Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299282 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #165 on: September 12, 2009, 06:44:50 am »

Is there any way to get rid of spoiled food?  I have a huge pile by the shore of old rotting meat and fish...

1. Shift+D
2. Move it into the water.
3. Throw it into the water.

Also, my superhome:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Funny thing is, after building the damn thing, I never really felt like moving into it. My cave home gives me everything I need anyway.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 06:47:44 am by Blaze »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 12, 2009, 06:57:44 am »

It is not complete unless you furnish it, with a fireplace, furs a bed and maybe even a table.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 12, 2009, 08:51:25 am »

It is not complete unless you furnish it, with a fireplace, furs a bed and maybe even a table.

Eh, it'd be a pain to move all my stuff over there.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 08:55:05 am by Blaze »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 12, 2009, 09:14:07 am »

Now I have to ask... How many winters is your guy?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 12, 2009, 09:58:47 am »

3 years 5 months give or take.
8 months on this particular map.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 10:02:05 am by Blaze »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 12, 2009, 08:18:46 pm »

I dont get how you guys play that long, I got bored before the first winter and didn't feel like staying inside my house wolfing down food for the next few months without a way to speed up the game.

The only thing to look foward to is building a bigger house which has absolutly no benifit at all.

Vodalian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 12, 2009, 08:32:30 pm »

I'm personally looking forward to z levels:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/UrW_forum/index.php?showtopic=1360

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #172 on: September 13, 2009, 03:18:56 am »

Those aren't real z-levels, though.  It's still 2d, just going from some squares to others takes longer than it did before because you are "climbing".  You can't dig fortresses or build 2-story houses.  If he implements real z-levels, I might buy a new version, but not until then.  Actually, those cliffs look like more of a pain in the ass than a cool feature.

It's times like this when I dream of DF adventure mode in the years to come...  It will make URW look like a boring little toy when we can carve out our own fortresses, fill them with traps, collect the heads of our enemies to keep in a trophy room, brew our own booze and make kitten roasts, and lure an army of goblins to our gates only to unleash a flood of magma upon them.  And when one adventurer dies, a new one can come take over his base!  That's something I wish Sami would do, too - allow new adventurers to live on the same maps as the old ones, squatting in their houses and making use of their stuff so we don't have to start the entire laborious process over again from scratch every single time.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 13, 2009, 11:33:43 am »

Whenever I feel the monotony of survival getting too easy, I pack-up and generate a new map.
Even with all the experience and skill of an advanced character, surviving winter on the road is a massive challenge. Unless you use villages, but that's up to you.

It's times like this when I dream of DF adventure mode in the years to come...  It will make URW look like a boring little toy when we can carve out our own fortresses, fill them with traps, collect the heads of our enemies to keep in a trophy room, brew our own booze and make kitten roasts, and lure an army of goblins to our gates only to unleash a flood of magma upon them.  And when one adventurer dies, a new one can come take over his base!  That's something I wish Sami would do, too - allow new adventurers to live on the same maps as the old ones, squatting in their houses and making use of their stuff so we don't have to start the entire laborious process over again from scratch every single time.

I'd like it if we could take control of ONE character in a fortress, then slowly climb the ranks to leadership. Forming friendships, plotting the downfall of rivals, and NOT ignoring that one dehydrated, wounded dwarf. Plus, we'd be able to really flesh out the effects of dwarven economy. Then again, having even one dwarf actually listen to your commands would imbalance the game significantly.

That being said, DF's adventure mode and URW's gameplay differ greatly, the chief one being that it's MUCH easier to survive in adventure mode i.e. minmaxed combat skills, greatly lowered hunger and thirst, can travel large amounts of land without food/water, starts with weapons and armor, etc. I do hope the survival aspect of adventure mode gets fleshed out more.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 11:39:14 am by Blaze »

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 13, 2009, 05:44:39 pm »

Hmm.  This seems like a cool game and I'd love to buy a copy but it's so buggy.  I thought, wow, 10 days isn't long.  Turns out I can't live longer than 4 days before I hit shift A or some other combo and the game crashes.  Boo.

The simple graphics gives me a CotW-nostalgia feeling.  Also I love the goofy larp pics even if they aren't consistent and half look like they were taken with an old cell phone.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #175 on: September 14, 2009, 02:35:52 am »

Well I've hit my first winter and gotten my first minor frostbite wound.  Even with all-green warmth ratings, I guess I'll be staying inside for a few months.  And there's so many projects I want to work on!  When does it start getting warm enough to go out again?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 14, 2009, 02:38:52 am »

April-ish? I can't remember, but I remember the old URW wiki saying something to that effect. I miss that wiki...

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #177 on: September 14, 2009, 02:40:21 am »

Yeah, what happened to that wiki?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 14, 2009, 02:43:53 am »

The guy that payed for it went missing (as far as the internet is concerned), and none of his stuff was backed up. That is why there is a new one now. And why it is so bare.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #179 on: September 14, 2009, 02:45:17 am »

Ah, URW. I wasted a LOT of time on this game.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have nearly as much replay value as DF.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 101