Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pick Quality  (Read 720 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pick Quality
« on: November 16, 2008, 05:12:11 pm »

Does anyone know if the quality/material of the pick matters in how fast the dwarfs mine?  I have quite the undertaking happening in stripping off the layers of a mountain and would like to speed it up a bit if possible.  The 4 miners I started with are already legendary and are just completing the first layer.  I would like to speed it up without hiring every single immigrant as a miner.  I intend on strip mining the whole map and building from there.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Pick Quality
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 05:15:17 pm »

Nope.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 05:20:10 pm »

Great... looks like I have a long road ahead of me :p
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 05:23:11 pm »

If you intended on strip-mining the whole map you'll have a looooooong road ahead of you regardless of how you proceed, and the mining will probably not be NEARLY as time-consuming as the hauling of all the stone.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 05:24:47 pm »

I intend on leaving he stone lay and only collecting the gems, metals, and other resource material.  I'm just "ramping" out a layer at a time.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 05:30:25 pm »

It seemed to me that a large amount of stones lagged me down, But that might just have been me.
If you do not mind cheating you can edit creature_standard.txt in the raws, Add [SPEED:1] under dwarves and you've got yourself physics breaking underlings.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 05:36:10 pm »

I thought editing the RAWs required a worldgen?  I've never messed, nor never intended to mess with them... I'll probably just hire up all the immigrants I can spare.  I forgot about the stone lag.  Will need some kind of collection army and will likely hide all the common stones.

E-mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 06:15:24 pm »

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Exploratory_mining

It's possible to check every underground location for valuables without mining out the entire map.

Of course, you make a tradeoff between more time spent designating the operation to take less time mining the stuff out, so it's up to you.

And while laggy and hauling-intensive, lots of extra stone isn't necessarily a bad thing - just really difficult to make use of.

But I guess you can make everyone into legendary masons by making them all into blocks! Not that you really need more than a handful of legendary masons most of the time...

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 06:19:41 pm »

It's not really about finding certain materials (though that's one of the benefits) as much as it is a challenge for myself to build what I want from a stripped out map.

E-mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 06:24:15 pm »

Ah, if that's the case, then you've got a long road ahead of you.

Only real way to speed it up will be drafting craptons of new miners. Once you hit pop cap you might want to seal off the fort, designate a part of your population for maintaining the fort - keeping people alive and happy - make 50 picks, and put everyone else on mining duty. Once you have legendary+5 miners, there's no way to speed it up but to get more miners.