Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unicode expansion  (Read 1819 times)

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
Unicode expansion
« on: November 17, 2008, 04:06:04 am »

I have a slight feeling that as the game gets developed (and more complicated) we might need more expansion in our symbols. Why not announce a war to unicode.org and ravage the page in search of several million symbols we can use virtually for anything? And there would be no problems with unicode support on operating system since the game uses bitmaps anyway.

Extend that so I can finally discern a goblin archer from the goblin shaman or that pesky gameboy (lol) lying around. xD
Music was my first love, and it will be my last.
Music of the future, and music of the past.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unicode expansion
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 08:51:23 am »

I have a slight feeling that as the game gets developed (and more complicated) we might need more expansion in our symbols. Why not announce a war to unicode.org and ravage the page in search of several million symbols we can use virtually for anything? And there would be no problems with unicode support on operating system since the game uses bitmaps anyway.

Extend that so I can finally discern a goblin archer from the goblin shaman or that pesky gameboy (lol) lying around. xD

So, what, you want to use ĝ vs ġ instead of, you know, actual graphics? If you're not going to stick to ascii, there's no real reason to limit yourself to "text character like stuff" at all.

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 09:12:02 am »

So, what, you want to use ĝ vs ġ instead of, you know, actual graphics? If you're not going to stick to ascii, there's no real reason to limit yourself to "text character like stuff" at all.

I stick to ASCII even though we have some graphics available. I don't know if there are full graphic plans but even then I suppose we will need more characters than what we currently have.
Music was my first love, and it will be my last.
Music of the future, and music of the past.

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 07:56:40 am »

who cares about using actual graphics...i love the ascii look...it feels more......i dont know...... classic?
There are two types of Christians:
Those that believe in God,

And those that suffer from retardation.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 08:35:42 am »

I stick to ASCII even though we have some graphics available. I don't know if there are full graphic plans but even then I suppose we will need more characters than what we currently have.

I don't get it... If text and gfx will be completly separated, why should we need to have more characters?

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 09:09:02 am »

I don't get it... If text and gfx will be completly separated, why should we need to have more characters?

Unicode support would be nice, actually - not for using random unicode characters for tiles, but for _text_ - say, if someone wants to convert the interface to Japanese.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 10:53:47 am »

I fear there may be some confusion here. The game is already in gfx using OGL, it is only that the tiles contain glyphs. What you should be asking is rather for more information per tile which would allow you to distinguish more and use more tiles.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 01:18:18 pm »

I'd like unicode so that Japanese kanji/kana or Hebrew script could be used. Now you can have a golem's description read "There is the word אמט inscribed on its forehead"

But other than that, I don't see the need. Just allow full tile support for all graphics, including objects, and unicode will automatically be supported.  So if you want that golem represented by the traditional ש you can, but otherwise you can just have a picture of the thing.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 04:09:23 pm »

I'd like unicode so that Japanese kanji/kana or Hebrew script could be used. Now you can have a golem's description read "There is the word אמט inscribed on its forehead"

But other than that, I don't see the need.

Or for total interface conversion into greek, russian, japanese, hebrew, etc.

As it is, the only languages for which it could be done are the ones that CP437 supports, which is even less than CP1252 (windows ansi).

[nevermind that a significant amount of interface text is still hardcoded - I assume that will change at some point]

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 04:16:10 pm »

Unicode support would be nice, actually - not for using random unicode characters for tiles, but for _text_ - say, if someone wants to convert the interface to Japanese.

Ah okay... :)