Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bell Tower for fortress-wide alarms  (Read 2603 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Bell Tower for fortress-wide alarms
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 09:02:28 am »

The maps aren't big enough for a bell to not reach people's ears. Sure you can pick an entire region but does anyone actually do that?

Yeah I have to agree with this, the whole point of using a bell as opposed to just cupping your hands and yelling is that a bell is fucking loud and the sound carries well.  If anything, dwarves standing too close should get an unhappy thought from being deafened.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 11:11:04 am »

Just as a side note, this could tie into a semi-militia mode.

I think in the past if a town was attacked, pretty much everyone came out to defend it.  The word 'alarm' comes from French 'a l'arme' which means 'to arms.'  It would be cool if dwarves started grabbing spears and helmets when the bell rings.  Then you could decide which ones to draft & such.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 02:05:43 pm »

A militia should be settable like the fortress guard.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2008, 02:34:26 pm »

"Somehow, I think that if a roof collapse doesn't cause sonic devastation, bells ringing also shouldn't."

Excluding chain reactions of collapsing and knocking out dwarves (painfully) for just being near it without any real injury except possibly being blown into objects.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 05:47:52 pm »

The maps aren't big enough for a bell to not reach people's ears. Sure you can pick an entire region but does anyone actually do that?

What radius do you suppose a bell would have? (do we have any idea what the actual scale of the maps are?)

LoS range, on clear terrain, what, 20 tiles? How far can you actually see on a perfectly flat surface (think how far a way you can see the next exit while driving on the highway)?

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 08:19:50 pm »

Yeah I have to agree with this, the whole point of using a bell as opposed to just cupping your hands and yelling is that a bell is fucking loud and the sound carries well.  If anything, dwarves standing too close should get an unhappy thought from being deafened.

And you could have bell-ringers who would slowly get used to being deafened, as with killing/butchers at present...
Pages: 1 [2]