Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Organic Technology!  (Read 6539 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Organic Technology!
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 08:21:52 am »

Don't forget that many Civilisation games had animal husbandry, animal keeping, and farming upgrades... to add to this organic technology.

JustOnePixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 12:56:40 pm »

There's also Evolva.  It's a shooter game of sorts, where you had to collect DNA from things you kill and then use it to mutate your little people.  Think of it as Spore Commando.  I thought it was pretty fun.  It's on Good Ol' Games now.
Tessie! 'nuf said' McGreevy shouted,
we're not here to mess around!
Boston, you know we love you madly,
hear the crowd roar to your sound!
Don't blame us if we ever doubt ya, you know we couldn't live without ya!
RED SOX!  You are the only, only, only!

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 01:15:54 pm »

And then there's Dominant Species, - which I never quite finished because of fickle and finicky controls and overpowered human invaders.

Ooh and Earth: 2160 - Which doesn't happen on earth at all on account of its two main halves slowly drifting into the sun. - Which has a alien faction with a very nitpicky construction system but otherwise kinda dull. (Absurdly overpowered space fleets.)
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 01:18:37 pm »

Pretty much every weapon in Prey is some slimy tentacled thing.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2008, 02:52:13 pm »

I remember an old RTS that had organic tech, stealing DNA from the other factions to genetically alter your units, besides researching your own tech tree for improvements.

I don't remember the name. I recall the factions being "tribes", and energy was harvested by planting some sort of cabbages in special soil, which then spread until they met the other tribe's cabbages.  Power towers would then get energy from all cabbage in range.

I think I know what you're talking about, but I can't for the life of me remember the name.  I only ever played the demo.  I seem to recall being able to give a particular critter hammer-ish arms, among other things.

The phrase "gene forge" comes to mind, but I know damn well that's not it.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 05:35:31 pm »

It's called "Warbreeds", apparently.  My Google skills are growing stronger each day.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 07:13:01 pm »

Just reminded me of a completely ignored RTS 'Dark Reign 2'.  Two factions, one of which revolves around beastmasters that tame wild animals roaming around the map.

I have this game of which you speak, and as I recall it, there wasn't a single kind of organic creature in the game, with the exception of humans (of varying degrees of humanity.)

The two sides were the Sprawlers (loosely organized freedom fighters, really) and the Jovian Detention Authority, a sort of over-powerful police force. It's set in the 26th century, so it doesn't have much to do with any sort of beastmasters. Total Annihilation: Kingdoms, on the other hand, had one of four factions that was entirely based on beasts and their handlers.

EDIT: The confusion may arise from the fact that the two games were included in a two-fer-one pack sortofa thing, in which I myself purchased them. I'm not sure just how widespread this two-fer offer was, though, could've been local. At least, I think that's how I got them...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 07:15:07 pm by Reasonableman »
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 07:33:40 pm »

EDIT: The confusion may arise from the fact that the two games were included in a two-fer-one pack sortofa thing, in which I myself purchased them. I'm not sure just how widespread this two-fer offer was, though, could've been local. At least, I think that's how I got them...

Yeah.  I never played Dark Reign 2, but I have the first one around here somewhere, and it's nothing like what you described.  Does the word 'Togran' sound familiar?  'Cause it was all about some time traveling dead prophet making you play RTS simulators to save the past or some shit.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 08:23:37 pm »

Dark Reign 2 was a prequel to Dark Reign. The Tograns were basically the third faction in DR1, and were destroyed by one side or the other when they suggested that everyone stop fighting. They sent a time-traveling probe to find a general that could win their final battle, and that general had to pass some virtual reality test. DR2 tells the story of the war that you're trying to stop, how it was started and all that jazz.

EDIT: Both were fairly decent games, but neither has anything to do with the topic this thread is supposed to be about, I think.

Rabek Jeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 08:28:36 pm »

The night elves in WCIII is a good example, I suppose, and the undead play _like_ the zerg (I like factions that change the terrain as you build)... I have C&CIII, but the scrin aren't quite what I hoped for.

Warbreed and War Winds both sound very good, pretty much just what I wanted, but I can't find them anywhere. A shame, really.

I'm going to try Alpha Centauri, though. One of those classics that I've been meaning to try.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 09:56:05 pm »

Yeah.  I never played Dark Reign 2, but I have the first one around here somewhere, and it's nothing like what you described.  Does the word 'Togran' sound familiar?  'Cause it was all about some time traveling dead prophet making you play RTS simulators to save the past or some shit.

The expansion to DR1 is sort of like that. The two main sides from the original game crash on an alien planet. What are considered the good guys learn to train native animals.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 10:06:03 pm »

OoooOOOoooOOH! I never knew there was an expansion! I'll have to look into that.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 10:09:57 pm »

Apparently, the Warbreed demo will install, but won't work under WinXP, like so many other games I want to play.

The expansion to DR1 is sort of like that. The two main sides from the original game crash on an alien planet. What are considered the good guys learn to train native animals.

I knew I wasn't crazy!  Yeah, I remembered seeing another Dark Reign game, but I didn't know there was a sequel and an expansion.  It was a pretty middling game anyway, so I guess it's no loss.

I'm going to try Alpha Centauri, though. One of those classics that I've been meaning to try.

Be warned, if you like Civilization/4X type games at all, it will consume you utterly for a week or so.  It really is one of the finest examples of the craft ever made, and you'll learn all kinds of outdated crazy crap about '90s transhumanism.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 10:12:45 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 10:59:27 pm »

It's called "Warbreeds", apparently.  My Google skills are growing stronger each day.

A winner is you!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 10:16:49 am »

Warbreeds!  Goddamn that's been a long time.  I was another who only played the demo, but damn did I play that demo as much as it could be played!

It gets really fun if you can find the cheats for it.  That will allow you to spawn units you can't normally access, or give you technology that's not supposed to be in the demo.  It lets you play a lot more of the game than intended, which is always fun.

But yeah, that's an awesome game.  Just watch out for those bug-guys.  They can really mess up your day if you don't put a clamp on them early on.
Pages: 1 [2] 3