Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Worst Aquifer Disasters!  (Read 3753 times)

krumlink

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Apathy
    • View Profile
Worst Aquifer Disasters!
« on: November 17, 2008, 07:19:11 pm »

The Aquifer, for some people a life saver, for others a fortress destroyer. I personally have experienced the Fortress destroying part, but my worst disaster EVER was when I was digging down through a magma pipe side and accidentally strike the aquifer. It quickly coats the top of the pipe with obsidian and proceeds to fill the entire thing with Water. I finally manage to find a spot where I can get enough rock, and produce many pumps and spend quite a while getting the mechanical parts set up. I seal up the aquifer holes with Tweak and proceed to pump it out. 2 SEASONS LATER, the layer is at a nice 2 water level deep. Almost done :)

krumlink

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Apathy
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Aquifer Disasters!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 07:21:29 pm »

Oh and the reason I did not abandon, was because it had 2 monstrous nodes of magnetite and several pockets of bauxite :D

Not to mention Coal, lignite, iron, copper, gold, platinum, and many others :D

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 07:25:50 pm »

Oh and the reason I did not abandon, was because it had 2 monstrous nodes of magnetite and several pockets of bauxite :D

Not to mention Coal, lignite, iron, copper, gold, platinum, and many others :D
Someone was looking for a location like that.  I should post the seed on this thread, were I you.  Does it have HFS?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

krumlink

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 07:31:21 pm »

Using reveal, no. But the ridiculous resources will keep you happy.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 08:21:33 pm »

I made the Water Pylon construction, but I forgot to make the dwarf-made island, oh well, though it was fun!

I just wish I didn't abandon, reclaiming is too ass-racking.

krumlink

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 08:26:04 pm »

End of Autumn. Large patches of dried up water, still some 1's floating around.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 08:28:06 pm »

End of Autumn. Large patches of dried up water, still some 1's floating around.
Seed this place (and parameters)?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

krumlink

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 08:36:03 pm »

How do I get previous seeds? I can upload the entire save folder to DFFD.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 08:41:59 pm »

How do I get previous seeds? I can upload the entire save folder to DFFD.
You can back up your save manually, abandon, the check the legends screen.  There are options to export the parameters and view the seed.  When you are done, delete the world folder that's in the original location, then paste the old save back into the region folder from wherever you put.
Just so I remember

krumlink

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 09:17:19 pm »

Here you go (LARGE MAP BTW)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 09:43:33 pm »

Thanks.  I have mods, so that should turn out a little different, but it should be essentially the same.  And I'm sure there are other people looking for a location like that.
Just so I remember

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 03:38:39 am »

A while back someone made a thread about how they managed to trap themselves under an aquiifer.  I forget how, though.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 03:51:33 am »

5 of my 7 dwarves got eaten by skeletal blue fin tuna, including my miner.  I'd just finished constructing the entrance, so as my stonecrafter ran inside, his lover, the cook, pulled the switch in the dining room.  The entrance flooded and iced over, taking out a couple tuna as it did so (just in the nick of time).  The disaster was my pick was on the surface, getting stolen by kobold ninjas, my seeds and temperarry farms were between the trade depot and plant stockpile outside the gate.

Okay, booze stockpile down here, so make some wine biscuits and wait for the migrants, have a wedding reception to pass the time.

Unicorns drive back the caravan, smashing a wagon not containing picks.

I couldn't bare to watch the lovers die. I can only presume on their dying thoughts... "Man, is this dining room great or is it great?"
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 03:53:13 am by Time Kitten »

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 08:15:04 am »

Hooked my screwpump battery up to power before I attached the kill switch. Those screwpumps ended up flooding a valley :(
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 12:40:25 am »

When looking for a convenient aquifer water supply for my obsidian farm. 'nuff said.

I almost flooded my fort and sent spidery dwarftunnels over much of the area surrounding the magma vent. Eventually I found some aquifer not 10 tiles away.  >:(
Pages: [1] 2