Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Bronze Fixing  (Read 11490 times)

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bronze Fixing
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2008, 02:50:15 pm »

I find nothing wrong with running around with a gold hammer. It's a transforming weapon, today its a hammer, tommorow a mace and yesterday it started as an axe. I mean whats the worst that will happen? Will a gold hammer suddenly lose it's lethal heaviness, "hey man can you pass me another mace this one has gone all sharp on me!" Sure its going to deform some, but take a look at what the other guy is going to be.
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2008, 03:12:39 pm »

Not to mention the large percentage of the game content which will be pure fantasy.

Like I said tags that have narrow effects are better then creating those effects from raw data, just imagine how much you would need to do to compute damage from physical properties, you need something to reflect how sharp an edge the metal holds, how hard it is, how brittle it is, how dense it is etc etc.  And then you have to combine these factors in multiple ways to reflect rather obvious necessity like cutting vs piercing damage.  So now we have a system in which a player needs to open up the raws or wiki and do a bunch of math to see if a bronze sword will do more or less damage then a bismuth bronze sword.  Can anyone seriously claim thats fun?  And if the game actually had ANY kind of decent in-game 'Civilopedia' that just tells you what the results of these formulas is then WTF was the point other then making the game harder to mod and consuming many CPU cycles instead of a byte of memory.

For me the strategy nuance comes from the comparison and weighting of high level effects, one metal takes more time and fuel to make, another is better for a weapon I have already skilled dwarfs for yet its also usable for another high priority purpose.  All this combines to create unique situations ware the optimum thing to do is not obvious.  Being forced to make decisions from ignorance is not strategy or very fun for that matter.  It is the widely varied situation combined with well balanced effects that produce strategy.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 03:15:24 pm by Impaler[WrG] »
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2008, 03:16:05 pm »

then WTF was the point other then making the game harder to mod.

It does not make it harder to mod if you want to add in a real or fanciful metal or alloy with well-defined properties. It only makes it harder to mod if you want to make a screw-the-world OVER 9000!!!!!!1! metal to make your stuff out of.
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2008, 03:31:58 pm »

I find nothing wrong with running around with a gold hammer. It's a transforming weapon, today its a hammer, tommorow a mace and yesterday it started as an axe. I mean whats the worst that will happen? Will a gold hammer suddenly lose it's lethal heaviness, "hey man can you pass me another mace this one has gone all sharp on me!" Sure its going to deform some, but take a look at what the other guy is going to be.
Going through golden hammers by the bushel is also a problem, albeit a logistical one. ;p

Now, actually using the thing to any affect is another matter.  A very dense metal is going to hurt a lot, naturally, but that in itself makes it quite heavy - just utilizing it like a normal hammer should probably take a legendary+ hammer wielder.  Now combine very low hardness and tensile strength which even in terms of blunt damage should be a big hit to damage, and it turns out golden hammers aren't such a good idea after all.

This is just using three determining factors - density, tensile strength, and hardness - and already any funkiness with golden weapons is solved.  Practically all metals (with the preservation of a melting point so no pure mercury maces) could be handled this way and would behave pretty naturally.  You could still have Adamantium being the strongest metal available, with density and hardness in the 'sweet spot' and it'd work just fine in terms of surpassing steel, etc.

But yeah, over 9000 metals would be pretty hard if it is handled semi-realistically.  That could be remedied by supporting something like [Override:Damage_Slashing:9001] where the formula for slashing damage is disregarded and the end result substituted with the given override, I guess.
ow did this get here

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2008, 03:42:21 pm »

This may be heresy, but the one of the purposes of vanilla in a heavily moddable game is to give examples of pretty much everything.  The range of exsisting materials should show the various extremes (actually, 8 materials should be able to cover everything on the trinary scale.)

Anywho, this could also apply to stones as well...

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2008, 03:48:27 pm »

because there's only one reality.

Says who?
For all practical purposes, of course.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2008, 03:57:34 pm »

Says who?
For all practical purposes, of course.

What about the impractical porpoises?

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2008, 07:02:41 pm »

I find it quite amazing what Adamantine hammer could throw creatures at incredible distances while being extremely light. Damage system surely should be revised.

Well it's made up, (sort of) so of course it's going to have magical properties. It is found nead HFS after all.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2008, 08:28:51 pm »

I admit, super light adamantine hammers hitting so hard is a bit absurd. And golden hammers shouldn't be effective because, honestly, no matter how hard you hit somebody, if they were wearing plate (and to a lesser degree, chain) armor where you hit, the hammer might bruise them, but it would be dented beyond any use. However, lead and other dense, less malleable metals would make fine bludgeoning tools, and wood should honestly be more effective at piercing.

I still kind of think adamantine should be useful in hammers while still being light, but there isn't any way I could think of to do it (super low malleability and high hardness, maybe, but there has to be a point where increasing malleability and hardness by a lot hardly increases damage). Maybe we could give adamantine a "golf club" (or "spring" effect, if you like) where hitting the enemy causes it to temporarily bend inward and then snap out with extra force. Of course, that would make it even more complex. IE, it would be more dwarven. WOO!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2008, 10:54:41 pm »

Lead is pretty much as malleable as gold...  There's a reason they thought they could turn one into another...

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2008, 11:01:10 pm »

Didn't know lead was malleable. Ignore that, then.

But hammers made out of granite. Man, that would be fun. Or even diamond hammers. WOO!

EDIT: Forgot to mention. Diamond hammers was a joke. Obviously, it would be hard to cut a diamond into a hammer shape with dwarven technology. Granite mauls are still fun, though!

commondragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2008, 11:17:48 pm »

If dwarves can turn fortresses into giant computers that run off of cats, and can melt down adamantine (and not burn themselves, silly dwarfs) even tho you require the body temp of a "SPOILER, YOU SHOULD KNOW IF YOU KNOW" to actually melt it, I think you can get dwarfs to cut giant diamonds into hammers.  OR better yet, diamond spears.
WheEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ACE91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SECTOR91 Productions
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2008, 11:39:38 pm »

ACE91, Programmer cancels Strange Mood: Went insane.
Says who?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2008, 11:50:18 pm »

Didn't know lead was malleable. Ignore that, then.

But hammers made out of granite. Man, that would be fun. Or even diamond hammers. WOO!

EDIT: Forgot to mention. Diamond hammers was a joke. Obviously, it would be hard to cut a diamond into a hammer shape with dwarven technology. Granite mauls are still fun, though!

IMHO, stone and diamond would make worse hammers.  Gold will deform a bit, but stone is likely to shatter.

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2008, 11:52:09 pm »

I'm talking about stone blocks here, not rocks. I think a brick on a stick swung at a goblins... head... wouldn't be as likely to shatter as the goblins head. Still, it would be nice. Somewhat powerful, easy to make, and disposable weapons.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4