Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Organization Mod (help please)  (Read 3260 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Organization Mod (help please)
« on: November 21, 2008, 01:58:12 am »

I know I am going to regret this, especially with schools, but...I stayed up 3 hours and modded in some Organizations, as inspired by E. Albright. The mod isn't tested, it might be complete and utter fail, and, since I do not know what "number" are referenced to which "creature" (and thus can't create my own "creatures"), I had to 'borrow' "creatures" from other Organizations, so there will be Agents working for Leninism and Agents working for the Government. Also, I do not know where the text for seiges are located.

Oh well. Let the train wreck a-rolling.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A3SG20GL

New Organizations:
---Leninist Crime Squad: These people desire to recreate the golden era of the USSR before Stalin peverted it. In some cases, they can be very useful allies, as they support Abortion Rights and Gay Rights (Both Abortion and Sodomy was legal, before Stalin banned it in the 1930's), Liberal Taxation Policies, Liberal Judges, freeing sweatshop workers, and stopping Pollution.

The Leninists however supports the Death Penatly, an powerful Police, suppression of free speech, nuclear power, and governmental spying. So one has to be careful.

The Organization is spilt into two, a Conservative division that wants to cause society to drift conservative on certain issues, and a Liberal divison that wants to cause society to drift liberal on certain issues. The LCS must assist the Liberal division while brutally crushing the Conservative division.

---The Apolitical_Crime_Squad: They don't interfere within Politics, preferring instead to profit no matter who's in power, but secretly, they do have one desire: More police regulations.

---Milita_Movement: Their goal is to fight for the appointment of Conservative judges, protecting gun control, and causing modifications to the tax code to eventually pave the way to zero taxation. These people fight against what they see as Government oppression, and sees the Liberal Crime Squad as a secret arm of the US Government.

---PETA: People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. They renounce violence. They will campagin for granting animals the right to vote in the tried and trusted manner of peaceful protest and buying out TV stations.

---Greenpeace: They are more focused on stopping Pollution and Nuclear Power than they are about animals' rights, but they also renounce violence and instead use their money to buy out TV stations.

---Genetics_Corporation: Having recruited a small personal army, the Genetics Corporation's main goal is to create a world's army and dominate the globe. It is against Pollution regulation and supports Animal Testing, both as a way to help in perfecting their latest creations.

Organizations not added in:
---ACLU: Doesn't seem to add much to the game unless if it gets countered by some Anti-ACLU group
---Radical Moderate CS: The system does not allow for Moderatism. There can be a possiblity of having two Moderate CSes working against each other, in the hope that their actions will cancel out causing Perfect Moderation....but that sounds stupid.
---NRA: Seems to be already duplicated by the Milita Movement
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 02:37:34 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: Organization Mod (help please)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 02:28:09 am »

This is really unpleasant news after you spent three hours working on this, but to my knowledge organizations were never completed and modifying the config file is unlikely to do anything at all in the current build of the game.  :-[

This does not mean that the game is completely unmodifiable, but as it stands now you'll probably need to break into the c++ source code to do anything substantial.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 02:45:55 am »

And I don't know how to do C++.

Meh. There are other methods...prehaps. Maybe. The actual workings of the CCS, is that hardcoded into the system as C++ or are there parts that can be modified with a simple text file? Maybe I can use the CCS as a template to form other Crime Squads (assuming that all parts of the CCS are not hard-coded in)...or maybe not. Doesn't hurt to inquire, I guess.

One other thing, are the triggers that causes Conservatives to seige your HQ hardcoded in or are they in a text file? Maybe that can be used...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 02:50:27 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 10:48:28 pm »

If you can get this working, how about adding a Police Advocacy Board as another group?

They would be for Conservative use of the Death Penalty, Conservative or Arch-Conservative in regards to police regulations, Elite Liberal or Liberal in Gun Control (more guns on the streets means more guns used against cops, but this might not be accurate, since most cops want to own guns for when they're off duty), Elite Liberal or Liberal in Taxation (more tax dollars means more cop cars, etc), and generally moderate (or indifferent, if you can code that) to everything else.  Also, they probably wouldn't be a violent group, since many members are cops and can simply bring the police down on enemies indirectly.  Course, maybe they're fed up with laws limiting "police effectiveness", and seek to circumvent such laws.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 02:43:59 am »

Well, for now, I'm going to try and implement the Leninist Crime Squad, if only because if I can create a society that is partially Arch-Conservative and partially Elite Liberal (at least according to the code), then that would mean other organizations such as the Police Advocacy Board can exist.

I think I finally got a good grasp of how the LCS code works. The only thing that I need to know is how do Cable News and AM Radio affects public views currently, and see if I can use that to create other organizations that would do something similar.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 03:22:43 am »

I seem to recall the Conservative Crime Squad would raid Public Broadcasting Stations.  Also, the newspaper mentions FM radio.  I wonder if they are in the code?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 11:03:11 am »

I don't know what actually causes the CCS to raid, but I do know that their raids are just the same as the LCS raiding News Stations and AM Radio (in that it impacts the issue, swaying them to the CCS' position). "Public Broadcasting Stations" and "FM Radio" are just flavor text.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 02:09:21 pm »

Cable News and FM Radio affect the issues in mothly.cpp, CCS raids on various targets are in news.cpp (starting line 1324), and the text for it is scattered throughout squadstory_text.cpp. CCS raids against your safehouses are in siege.cpp (starting line 446), CCS attacks against your squads are in chase.cpp (line 1099). There's more distributed in random places around the code. It's not very well organized. I'm sorry I can't help more right now, I have an AI research project I can't put off any longer.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 06:58:14 pm »

Updates:
---Leninist Crime Squad renamed to Stalinist Comrade Squad, because of humor value, and also because of a code problem.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

---Gun Control is now made a seperate issue entirely, and can only be affected by attacking the [DELETED FOR SECURITY REASONS].
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

---New Building, the Union Gazette. This is the base for the Stalinists. I do not know how to program in the Stalinists shutting down if you close their base. Hope to program in some Printing Presses you can destroy there. The Stalinsts have NKVD Agents, Red Army troops, and Commissars. All of which are highly trained (altough I believe they will be nerfed, I'm no good at game balance).

---Setting aside plans for a Consitutional Amendment that can have the Stalinists win the game. I hope to tie it to the Issues, if the Issues follow Stalinist positions, then the states will call for a Consitutional Convention. If the Stalinists pass the amendment, THEY win the game. Not sure how to tie it to issues, so until that happens, I'm going to leave it as it is.

---If you uncover Stalinist secrets, you will attract Stalinist raids and attacks.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 11:39:29 am »

Um, I just posted to say I sent the final code off to Johnatan S. Fox to see if it is feasible or not. We'll see.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 11:46:02 am »

I haven't had the opportunity to do anything with it but look at it, but from what I've seen it will require a bit of work but can probably be incorporated in with a compiler switch at least, or perhaps an option on game start.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 11:53:34 am »

Phew. That's good to know.

My main dream is to have lots of rival organizations (including, but not limited to the four Political Ideologies represented by the Nolan Chart [Populist/Stalinist, Conservative, Liberal, and Libertarian], however inaccurate and flawed it is, at least it's simple). But I could see it being unbalancing and rather confusing to new players, so I can see it being an option.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 04:39:03 pm »

What I would like to see is a "multipolar" game where the LCS is not the only one out there with an agenda. Everyone else has their own. Some are friends, some are enemies... which is pretty much right here. Great work, man.

You should have relations with other entities - diplomacy etc. You should be able to run in, steal their stuff and then blame it on someone else, get sleepers in their organization to preach your good graces, and most importantly alter their stance on issues, as was mentioned in the SCS. Great job. I would love to see this implemented.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 06:16:52 pm »

Uh, couldn't you just use Sorceforge or the Dwarf Fortress site for your link, so we don't have to sign up?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 06:20:49 pm »

Uh, couldn't you just use Sorceforge or the Dwarf Fortress site for your link, so we don't have to sign up?

I emailed it to Johanatan S. Fox, rather than making it public. I suppose I could post it as a spoiler so those who know about C++ could compile it themselves...but it is spoilers...
Pages: [1] 2