Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Islands  (Read 2110 times)

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Islands
« on: November 18, 2008, 12:30:42 am »

Islands are great. There's something about a map with a crap load of islands on it that makes me think, "this is place is fucking awesome!" Generating worlds with a lot of islands is hard, there should be an islandism parameter or something, because worlds that have too high a volcanism setting are rejected. Archipelagos would be great, starting a fortress on an archipelago would be the best. Or maybe it wouldn't, but I have this thing with islands. Besides continental islands, some smaller islands nearby continental islands which might not even show up on the region map would make sense. Starting a fortress on a barren ~25x25 size island in the middle of an ocean would be good for lulz.

And what about icebergs? I'm not entirely sure how they'd be useful but the DF community is ingenious enough to figure something out... I suppose they could crash through your constructions, but the pathing issues with moving objects remain, so they would have to be stationary. Specific types of wildlife could flock to them I guess.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Islands
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 01:23:44 am »

I'm not sure, but I think oceans are filled (and therefore, islands are generated) based simply on elevation. So if you mess with elevation (and maybe erosion?) the right ways you could get more islands.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 01:43:04 am »

I tried that but I wasn't very successful :/

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 01:46:59 am »

Did you try screwing with mesh sizes/weights? That could probably make the world a bit more jagged, and might help. Lessening erosion also might help but I'm not sure.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 02:13:48 am »

Toady posted this picture prior to the custom world gen release: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/imgs/smoother4.png

So there's got to be SOME way.  Weighting the elevation mesh toward very high and very low sounds like a good approach.

Ascii Kid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is just a test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 02:53:08 am »

What about tweaking the elevation x/y varience and ramping up the edge ocean numbers?
"...you'll have you live with your GRANDmother and pick beans!"
-Homer

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 03:09:34 am »

What about tweaking the elevation x/y varience and ramping up the edge ocean numbers?

That seemed to do the trick, but world gen was taking forever and it was eating up CPU like nobody's business. I think I'll let DF have another go when I go to bed ;)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 03:29:18 am »

The only problem is, unless you have an enemy race on the same island, you are not going to encounter other civs.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Ascii Kid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is just a test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 03:39:38 am »

Alright, here's a question: If you create a fortress on a island and the invasion comes and you abandon, do those invaders then set up shop on the island? 
"...you'll have you live with your GRANDmother and pick beans!"
-Homer

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 04:04:39 am »

Do we talk about LARGE islands here or small islands that can fit in a starting 9x9 square? Cause I really like the idea of an island (only got such once!) that can fit in a normal sized embark area (8x8 was that) and it was pretty much cool gameplay (until those elephants got too close xD).
Music was my first love, and it will be my last.
Music of the future, and music of the past.

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 06:51:27 pm »

Yeah, that's what I meant by non-continental islands.

peekama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 04:35:20 pm »

As it is, icebergs can't exist. Ice (or anything else for that matter) doesn't float. The iceberg would have to be a natural floor, but if it was floating around, it would be unsupported and cave-in.
It'd be cool if unicorn refuse gives off rainbow miasma.
It should totally bleed the laughter of children, too.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 07:15:39 pm »

As it is, icebergs can't exist. Ice (or anything else for that matter) doesn't float. The iceberg would have to be a natural floor, but if it was floating around, it would be unsupported and cave-in.
Bug- Floating ice.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 07:19:03 pm »

Man, if islands were fully integrated with the rest of the game and naval sieges were a possibility, I'd be in nautical heaven...

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 07:53:45 pm »

Red Alert III idea: Buildings with floation devices so that they do not collapse and sink into the water.  :)

Then link every major part with drawbridges for more dwarfy fun.
Pages: [1] 2