Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299255 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #120 on: July 07, 2009, 03:07:35 pm »

Okay, before I screw this up (like I did with my punt), how do I plant seeds, and does the season matter for all seeds? If so, what seeds are good for which season?

(and for those of you interested in the punt story:
Bought a punt, went to water, placed punt on ground, moved punt to water, punt sank, I ctrl-alt-deled that because the game wasn't too clear on that.)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 07, 2009, 03:12:17 pm »

Oh, that's nothing. Once, I ate some poisonous mushrooms and got really sick. I decided to go to a nearby village to seek a medicine man. However, there was a lake between my camp and the village. Furthermore, there were three world-map tiles between my camp and the lake. As I was severely ill, I couldn't walk, let alone carry my raft. So I (m)oved that raft one local map tile at a time until I got to the lake. Then, my fingers automatically (m)oved the raft into the water because I performed those keystrokes a couple of hundreds of times before. Of course, I died of poisoning.

And sorry, I don't know the answer to your question.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 07, 2009, 04:21:08 pm »

Don't worry about it, I tried planting the seeds, but it was too early in the year for any of the tutorial plants. I'll just trade my bowls to a far, northeastern town in return for flour and bread untill the Summer.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 07, 2009, 04:38:10 pm »

you would think that after trading 4000 bowls to one town they would have more bowls to sell back to you...

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 07, 2009, 05:43:19 pm »

Well, something strange just happened.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 25, 2009, 03:09:34 pm »

Looks like things are getting visibly lively again with this game, yay!

"The biggest and the most time-consuming changes in the version in development are about the maps of the game. There's a whole new random world generator and also zoomed-in map generation is going to be pretty much overhauled. Some other interesting new features have been also mentioned in the list below, but the minor changes and squashed bugs will stay unlisted.
...and here we go:

* A new random world generator.
- the world is six times bigger than previously having a bunch of whole new terrain types
- all the cultures can be found on the very same map
- the land of the Njerpez is also there!
(...and this is only a scratch of this HUGE addition put in brief)

* A working character migration from the previous version also bringing your homestead on the new map.

* Zoomed-in map generation overhaul.
- there will be more diversity, more detail and more beautiful graphic presentation

* A working terrain height curves on zoomed-in maps resulting in crags, cliffs and hills of different height etc. giving a new graphical and tactical approach to zoomed-in traveling, hunting and combat.

* NPC combat AI and maneuvers improved including archery for NPCs

* People do pay more attention to your behaviour at their territory; making fires and setting traps all around the village won't be overlooked no more.

* Tracks on zoomed-in maps.
- animals do leave tracks on zoomed-in maps also for you to spot and follow
- this may sound like a simple addition but just wait for the effect to wake up in the morning to find some bear tracks circling around your animal pen"

...from back in Mid-June.  Some very nifty sounding features listed there, along with whatever secret surprises they've got cooked up.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 25, 2009, 05:28:36 pm »

I'd buy that for a dollar!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 25, 2009, 10:39:16 pm »

This game has interested me for a while and those updates sound interesting to say the least. It's a real shame I find the cosplay photos so grating.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 25, 2009, 11:09:33 pm »

I remember reading somewhere that you can change the photos or something. Maybe I just dreamed that.

Except I never dream of the Unreal World cuz that would be lame.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #129 on: July 26, 2009, 10:00:01 am »

Yes, you can change the pictures, they're right in a folder in the game dir.

What version number is this update?  If I bought a single-version license (the cheapest one), am I still covered for this one?  The update sounds great, but I don't play this game very often and it wouldn't be worth buying another license.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 26, 2009, 12:18:10 pm »

I think it's 3.11c, or something like that. And no, you aren't covered for that one.

(Thanks for posting in an old thread instead of starting a new one)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 12:23:31 pm by woose1 »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 26, 2009, 07:07:24 pm »

Yeah, you should wait for the advertised version. Don't buy it now...

Unless you want to buy the "minor version" one IIRC. I think it covers all versions excepting 4 or higher.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 26, 2009, 07:37:51 pm »

Heh, always a good time to get a Lifetime License like I did back when I discovered the game at the same time the last update came out!   :P

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #133 on: July 26, 2009, 08:05:31 pm »

I bought a single version license because I almost never pay for games, because I almost never play them for more than a week or two before getting bored and moving on.  This was true this time as well.  If I could get the new version I might start it up again for another week or two, but it's certainly not worth it to me to get the lifetime one, and really I can't spare the time to play it that much anyway.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2009, 03:02:24 pm »

I bought a single version license because I almost never pay for games, because I almost never play them for more than a week or two before getting bored and moving on.  This was true this time as well.  If I could get the new version I might start it up again for another week or two, but it's certainly not worth it to me to get the lifetime one, and really I can't spare the time to play it that much anyway.

I agree 100% with this. It may *seem* like common sense to just shell 55 bucks and be done with it forever, but IMO:

$3 is like what you'd pay for a burger. It's really a tiny amount of money, and you can get a couple of weeks of gameplay, unlikely that a minor release will be ready in that time, and it's about what I agree is the most time I've been entertained by this game each time I play it.

$10 is still not much, but any "minor updates" are nice but unless there's some game-breaking bug I don't really see it worthwhile. You could say this is the "free maintenance" option. You still wouldn't have gotten the "upcoming" version with all these nifty upgrades.

$55, forever... it's a big bunch of money. IMO it's way too much for a small indy game like this. And if we want to be objective about it, it's the cost of at least 18 times the smaller one. You'd have to have updated the game at least 18 times for this to be worthwhile. If you count backwards, including every single minor version, including even like, 3.09a to 3.09b. But, you'd need to play this game continuously to get all of these. Most people I'd say would probably have skipped a few without even realizing they were out, because they didn't know they were out there. Even without paying, just trying the free version, I probably have only downloaded URW half a dozen times.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 101