Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Suggestion: Create designation "Break Stones"  (Read 2117 times)

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
Suggestion: Create designation "Break Stones"
« on: November 21, 2008, 03:07:39 am »

Create a designation that allows you to destroy stone as a miner.

An unskilled miner kinda does this already as they do not produce any rocks afterwords for a lot of digs but legendary minors can open a huge area and have a ton of stone left over. Probably should take a bit to crumble a rock to dust even for a skilled miner but would be handy if you wanted to create a storeroom without hauling all the stone to the chasm.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Create designation "Break Stones"
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 03:20:20 am »

You don't have to take it to the chasm: items in dumps stack, so you can just set up a 1*1 dump in the hall outside.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 03:28:41 am »

Or you can just hide them.

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 04:27:03 am »

Will hiding allow things to be stored in its location?

And while I do know you can  quantum compress the stone in a 1x1 stone dump I was looking for a way to make it disappear without watching my slaves carry it around and grabbing different Z levels stones or me having to mark each and every one for dumping and such.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 04:54:22 am »

Yeah, hidden stones might still "fill" stockpiles.  Uh, you could temporarily mod the melting/boiling point of that stone to something really low.  Watch out for melting workshops.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 05:01:24 am »

And while I do know you can  quantum compress the stone in a 1x1 stone dump I was looking for a way to make it disappear without watching my slaves carry it around and grabbing different Z levels stones or me having to mark each and every one for dumping and such.
Your slaves will only dump stones you have designated for dumping, and you can mass-designate the entire room-full of stones using d-b-d.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 09:01:42 am »

Welcome to the most-asked-question club!

Since this has been asked a gogolplex times already hopefully it will be taken care of.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 09:15:38 am »

I'm not sure the "stones filling stockpiles" bug still exists, actually.  I'm pretty sure I've seen dwarves fill food stockpiles properly even when they're already full of unwanted stones.  So, profit -- try just hiding the stones and placing a stockpile, and tell us if it works?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 10:06:42 am »

Welcome to the most-asked-question club!

Since this has been asked a gogolplex times already hopefully it will be taken care of.

Erm, it's really up for debate, since it's not actually broken unrealistic.  There's a lot of discussion that's gone into whether the realism of dealing with stone is part of the realism of the game, which would make it part of what's good about it.  Simplify it too much and it's dig dug.  Anyway, these discussion have been had ad nauseum elsewhere.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 10:11:25 am »

Erm, it's really up for debate, since it's not actually broken unrealistic.
But it is unrealistic that the unskilled miners make rocks disappear! :P
(yeah, we've had this discussion)
<3

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 06:45:40 pm »

I just checked a stockpile and the stone is actually not taking any space in it as the alcohol is sitting under the stones when I check it..
 I suppose there is technically no need for a command to break stones unless your trying to site a building but still.. would make me happier.....

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 04:05:09 am »

I just checked a stockpile and the stone is actually not taking any space in it as the alcohol is sitting under the stones when I check it..
 I suppose there is technically no need for a command to break stones unless your trying to site a building but still.. would make me happier.....

I will now commit necro on this thread to point out that yes, stones do block stockpiles to a large extent.  Refer to a bug-thread of mine, for example: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39411.0

I also agree on the destroy-stone designation, hell yes!

An alternative I have considered is also an additional mine-destructively designation that mines without creating any rock, like a newbie miner would.  Another alternative is a undesirable-toggle in the z - stone menu, where stone-types can be marked undesirable and from thereon forth always destroyed by miners rather than left as rock.

In short, kill all superfluous rock!

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 07:52:11 am »

Unrealistic in the extreme. Not that realism should trump fun, but remember--losing is fun. Meaning difficulty is fun! The tradeoff for mining is having to deal with the stone. Don't want the stone? Build aboveground.

Unless magic is involved, I'm not seeing why such blatant violation of conservation of mass would be worth seeing in the game when so much effort has been put into keeping things fairly realistic elsewhere. (I'm pretty sure matter-energy conversion with accompanying spreading of energy into a universe-wide sump is beyond 1400s technology.)

Making it an init option would work, however. Besides, I use my stone >.< I do like the idea of "break stone" though. I just don't know what we'd use gravel for!
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 09:08:39 am »

Unrealistic in the extreme.

Compared to the main alternative, which is creating a 1x1 garbage dump and dumping 100 rocks into that 1x1 square, which is more unrealistic? :)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 11:39:50 am »

Unrealistic in the extreme.

Compared to the main alternative, which is creating a 1x1 garbage dump and dumping 100 rocks into that 1x1 square, which is more unrealistic? :)

You only put 100 stones in a quantum stockpile? I have all the stone in my fortress stacked right next to my craftsdwarf's workshop. Mostly just to keep my haulers busy.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: [1] 2