Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Best pre-2002 Rpg  (Read 9285 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Best pre-2002 Rpg
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 09:07:00 pm »

And Mr. Witless, mustn't forget him.

I really liked making stuff with the various schematics, even if it was just a smoke bomb made out of manure.  The promise of making a mechanical spider or a Tesla-gun was enough to keep me going for a bit (I only had the demo, sadly).

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 09:22:00 pm »

It does depend on your tastes.  The BG series, particularly when modded, spin an epic and involved story with plenty of tactical, (pseudo-)realtime combat to shore it up.  Between them, hours and hours and hours of game time, without getting old.

Planescape: Torment is shorter, and on the surface, more simple- but once you scratch that surface, so much deeper.  There's combat to be had, but almost never is it required; both problem solving and character advancement can be done in other ways.  Possibilities abound, with the dialog system incorporating all manner of social and antsisocial actions.  Examples: a guard challenges you and you haven't a good answer?  If you're fast and strong enough, you have the dialog option to snap his neck before he has a chance to act.  It also gives you the option to specify whether you /mean/ what you say.  The emphasis is firmly on exploring the fascinating game world and characters, and soon you find you genuinely care about them.

Fallout predates both of them, also offering multiple approaches to most situations in a very gritty, dark setting with a more cartoonish and yet ironic or sarcastic sense of humour.  Plenty of gore and a healthy dose of sex, drugs and rock and roll.  The story is less far reaching than the above, but told well, giving you some interesting decsions to make.  The combat is turn-based tactical hex-board style, with only the protagonist directly controllable.

These are the three I've played seriously, and I think all three are classics that deserve to be played.  Which is best really depends on your tastes.

"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 12:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by lumin:
<STRONG>Here's a few really great ones (and really old-school)     ;) :

The Magic Candle
Wasteland
Ultima III, IV, V
Ultima Underworld (The first one was better IMO)
</STRONG>

shoot, i still think of underworld as one of the new and revolutionary ultimas.  sure was a step up from 3 with all its obscure keyboard commands.  and nobody liked 4, which was definitly the preachiest of all the ultimas, even though it had one of the best quests.

I have to agree though, The Magic Candle and Wasteland were to of the best RPGs ever.  there were a few TMC sequels or prequels or something, but I never played them.  the reviews were poor.

Im kinda shocked that nobody mentioned Wizardry or the Gold Box games like Curse of the Azure Bonds.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 01:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>Gothic.</STRONG>

Really, noone agrees?

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 06:09:00 pm »

Diablo 1 didn't age too well in my opinion. Diablo 2 is pretty good though.

However I'm going to go a different route and recommend some REALLY old school rpgs from the good old SNES days. Chrono Trigger had an excellent story, graphics, and music.  Final Fantasy 6 was an incredible epic.  Finally there is Live A Live.  7 different plot lines, excellent music, incredible battle system, and a brand new translation from http://agtp.romhack.net/  (not a rom site, a translation site).

Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 06:52:00 pm »

Pre-2002? The only rpg I played pre-2002 was Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars.

I didn't know what an RPG was.

Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 08:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by lumin:
They came with big boxes, thick manuals, cloth maps, and a mini-novel that set the stage for the premise of the game.

I miss those sorts of things... The last game I remember having that was the first Empire Earth. You could almost read the manual like the book, it had a page on all the epochs of time, biographies on historical figures, paragraphs of completely random but interesting stuff on warfare, random full page pictures of people fighting each other, a giant full color map of the tech trees...

The second empire earth came with a manual you could read in a minute. It also took out half the periods of history you could play before, had less campaign missions, the worst 'territory' system... anyway, derailed. Continue discussing pre 2002 RPGs.

[ June 02, 2008: Message edited by: Wooty ]

Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 10:42:00 pm »

Arcanum actually had a really nice manual for its time, I'm still kicking myself for losing it. It was written entirely 'in character' in a Victorian style and there was even a hobbit's banana bread recipe in the back.  :)

I think one of the best really old school RPGs has to be Darklands. The graphics are horribly dated (give me ASCII over ugly pixelated people and landscapes any day...) but it gives you tons of freedom and the setting (Germany in the dark ages) is as far as I know completely unique.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 12:07:00 am »

quote:

The second empire earth came with a manual you could read in a minute. It also took out half the periods of history you could play before, had less campaign missions, the worst 'territory' system... anyway, derailed. Continue discussing pre 2002 RPGs.  

If you think thats bad, have you played EE3. It is absolute shit. They expanded on the whole territory thing, reduced the number of epochs from fifteen to FIVE. Those bastards at sierra ruined everything that made the Empire Earth series so good.

I was also wondering if Dues EX should come under pre-2002 rpg. I have heard that it is also extremely good. How does it compare to fallout 2 story wise?

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 12:25:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Solara:
<STRONG>
I think one of the best really old school RPGs has to be Darklands. The graphics are horribly dated (give me ASCII over ugly pixelated people and landscapes any day...) but it gives you tons of freedom and the setting (Germany in the dark ages) is as far as I know completely unique.</STRONG>

Darklands kicked my ass, and I've got to work up the courage to try it again. Though, I did a lot better after realizing my weapons weren't equipped!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 02:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by A_Fey_Dwarf:
<STRONG>
I was also wondering if Dues EX should come under pre-2002 rpg. I have heard that it is also extremely good. How does it compare to fallout 2 story wise?</STRONG>

Not quite an RPG. It played more like a stealth shooter with RPG elements, quite a fun one, though. The storyline was pretty political and conspirational, sort of like in FO2, except there you only found out about everything at the end of the main quest, in Deus Ex it sort of built up with time. Worth playing through, although the RPG elements in an otherwise FPS game take time getting used to. Standing still, waiting for the crosshair to shrink till you can shoot without missing (10-3 seconds depending on stats) can become quite monotonous after the n-th time, too (I eventually just switched to melee weapons).

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 04:49:00 am »

I never finished F2, but I'm not sure you can compare it far with Deus Ex.  The first is, like its predecessor, gritty post-apocalyptic but with a vaguely 50s retro feel and, as I said, a wicked sense of humour.  You pretty much have the freedom to go where you want, when you want, and putz about on side quests.

Deus Ex is pretty much pure cyberpunk.  It's at least as dark as Fallout but approaches it a different way- lurking conspiracies, everyone a pawn in an invisible game, atrocities and abominations wrought in secret by the hands of man, urban decay... with fallout, it's more slavery, drugs, and prostitution run rampant, horrific mutants, mad computers, and dangerous wastelands, hundreds of little factions squabbling over what resources remain while bigger fish plot to shape the future in their image.

... Okay, I guess there is some basis for comparison, just in different styles and settings.  In one, you come from an illiterate village... in the other, you begin as a cutting edge new kind of government operative.

Being first person, Deus Ex doesn't provide such complete freedom, and the plot is more linear- but it's also big, and the plot gives you important choices and occasions where the later game is directly influenced by your decisions- without telling you "ok, choose A or B" but rather letting events unfold naturally.  It's also notable for offering multiple solutions to any given problem.  It's up to you whether to use stealth or brute force, and most obstacles can be circumvented for the right price, or if you're clever enough.  You also have the option to use non-lethal force.

Oh.  And Fallout 2, like Fallout, is a good game, whereas while Deus Ex is absolutely brilliant and I need to find a copy, Deus Ex 2 is a pile of crap that it's better to pretend never happened.

"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 08:34:00 am »

quote:
Im kinda shocked that nobody mentioned Wizardry or the Gold Box games like Curse of the Azure Bonds.[/QB]

I tried playing the Gold Box D&D games but I really didn't like the system. While not the "best" RPGs, I think Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday and Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed are very fine games.

I'm going to second any mention of Fallout, Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate Series, Arcanum, Wasteland, Planescape, etc.

Ulima VII is quite possibly one of the best RPGs ever. The previous ones were pretty nice too, specially III & IV back in the 8-bit era, I dug the music so much in my old C64.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2008, 09:42:00 am »

I think Morrowind was released in 2001...  In a test of sheer player freedom, I think that game would win over anything. It does have exploits that allow to complete the game in 16 minutes, but the ability to use the sheer power of alchemy to make a potion or set of potions to propel the player over the entire island is worth something, I think. Oblivion sucked in that regard...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2008, 10:10:00 am »

Yeah, and the leveled creatures was annoying.  Took away all the fun of seeing some horrible monster at a low level and running for your life.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6