Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: WURM Online. Because apparently it's been done before..  (Read 7473 times)

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
WURM Online. Because apparently it's been done before..
« on: May 30, 2008, 10:18:00 am »

Three times at least, if search is right. But they're all too old to warrent revival, so I made this new post here.

So, I have to prise myself away from DF for a while for my processor's sake, so I hunt around for an alternative that wouldn't suck down as much of my time. Obviously I failed, because the first thing I came across was Wurm. Yeah. A day or so later my internet gives out, so I'm forced to stop playing. Now that it's back, I'm looking to throw myself back into the game... But this time, I want to drag some people with me...

Warnings about the game from a newbie's perspective. One, NewTown, the starting point, is very very large, and very very laggy. Don't let it get you down. Also, ATI cards apparently can have issues, but that's solved by swapping shaders. I moved way away from NewTown and my lag went down to a more acceptable level. Which led me to...

Two. When they say the world is large, they mean it. It also wants you for breakfast. The first time I voyaged off, to find a spot to forage for my tutorial gear quest thinger, I came back four hours later with a much thicker pack, before falling down a pit and getting mowed down upon by a crazed dog. Luckily you keep your newbie gear, so I could finish the tutorial and get the things I'd need to survive.

Three. Skills are slow. They fail a lot, too. I found this out throughout my quest. However, it was good enough for me that, eventualy, I got the thing I wanted.

Four. It's a LOT like DF. Imagine if you were one of the dwarves. Now, make mining take longer alone and be workable via group, and have things require less workshops and more tools, and remove the embark screen. Unfortunately, you can't technicaly build your home underground, due to a lack of multilevel building (which apparently they're fixing after boats), but I find that if you're willing to live without doors and with repairing things more often, it seems living underground is a perfectly viable option.

So yeah. RECRUITMENT TIME. Second wandering I stuck to the road, and ended up at the end of an ongoing road project by Pheonix Enterprises. So I'm rather up in the middle of what is, for once, certifiably the middle of nowhere, plus a road, water, and a roadside supply station nearby that could be broken into and raide- I mean respected, even though it's outside a settlement. (Seriously, I'd want to look into getting access without breaking in).

I have a lil' settlement plan written out from when the net was gone. Anyone up to create yet another DF-Syling residence?

((Edit: Oh, ARMOK DAMN IT. ))

[ May 30, 2008: Message edited by: Haven ]

niaba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WURM Online. Because apparently it's been done before..
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 04:26:00 pm »

I'm up for it. But I'm kinda new at this. Will get back to actually doing the tutorial rather than wandering around aimlessly.
ust pretend this is interesting.

Vodalian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 06:29:00 pm »

The problem with wurm is they expect you to dedicate your life to it. I took a break to go on vacation, when I came back, my house was decayed, all my crap was stolen etc etc. So many towns have been abandoned because once you take a break, kiss everything you worked for goodbye.

[ May 30, 2008: Message edited by: Vodalian ]

Jikor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.monkeydonkey.info
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 06:36:00 pm »

What is your name ingame?

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 08:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Vodalian:
<STRONG>The problem with wurm is they expect you to dedicate your life to it. I took a break to go on vacation, when I came back, my house was decayed, all my crap was stolen etc etc. So many towns have been abandoned because once you take a break, kiss everything you worked for goodbye.
</STRONG>

I'd recommend having a few people to look after/repair your stuff while you were gone...

My ingame name's Darchane.

Agent Vennell

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 09:40:00 am »

I'd join you.
I've played Wurm for quite a while, and enjoying my time in another game that's like Wurm, but costs money. ((Roma Victor, for those who care.))
But yeah, I've got a character on there with quite a few high skills and experience in building who could help out.
o power in the verse can stop me.

AmberMac

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 10:34:00 am »

Nice, I love wurm, Its just that my computer cant run it right, Its always verry laggy no matter what the case.
"As soon as life start, It ends, there is no meaning, But to live your years, Turn into mulch for the next generation."

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 12:25:00 pm »

Perhaps.
Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 10:29:00 am »

LEGAL DOUBLE POST!

Ok, I joined some people at home server, wild is gonna be soon premium only   :(. You could too, perhaps.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 05:07:00 pm »

Lets use this thread anyway. I like the color scheme of other games.

I've been playing since mid december. I started out at Copperblazes, the original bay12 village. It went inactive fast, and by early february I was hanging out with some guys living nearby. Eventually, me and lureman(guy nearby) left the west coast and moved to Small Bears.

I've been at small bears ever since. Its a wonderful village about 5 minutes east of Newtown, great people and lots of land, high QL forges and materials and whatnot from our high skilled players, lots of resources, beachside property, etc. Our co-mayor Gurubear is a developer, which means that we're basically gods on the test server (a third wurm server where everything can and will be messed with constantly, used to test new updates) and we get lots of info on all the development going on in wurm.

I wouldn't really be willing to join you guys, but if anyone is just starting out at newtown and needs help with stuff, PM me and I'll

Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

niaba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 05:17:00 pm »

Getting the hang of it now. Living in some guy's back yard in an empty shack near New Town.
In-game name is Niaba. Add me if this ever gets off the ground (Can you add people without physically looking at them?).
ust pretend this is interesting.

Projectmayhem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 05:48:00 pm »

I decided to give Wurm a chance. I just started but i'd like to join. My name's the same on there.

Is it pointless if i dont have premium?

[ June 01, 2008: Message edited by: Projectmayhem ]

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 12:04:00 pm »

It ain't pointless. We could use some more people. We will have to kill a troll champion (probably lure it away to guards) sooo more people is good. If you have msn, write it here.

[ June 02, 2008: Message edited by: Kyselina ]

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 12:11:00 pm »

I might join you guys.  I had a somewhat high level premium character half a year ago.  I need to see how badly my skills have decayed and what stuff from my house hasn't rotted/got stolen.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 12:23:00 pm »

Way too slow to even move.

[ June 02, 2008: Message edited by: Helmaroc ]

Pages: [1] 2