Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Travel on the local map.  (Read 1143 times)

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Travel on the local map.
« on: November 19, 2008, 04:30:42 pm »

Subject says it all.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: Travel on the local map.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 07:28:46 pm »

Today is brought to you by the letter.

T

Of course unless you are talking about something completly differnt, than I have no idea or any advice as I can not think of anything, to help you with.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 08:24:43 pm »

T

Of course unless you are talking about something completly differnt, than I have no idea or any advice as I can not think of anything, to help you with.

The _local_ map. The one where every square on the regional map (which is the map you Travel on now) is 16x16 squares.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 08:38:14 pm »

T

The _local_ map. The one where every square on the regional map (which is the map you Travel on now) is 16x16 squares.
Not only is the topic not so self-expressive as was advertised, the necessity is also not quite self-evident.  What problem does '[T]ravel + normal walking' have that this solves?
ow did this get here

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 09:34:42 pm »

T

Not only is the topic not so self-expressive as was advertised, the necessity is also not quite self-evident.  What problem does '[T]ravel + normal walking' have that this solves?

I can land anywhere in a 768x768-tile area and have no clue where the river/road/crossing I was looking for is. (Specifically, I gave up on trying to find the confluence of a brook and a river, which I wanted to test some things with, since brooks don't even show up.)

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 11:56:22 am »

Aaaah, you're talking about the smallest resolution map as on the embark screen?

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 06:16:00 pm »

O.K. Let me get this straight. You say travel on local map, which by now I know you mean travel by local map in adventure mode. Now obviously you have mistaken all of B12 forum for having the same thought patterns of you, because we obviously do.

Adding a "In adventure mode". Would have greatly helped, as most of us lurkers do know what the local map is.

As for the suggestion I heartly support it, just add nouns every once is a while when making topics where the only information we have is in the topic name its' self. Than besides expecting etc yadayada you know what I mean.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 07:45:43 pm »

To be honest I think it would be easier to code in directions to more landmarks like brooks etc.  The only problem is deciding where they are in relation to the adventurer, being non-centralized.  Should be easy enough to point to the nearest portion of the brook, though.
ow did this get here