Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: BEES  (Read 9280 times)

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
Re: BEES
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2008, 11:01:30 pm »

Is that the same as being struck down or bleeding to death?

Who knows what really happens down there. Death? Or perhaps something worse!

*Bee poker game*

Insidious.

E-mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2008, 03:45:32 am »

It's a bottomless pit. You fall at terminal velocity until you die of dehydration/starvation.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2008, 03:51:23 am »

He said, and by that I was also refering to, a Deep Chasm. Not a Bottomless Pit. If that were the case, then that could happen. That or you would be dashed against the sides. But no. Deep Chasm. NOT Bottomless Pit.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2008, 09:31:14 am »

Weeelll, no matter how deep it is, if it isn't bottomless then it has a bottom. So eventually you reach the bottom, from falling at terminal velocity, so you're going reeeaaally fast, and you explode. The impact and hardness of the bottom surface will turn all that you have ever been, are, and could be, into a fine bloody mist. And one kickass story.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2008, 10:54:10 am »

As you get further into the Earth, the air puressure increases. Theoretically, you could get to a density where terminal velocity is only a few miles an hour. Of course by then you would be crushed under the puressure, or have your more sensitive parts crushed under the puressure.

So either instant splat or gradual crushing.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2008, 10:57:29 am »

i thought gravity decreases as you get closer to the center of the earth, just like in that one cartoon (ya know, the one with Buster and Babs and all the loony toons ripoffs)

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2008, 11:31:08 am »

THE PAIN
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2008, 12:24:55 pm »

i thought gravity decreases as you get closer to the center of the earth, just like in that one cartoon (ya know, the one with Buster and Babs and all the loony toons ripoffs)

Gravity would increase.... It's similair to heat radiating from a fire. It doesn't make sense to be burned from standing 20 ft. away, but be freezing while standing in the fire.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2008, 12:31:54 pm »

Gravity would increase.... It's similair to heat radiating from a fire. It doesn't make sense to be burned from standing 20 ft. away, but be freezing while standing in the fire.
Gravity does not work that way. There is not some point at the center of the Earth where the gravity is rediating. Every piece of matter emits gravity. It is the collective force of all the matter on the planet pulling us down. So the farther you get to the center, the more of that mass is behind you pulling at you. Thus at the center of the Earth you would be in a state of weightlessness due to gravitational forces canceling out.
 And I think you would get crushed from the weight of all the air above you long before you die of starvation or thirst.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2008, 04:13:00 pm »

Gravity does not work that way. There is not some point at the center of the Earth where the gravity is rediating. Every piece of matter emits gravity. It is the collective force of all the matter on the planet pulling us down. So the farther you get to the center, the more of that mass is behind you pulling at you. Thus at the center of the Earth you would be in a state of weightlessness due to gravitational forces canceling out.
 And I think you would get crushed from the weight of all the air above you long before you die of starvation or thirst.

Well I more or less meant it up to a point. By the time you get rubber-banded back from going to deep, you're going to have pierced through lava and extreme amounts of pressure, so you'd probably die before good ol' mother nature threw your corpse back up the hole you came from.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2008, 05:03:26 pm »

Oh yah beees!

are these bees pets?
I thought there was a problem with flying 'dwarves' ...?

This mods the bees knees!
it needs further study.....
....don't bees die when they use stinger?
Is that implemented here?
How? Or would it bee possible. ;)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2008, 05:16:09 pm »

@ fortress name:

ZUUU ZUUU!
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Skynet 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Rogue AI
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2008, 05:19:59 pm »

Actually, in the center of the earth, (assuming you somehow found a way around the whole heat thing), all the mass of the earth would then be pulling you equally outward in every direction, so instead of being pulled down, you would be pulled apart. The forces would cancel out, so you would feel weightless, but you would need a protective suit, just like in a vacuum, to prevent yourself from being ripped apart.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 05:21:35 pm by Skynet 2.0 »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2008, 05:56:52 pm »

Actually, in the center of the earth, (assuming you somehow found a way around the whole heat thing), all the mass of the earth would then be pulling you equally outward in every direction, so instead of being pulled down, you would be pulled apart. The forces would cancel out, so you would feel weightless, but you would need a protective suit, just like in a vacuum, to prevent yourself from being ripped apart.
While I admit I am not knowledgable in beyond highschool science, I'm sure all things would cencel out. And a suit would not save you, as we have yet to devise a way to block gravity.
 As, say, one side of the planet is pulling at you, the other side is also pulling at you. This is not on your surface, but on every bit of matter in your body equally enough to not matter. Unless the gravity goes through some oddity at such a point(As there has been no direct observation of such a theoretical point), each atom of your being would feel every force and not move.
 Now mind you this should be taken with a grain of salt, and likely a landmass like Asia would pull at you more than the Pacific Ocean, but from what I understand(And a limited understanding at that), you would be weightless.

Edit: BEEEEEEEEES!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 06:09:44 pm by Duke 2.0 »

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2008, 05:58:47 pm »

GRAVITY IS FOR SISSIES!

BEEEEEES!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8