Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299328 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #195 on: September 15, 2009, 03:07:53 pm »

This gives me a thought... couldn't you absolutely break the barter system by engraving arrows untill you get good enough to engrave wooden bowls for extra profit?

There is only one problem I have with wooden bowls though, no smaller denominations...

I never managed to get into UW properly, something about those numerous photos of bearded nord people wearing furs, swing axes and shooting bows aways... Bothered me.
You get used to them.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #196 on: September 15, 2009, 03:15:20 pm »

I live right on the border of Scandinavia now, so I've built up something of an immunity.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 15, 2009, 10:36:47 pm »

I just realized that Companions will accept spoiled food to follow you. I'm going to test it next time by hoarding all my spoiled food and giving it to them exclusively to see if they accept it.

EDIT: I also just noticed for the first time, that when the game asks for "branches", it will also take spruce twigs. So, when making a "trap pit" it asks for 10 branches + 10 spruce twigs, it will also just take 20 spruce twigs. Same thing when making torches.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 11:22:20 pm by Sergius »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 16, 2009, 12:12:50 am »

I just realized that Companions will accept spoiled food to follow you. I'm going to test it next time by hoarding all my spoiled food and giving it to them exclusively to see if they accept it.

EDIT: I also just noticed for the first time, that when the game asks for "branches", it will also take spruce twigs. So, when making a "trap pit" it asks for 10 branches + 10 spruce twigs, it will also just take 20 spruce twigs. Same thing when making torches.

You can also give them food, then take it back. A fun little glitch.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 16, 2009, 12:38:47 am »

You can also give them food, then take it back. A fun little glitch.

That sounds useful too, sometimes, but I find most of the time I have either too much food, and it rots before I can use it, or I have no food at all... and I don't know if Companions once they leave, if I'll find them again, so I have to have food at hand. The "spoiled" trick is more useful to me.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #200 on: September 16, 2009, 03:28:57 am »

Those ARE useful tricks.  I was not aware of them.  They shall come in very handy.

Edit: I just had my first instant badger death!  It was literally, "The badger bites you in the leg. You die..."
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 03:44:37 am by Sappho »

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 16, 2009, 06:20:52 am »

You can also "push" squirrels out of trees by walking into them.
For those building cave homes like me, you can build doors into the walls and deconstruct them.
Wooden Bowl trading is broken, pure and simple.
Everything that can take branches will take spruce twigs, except arrows.
Villages don't seem to mind if you steal all their crops...

For other uses for spoiled food:
1. Light a fire with them.
2. Throw them; in the previous version, thrown food had insane to-hit bonuses, I'm not sure now.
3. Use them as sacrifices.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 06:23:49 am by Blaze »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 16, 2009, 06:24:23 am »

Now I'm just going to have to pick up the game again, although god knows how much stuff I've forgoten.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #203 on: September 16, 2009, 06:34:54 am »

I've started re-filling the wiki.  I'm having some trouble with the coding language it uses and some of the formatting is a little wacky, but it'll do for now.  Everyone please contribute whatever you have!

Edit: And...  The wiki is totally nuked.  Spambots have decided to keep bombarding the front page.  I vote for a new wiki.  Does anyone have the resources to host our own?  If not, I suggest we use Wikia.

Also, with all this new info about certain items being interchangeable...  Is it possible to use cord for things that require leather?  That's the one thing that slows me down a lot.  There are so few animals you can get leather from, and certain key things, like the raft, require leather rope instead of just "tying equipment" like everything else.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 09:20:51 am by Sappho »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 16, 2009, 11:01:34 am »

You can get tying equipment from leather, but if the recepie asks for rope you need leather. Of course rope is broken in the game, it is easier to buy animals than it is to get leather.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 16, 2009, 11:05:09 am »

Any item that requires tying equipment can use cord, rope, and leather rope; that INCLUDES the raft, so even though the raft says to use rope, you can still use cords. (Reported bug, it'll be fixed eventually.)

If you have problems getting leather, I suggest you find a town and trade for a cow/pig/dog and slaughter it (though I wouldn't recommend trying to kill a dog early on.).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 11:06:57 am by Blaze »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 16, 2009, 04:47:04 pm »

You don't even have to buy the animal. Just go in and kill it, then start smoking the meat right there in town in a handy dandy sauna room. Take those days off to practice woodcarving or to fletch a lot of arrows or prepare javelins for your next hunt.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 16, 2009, 08:44:49 pm »

But if you buy it, you get a free rope! Totally worth it, I mean I pay like 8-10 bowls for a big cow.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #208 on: September 16, 2009, 11:42:04 pm »

Yeah that free rope is great.  Especially when the only reason I'm buying the animal is to make rope with it.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 17, 2009, 03:13:28 am »

Bah, it turns out that bean stew is a waste. It's less nutritious than eating the actual raw beans. 10 beans will give you a single serving that fills about 90-something of your food bar, while a single handful of broad beans fills about 30% and keeps forever...
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 101