Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Persistent Browser-Based Games  (Read 8921 times)

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Persistent Browser-Based Games
« on: May 28, 2008, 12:43:00 pm »

I've seen a few posted here, but I'd just like to ask anybody to list some recommendable Persistent Browser Based Games.

They seem to be growing in popularity, I see a banner ad for a new one almost everywhere I go online lately.

The only one I've played is Cantr II and I totally loved it (similar to Wurm-Online in your browser).  It has a huge persistant world where everything is hand-crafted by real players.  There are no NPC's, besides animals for hunting and players are required to band together in clans or villages to survive.  Discussing tips, maps and events out of the game is prohibited so the game has an almost "Myst"-like quality to discovery.  You will find projects, journals and maps of the deceased and can continue the work that they began.  
An example of a typical in-game event could be to discover a cabin in the wilderness where it's last owner's remains are strewn about.  Finding their journal you discover that they gave into starvation and lion attacks.  Using their gathered resources you can continue to build their house and continue the work they began.

There are only a couple things that bothered me about this game.  It is played in real time, so travelling from one village to the next can literally take several real-world days (your character continues to walk when you're logged out).  It's a cool concept, but gets dreadfully boring at times.
Also, magic and magical creatures do not exist.  I think it would be a little more fun to be able to slay monsters and acquire magical equipment.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Persistent Browser-Based Games
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 02:17:00 pm »

If you don't mind learning russian, TimeZero is a decent permanent-world browser game. Not everything happens in-game, as in you can't just go out and start a city (or at least it was that way last I remember), but if you amass enough wealth you can start building things inside existing cities, like factories and stuff. The game mostly revolves around battling monsters though, and isn't as continuous as I'd like. Plus it's damn hard, and new players are sometimes very vulnerable to "old" players that like to monitor new people engaging monsters. On the flip side, some old players like to help new players that wind up against hard enemies. All in all, that game as I remember it wasn't as good as I'd like it. I don't know what it's turned into now, I haven't looked at it in several years.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 02:34:00 pm »

TimeZero sounds cool, but yeah I kind of do mind learning Russian!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 02:43:00 pm »

Supposedly there's an english version of the client. Or something, I dunno. Check out the english section of the site. I doubt you will find many english-speakers though.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 03:39:00 pm »

Post-Nuclear, I knew it.  That area of the world seems to have a fixation with the post-apocalyptic genre.
Shoes...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 03:50:00 pm »

Well, why not? Who else than the most probable cause of the scenario?

We've also got the Sphere mmorpg, and it ain't postapocalyptic.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 03:54:00 pm »

That's true, nuclear holocausts are super-cool.
Shoes...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu:
<STRONG>nuclear holocausts are super-cool.</STRONG>
Yeah, literally.  :)

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 04:17:00 pm »

I play Cantr more than DF. Mauahahahaha!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 04:39:00 pm »

I have tried to get into Cantr twice, but there's something unexciting about playing an online game where I'm not allowed to plan to meet up with my friends or talk about in-game details in ordinary conversation.  Plus, everyone on that game seems to try to roleplay the same two or three types of characters - you know, the typical RPG player archetypes.  It would be fun to introduce *different* types of characters and societies than the same ol' same ol', but in order to do that you'd need to communicate outside of the game to get ideas started, and that's a big no-no.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 04:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu:
<STRONG>Post-Nuclear, I knew it.  That area of the world seems to have a fixation with the post-apocalyptic genre.</STRONG>
This area of the world seems to have a fixation with the magical genre.

I'm still waiting for that part of the world with a fixation on the giant orbital cannon genre.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 05:02:00 pm »

I tend to find all PBBGs extremely boring, mainly because they're all the same. I love the idea of the genre, it's just that it's so universally bland and horribly implemented, it has become kind of tainted for me. The vast majority out there are "you have x ammounts of energy / actions / power per 24hrs and you spend it to do x / y / z" and whilst that's a solid gameplay mechanic, it's not the only one.

I did have the basis of a PBBG rolling around my head based on this idea though (it's a long read but worth it - check out the forum post on it there for more info) - that sort of game would rock the cocks off 500 bears with sheer awesome. It'd also be a spectacular failure, but hey - it'd still be spectacular.

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 05:03:00 pm »

Here's a nice little site I found with a lot of PBBGs: http://pbbg.wikidot.com/

Has anyone played Fallen Sword?  I've heard mixed reviews on it, but it seemed interesting.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 05:41:00 pm »

I think my wife would like this one: http://www.chorewars.com/

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 01:43:00 am »

i play chosen space 2....kinda neat...but not very exciting.
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne
Pages: [1] 2 3 4