Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Shades of gray between utter capitalism and utter communism in DF  (Read 2308 times)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shades of gray between utter capitalism and utter communism in DF
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2008, 11:50:55 am »

All this stuff is fascinating, but consider dwarven society: from what I understand, dwarves of a colony or clan or whatever consider themselves family, at least in a lot of literature. I find it more likely that humans would try a violent overthrow; dwarves should be more likely to just leave rather than to commit murders.

Explains that horde of soap and lye makers that flood into your fort

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2008, 02:00:59 pm »

Dwarves may be a family, but when some uppity dwarf with a posh elven accent and human style clothes shows up and demands a solid cinnabar room with matching weapon racks, I don't think he's invited to dwarfmas.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2008, 05:19:18 am »

When you said that i thought of British royalty......

-----------
Snobby McDwarfy:"G' day ole chap!"

Urist McKillsnobbs: "Good Day yourself..."

Snobby: "Well I say, that is a mighty fine set of cinnabar weapon racks you have there.....It would be just smashing in my solid Cinnabar room.""

Urist: "r'lly now? And why would that be?"*grows annoyed by the snooty tone of voice*

Snobby: "None of your business....I would never have to explain myself back with those human traders when i asked for these clothes...."

Urist: "So go live with them you snooty asshole...."

Snobby: "Oh. How dare you speak to me like that you lowly rubbish hauler of a commoner. Now I think that i will just take these weapon racks as amends for your rudeness."*reaches for racks*

------------

And that, my friends, is the last anyone had ever seen good old Snobby....
Though Young Urist McKillsnobbs was seen leaving the door to the forbidden hall of the HFS....with a slight smirk on his face might i add....
There are two types of Christians:
Those that believe in God,

And those that suffer from retardation.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2008, 09:14:53 am »

The only problem with conflict between nobles and non-nobles is that if the nobles depended on things like enforcement and protection by the fortress guard, most players would just respond by putting no dwarves in the guard and letting the nobles get slaughtered.

This has to be solved by nobles bringing their OWN fortress guard - dwarves that behave like nobles in that you can't control or draft them, but all they do is protect the nobles. Also, your civ would presumably start attacking you as punishment if you killed all the nobles.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Ascii Kid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is just a test
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2008, 09:35:35 am »

I like the idea of noble soldiers/guards that are outside your influence, and maybe even a seperate faction within your society; you have a surly, arogant royal guard who's pushig the sheriff around, and only the Hammerer can deal with him. 
Factions within factions, it'll be awesome.
"...you'll have you live with your GRANDmother and pick beans!"
-Homer

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2008, 10:52:28 am »

This is an engraving of a dwarf, it is surrounded by dwarves.  The dwarf is more equal than the dwarves.

I looked around for the commissar, then I laughed.
Aha! I cleverly hid behind the broken wall in your communal bathroom. I always knew you were a capitalist traitor. Prepare to be sent to Siberia.

- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing
Pages: 1 2 [3]