Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: Presentation (cavalier, isometric and 3/4TD projection)  (Read 44472 times)

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
Re: Presentation (Isometrics? Actually, that's "axonometric projection")
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2008, 03:50:57 pm »

Well if you only have one sprite, you'll have sliding/teleporting sprites that make no sense whatsoever.

- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2008, 03:55:18 pm »

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc15/Domining/df2/gg.png
http://alcopop.org/games/7_ethereals.png
I dunno, Starcraft has very few walls, and I believe you can't move behind them anyway. And XCOM has only tall or hovering creatures, which are guaranteed to be partially visible above the edge of the wall.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2008, 03:57:05 pm »

That's right, dude. Keep on posting those screenshots.

Animations sure would be nice but in no way necessary.
<3

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2008, 04:06:42 pm »

Well if you only have one sprite, you'll have sliding/teleporting sprites that make no sense whatsoever.

Well I've seen this 1 sprite method in many games...and I always liked it. However those were 2d games. I am not sure that how would it look like in iso/cavalier style.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2008, 04:09:30 pm »

That's right, dude. Keep on posting those screenshots.

Animations sure would be nice but in no way necessary.

He does make a good point though.  The better the graphics get, the more disruptive the single sprite will be

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2008, 04:13:41 pm »

I dunno, Starcraft has very few walls, and I believe you can't move behind them anyway. And XCOM has only tall or hovering creatures, which are guaranteed to be partially visible above the edge of the wall.
Yea, the gates that were in SC were only placeable in the 1,3,7,9 position. Here:

Mike Mayday, eat a big bagel.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2008, 04:21:47 pm »

Granite: Meh, considering the still minuscule size, it really won't be any different than what we have now. It will be like figures sliding across a chess board.
Want me to make an animated gif? :P
<3

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2008, 04:24:38 pm »

nah, I don't think we're into 'problem' range yet... it's just... something to be aware of

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2008, 04:36:27 pm »

a basic set using what we have, as opposed to what we wish we had.
If it was doable in any way besides what has already been done, it would have been done already.
Bollocks. If Dwarf Fortress was at all doable it would have been done, but it wasn't, Toady was the first. There always has to be a first.
I merely felt to give my two cents, specifically, what can be done given not only what we have but what we're likely to have in the near future and what development on our part might be reciprocated by Toady. Something that could attain a tangible result. You felt that zooming might be useful, well a nice graphics to go along with that would give toady something to think about.
Being a Mac/Linux guy I hardly expect to get any use from the results anyway, but if we're going to talk fantasy why not go for the full 3D? Dungeon Keeper had 3D complexes. What about the Quake engine? 3D glasses and multitouch screens?
There is no need to be snarky and no need to tell me you weren't being such to myself or other posters. I'm going back to threads where people recognise a game is meant to be fun and discussion is for the purpose of discussing.
You can have your bridge. Good luck.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2008, 04:42:54 pm »

I like the top-down view, but I also like a bit of perspective, so I tried something really quick.

Maybe something like this so there's no obstruction, and you can see all the walls for engravings, etc:

A hallway connecting two rooms:

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #100 on: November 25, 2008, 04:45:21 pm »

Whoooooa.. now THAT looks confusing :D
<3

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2008, 04:49:57 pm »

Escher dwarves

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2008, 04:50:41 pm »

Scribbler, first you say:
a basic set using what we have, as opposed to what we wish we had.
and then you're telling me that by that you meant
Quote from: scribbler
what can be done given not only what we have but what we're likely to have in the near future
Are you still surprised that I didn't understand you?
And, what's funny enough, I STILL don't understand what you're talking about! What would you like to see? A basic (but completed) tileset for a feature that has not been implemented? A coherent and complete mockup of one of the methods?
<3

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 25, 2008, 04:53:45 pm »

This one has without question the best visibility of the wall sides. A top-down view also has the advantage of architectural and strategical clarity.
On the down side, displaying multiple levels at once is kinda limited this way without sacrificing the simplicity of the graphics.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 25, 2008, 04:57:27 pm »

Look at how you drew the corners for one room by itself -- you did proper convergence, i.e. there's a vanishing point.  However, you have a different vanishing point for each room, which makes it look like they're angled toward each other.  Not gonna work out.

Speaking of vanishing points, I saw curiously little discussion of this:

I particulerly support better handling of slices lower in elevation. Wasn't one idea just to scale progressivly every z-level beneath the current one and use a parallax? That could work wonders with things like towers and pits, depending on if we scale up or down the size of lower levels.

It really seems like the most promising approach to me.  The main issue is what to do about the vertical surfaces connecting z-levels, which of course don't actually exist in the game.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 05:00:39 pm by Footkerchief »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14