Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Suggestion: Remove engraving and move smoothing to masonary and ...  (Read 3251 times)

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile

Very simple idea.

Remove engraving and move smoothing to the masonary skill and engraving to the stonecrafting skill.

I think it would help fix the logic in that smoothing is not really engraving but does tie in with masonary and stonecrafting really is basicly engraving.

<in reference to ->
Req567, SMOOTHING AND ENGRAVING SKILLS, (Future): They aren't closely related, so they should have different skills and professions, although having a skill entirely for smoothing stone seems like a stretch.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 03:08:16 am by profit »
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
Re: Sugjestion: Remove engraving and move smoothing to masonary and ...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 01:37:31 am »

Masons are usually in the build grind, 24/7/52.

Stone Crafters need to focus on exportable goods.

And engravers need to smooth walls so they can egrave.

So, if you engrave a rough wall, you get a crude engraving.
And if you do it on a smooth one, you get an engraving.

So, X Your Suggestion X, XX Your Suggestion XX, DESTROYED!!!

But this is an early argument, so stick it back to me.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 01:40:42 am by Foa »

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sugjestion: Remove engraving and move smoothing to masonary and ...
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 03:02:04 am »

yeah so... Didn't say they were not often already busy doing something, just said the skillsets matched, and it would be logical to combine them.

Gameplay wise it might be an entirely different ball of wax and would require a little sacrifice of dwarves that are in already high demand...

The rough engraving is a good idea though, allow an engraving on a rough wall that has not been smoothed and it would make a much less valuable but still very nice engraving.

(As an aside I am using dwarf manager v.2 so making a bunch of masons is kinda trivial.)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 03:10:04 am by profit »

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Remove engraving and move smoothing to masonary and ...
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 06:29:30 am »

This makes a lot of sense and smoothly fills a req (Which is always a good thing).

It would require a few more masons early on to get the smooth walls going. However most forts that end up making huge constructions end up with a significant mason army anyway.

As far as stonecrafters not being available for engraving: poppy-cock. I have yet to have a fort that did not have an excess of legendary stonecrafters from moods, any one of which would spam enough piccolos and crowns to fill an outrageous storehouse if I left the task on repeat. This would actually give those freeloaders something to do past year 4 or 5.

This also potentially frees up some labor in a late fortress since you don't need a dedicated engraving corps.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 06:58:50 am »

Having stonecrafters handle engraving does make sense, but I'm not sure it makes sense to have masons responsible for smoothing stone.

Never mind, I guess it kinda does -- masons make blocks, which are used to make a "smooth stone block wall," so clearly they're responsible for some kind of smoothing already.

Thumbs up.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 08:51:54 am »

I find that their is enough engraving activity to justify keeping Engraver as a profession even if engraving was the only thing under that profession (though perhaps some way to engrave items could be added to round it out). Having the Masons do the smoothing would be reasonably but if thats done they then it provides even more incentive to split Masons into two professions 'StoneCutter' (all workshop activities and wall smoothing), and 'Mason' (building construction).
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 08:59:53 am »

Well, I think that skilled engravers might actually take advantage of an uneven, rough surface for depth effects, so it is not a given that engraving a rough surface should lower the quality of engravings. However, engraving rough surfaces should take *longer* since novice engravers need to smooth it, and expert engravers need to take the unevenness into consideration.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 08:59:56 am »

Very simple idea.

Remove engraving and move smoothing to the masonary skill and engraving to the stonecrafting skill.

I think it would help fix the logic in that smoothing is not really engraving but does tie in with masonary and stonecrafting really is basicly engraving.

<in reference to ->
Req567, SMOOTHING AND ENGRAVING SKILLS, (Future): They aren't closely related, so they should have different skills and professions, although having a skill entirely for smoothing stone seems like a stretch.

Agreed.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 09:00:28 am »

There's no reason the skills being unified would mean the labors have to be unified. Having smoothing as part of masonry doesn't mean you have to have the same people doing them. In fact, I'd like to see aspects of masonry split up as separate labors - particularly, split building (mainly of constructions) from making things in the mason workshop [you wouldn't need to split making blocks from making furniture since you can control that with workshop profiles and limit the number of dwarfs assigned to it by the number of workshops]
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 09:02:36 am by Random832 »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 09:21:05 am »

There's no reason the skills being unified would mean the labors have to be unified. Having smoothing as part of masonry doesn't mean you have to have the same people doing them. In fact, I'd like to see aspects of masonry split up as separate labors - particularly, split building (mainly of constructions) from making things in the mason workshop [you wouldn't need to split making blocks from making furniture since you can control that with workshop profiles and limit the number of dwarfs assigned to it by the number of workshops]

Two separate labors that use the same skill is unprecedented AFAIK, but it certainly makes sense here.  Hopefully the game doesn't rely on a one-to-one correspondence between skills and labors.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 10:10:59 am »

Two separate labors that use the same skill is unprecedented AFAIK, but it certainly makes sense here.  Hopefully the game doesn't rely on a one-to-one correspondence between skills and labors.
I like this, but I still like the engraving skill...

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 01:52:06 pm »

Customizable skills is the way to go, of course. It would be a welcome simplification of the skills list for the tiime being. There are other skills that could be thrown together (soap maker, lye maker, potash maker, alchemist, for instance, or butchery or fish cleaning with their respective dissection skills).
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 01:53:53 pm »

Customizable skills, tasks and jobs... ;)

(Job is what you assign a dwarf, Task is the physical thing a dwarf does, and skill is what the dwarf rolls to accomplish it)

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 09:07:44 pm »

You know....

If you could give dwarfs work area's that they preferred to be in, it would help things like keeping your masons from all abandoning your megaproject if you want a little smoothing done..  Just assign a few to prefer the megaproject's area and a few to prefer the smoothing area...  Could really be useful for many other things as well...

Hmm LOL I think I found another feature to request!

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 02:58:27 pm »

I always thought of smoothing as practice for engraving. Try and get the wall smooth without making a niche and we'll talk about your idea for an image of squares and circles, the circles are smoothing the squares.
Of course... that would imply the block making is both engraving and masonry... and stonecrafting... Then again, since reenforced corridors and bricked up walls would likely accompany a new cave in system, this would all be redone again anyway.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer
Pages: [1] 2