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2008, 01:15:00 am »

Thanks for the help guys. In the end I bought fallout 2 and balders gate 2. Both games are great but Fallout stands out the most for me, it kind of reminds me of the Mad Max trilogy. I think that is a good $15 spent and should be a distraction long enough to keep me from remembering my problems.

Vessol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.armageddon.org
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2008, 05:27:57 pm »

Earthbound.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2008, 05:53:13 pm »

I think my greatest moments in Morrowind were when I found The Masque of Clavicus Vile, and when I slew my first dragon with a bow.  I was using a mod that added dragons, of course, and they looked really stupid, but when that thing fell, I nearly jumped for joy.  I was only level 16, and the weakest dragon is like 25.  It had epic lewtz too.  A very valuable(and unrealistic) selection of rare reagents.
Shoes...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2008, 06:22:14 pm »

Earthbound.

Ha!  Yes, good game.  A very unique mode of storytelling and quirky, occasionally tongue-in-cheek humour.  Nice music, too.  I don't think I ever finished it, though, the end got a bit crazy for me. 
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6