Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exporting armies  (Read 1168 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Exporting armies
« on: November 20, 2008, 09:36:38 pm »

once the army arc is done, maybe being able to take your army and attack other forts? such as the goblin hometown? maybe wipe out that city so that they stop sending sieges, which may cause the rest of the nation to declare war on you. Anything to make it more interesting.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Re: Exporting armies
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 10:11:25 pm »

I'm pretty sure this is what the army arc is all about.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 07:05:46 am »

I'm pretty sure this is what the army arc is all about.

Yes.  For the OP's edification, here's the main core item related to that portion of the army arc:

# Core27, ARMIES OF DWARVES, (Future): You should be able to send patrols (and, as you get more dwarves, armies) out over the world map. They could attack smaller nearby threats, such as a kobold cave, or let you know about incoming invasions.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 07:17:29 am »

Wiping out all the threats with a handful of soap maker champions doesn't sound too fun but by then I suppose they'll be breeding and expanding their territory

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 07:22:34 am »

And remember, some of them will have legendary soap makers too! I think it would be cool if some of the gobo-dwarves (the ones kidnapped and raised) were outfitted in adamantine armor they stole from an abandoned dwarf settlement. Then you'd REALLY have a challenge!
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 09:10:30 am »

once the army arc is done, maybe being able to take your army and attack other forts? such as the goblin hometown? maybe wipe out that city so that they stop sending sieges, which may cause the rest of the nation to declare war on you. Anything to make it more interesting.

Yeah, this will be possible, when the Army Arc will be fully functional...and once that is done, all we need is an advanced diplomacy system, and voila, the strategic part of DF will be epic.  8)
Note:
I am only worried about the overland tactical/strategical AI. I hope that Toady can make it decent enough. Bad AI can completely ruin the fun, what the Army Arc will offer.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 09:17:03 am »

Yeah, this will be possible, when the Army Arc will be fully functional...and once that is done, all we need is an advanced diplomacy system, and voila, the strategic part of DF will be epic.  8)
Note:
I am only worried about the overland tactical/strategical AI. I hope that Toady can make it decent enough. Bad AI can completely ruin the fun, what the Army Arc will offer.

He actually has some pretty surprising dev stuff about individual control of soldiers who are out on patrol.  In fortress mode!  So you might get to make your own mistakes.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 12:11:10 pm »

It might be interesting if you could export an army the same way you can save starting builds, then be able to trade the text documents with people, perhaps allowing them to plug in your army into their game upon generation of a world.

Or you could pit your army against theirs in a random battlefield that is separate of the rest of the game.

Sort of like Battleships Forever, single player, but you can go up against other peoples battleship builds in an arena environment.

The problem I guess would be the fact that your AI army would be going up against a human opponent.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 12:12:57 pm by Davion »