Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Islands  (Read 2112 times)

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Islands
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 08:56:56 pm »

I believe that buoyancy would form a major part of whether stuff sinks...e.g. if the building were supported by pontoons then it would be capable of floating nominally, or if it were a giant ship. Additionally, if a ship fills up with water, it would start to sink, or it could pump out water to float back up.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 09:48:25 pm »

Red Alert III idea: Buildings with floation devices so that they do not collapse and sink into the water.  :)

Then link every major part with drawbridges for more dwarfy fun.

I'd be happy with pylons that didn't require draining the ocean...

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 11:10:42 pm »

Another mechanics could be the use of a construction pulley.  What you need is a rope, a wooden shaft and three mechanisms.  Using this extended pulley, you can pick up prefabricated stone walls and gently drop them at a designated location that would be otherwise inaccessible by builders.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 06:06:04 pm »

sounds like hell to integrate though...

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 04:29:12 am »

On the subject of islands, I'd like to see some mythic islands with weird attributes, like in Gulliver's Travels, for instance. And maybe islands could sink into the ocean (Atlantis), or rise out of it, via volcanic action?

It also would be neat if there were eventually floating islands (icebergs included) that happened to contain Megabeasts, so that if they landed where you are, you'd get a bunch of new land, after you dealt with the Bronze Colossus. Or an iceberg could land and melt, releasing a zombified mammoth, or a bunch of neanderthals.

This being fantasy, maybe some islands could even actually float on permanent clouds, in the air. Giants etc might occasionally climb down from them and raid your fortress.
For they would be your masters.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 07:43:48 am »

It would help also if we could start fortresses that straddle map sections. You could build a bridge between an island near the coast and a nearby contintent that way.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 05:36:04 pm »

Or the ability to create ships would be equally good as well. I want to build a magma-dumping boat that is used for creating obsidian tunnels, so I can build undersea forts in the middle of the ocean. :D

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 05:58:50 pm »

Eventually, I'm hoping we'll get things...I guess you'd call them "economic structures", like roads, bridges, taverns, ports/harbours, natural and artificial "mountain passes" what have you, along with the trade depot, that would allow your fortress to trade more easily, and more profitably (or at all), with other civs.

Sea bridges could fall under that category, and could be very profitable indeed (imagine a hypothetical bridge between Sri Lanka, with it's gems and spices, and England), although I think they should be considerably more difficult to build than most freshwater bridges, because of tidal action, corrosion, sea life, depth, what have you.
For they would be your masters.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 08:15:33 pm »

Red Alert III idea: Buildings with floation devices so that they do not collapse and sink into the water.  :)
E'er play M.A.X.? I am reminded of the island fortresses I made then...

edit: High-volcanism maps are rejected? You can increase the cap. Also, increase the # of volcanoes- it'll often gi'e you a bunch of volcanic islands, if not single-tile ones.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 08:17:19 pm by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 [2]