Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Persistent Browser-Based Games  (Read 8919 times)

Rabek Jeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Persistent Browser-Based Games
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 10:50:00 am »

Netropolis. Different from other browser games, and I actually have fun with it.
http://netropolis.lineone.net/

Basically a semi-mafia-esque business game. With cherry bombs. And fire. Lots of fire.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 05:45:00 pm »

Been a while since I really played it, but King of Spades was pretty unique. It's set in the real world (sort of), with a superhero-esque twist - your character has powers and a super ego from the beginning. You also have to keep and advance through a career path if you want access to stuff like vehicles. Unfortunately it looks like it's stagnant, and when I checked there weren't very many players. Still has some interesting stuff to it.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2008, 02:11:00 am »

i am also enjoying www.core-exiles.com  quite a lot.  I'm a Space Dwarf!

...not really...but i do mine ore and...well...that's close.

Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 03:21:00 pm »

One that I've recently got into is Ikariam. It's not one you need to devote enormous amount of time into, but is still interesting.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 08:39:54 am »

http://www.heroeswm.com/

tactical combat is cool..huh,huh.
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Sunstrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 08:12:12 pm »

I'm a long time player of www.pardus.at

It's similar to the old Trade Wars BBS game.  You'll either love it, or be bored to death by it.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 10:09:13 pm »

I'm an ex-player of Pardus, one of a former alliance who got themselves banned for not breaking the rules.

So I can't recommend it.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 02:39:04 am »

i tried to like pardus...good tutorial...but it is just so damn ugly.

-Blackthorne

Sunstrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 10:17:50 am »

I'm an ex-player of Pardus, one of a former alliance who got themselves banned for not breaking the rules.

So I can't recommend it.

Anyone I might recognize?  Quite a few players have gotten axed for illusionary rulebreaks -- I'm rather certain that during a certain era there was a group of players actively getting others banned by gaming the cheat detection in the game.

As for the graphics, I've rebuilt almost every graphic in the game, if its the graphics then I can at least prescribe a significantly less ugly package of images.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 04:51:43 pm »

Sunstrike, I was a former Ranger.  If you do not know who they are, you aren't that old of a player.  We got banned due to the developers "Wasting too much time on us".  I've got a lot of stories, but I'd rather not take up the whole forum.

Sunstrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2008, 06:03:29 pm »

Sunstrike, I was a former Ranger.  If you do not know who they are, you aren't that old of a player.  We got banned due to the developers "Wasting too much time on us".  I've got a lot of stories, but I'd rather not take up the whole forum.

That's what I thought.  Indeed that was a long time ago, just after I began playing in fact.  Nothing quite like that has happened since.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 07:04:47 pm »

Yeah, banning an alliance because they were effective opposition to a developer-backed player pirate faction even once is too often, and we recieved nearly a full year of flak before they finally had enough, and banned us all.  They've always picked people and groups to recieve free turns, money, and other perks.

The first incident in the entire thing was the stripping of the best combat player in the game of his statistics, and tipping off our opponents of it.

I do know that they haven't done things to that extreme since, but I know they haven't stopped, merely gotten more subtle.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 07:21:35 pm by Devastator »

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 02:42:09 am »

-Blackthorne

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 12:12:50 pm »

http://www.hacker-project.com/index.php?action=guide#a1

lots of neat technobabble ....but the gold membership scheme sounds fairly unbalancing....

-Blackthorne

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2008, 04:55:32 pm »

Noone mentions Kingdom of Loathing? http://www.kingdomofloathing.com

It plays much like a single-player RPG. Most player interaction happens through selling items, joining clans and casting buffs on each other.

Classes include Pastamancers, Seal Clubbers and Saucerors with skills such as Cocktailcrafting or Entangling Noodles.
An 'Ascension' system allows you to be reborn as a new class while keeping a skill and your items, so lots of people try to finish the a 'run' as fast as possible to collect skills and gain a position on the leaderboards.

The game is made from references to all sorts of popular culture, probably including Dwarf Fortress.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4