Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299201 times)

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2009, 03:24:35 am »

I keep playing this #@$# game for some reason.  Its got a bad and tedious user interface, its kind of buggy, the pace of development is about as fast as a crippled snail, and all there is to it is kill, skin, roast, eat, drink, sleep, eat, drink, kill, skin, roast... but I still find it addictive.  It's got a nice hunting and fishing system, and I like how the world map and local maps integrate, but at it's heart there's not a whole lot to do!  Why do keep playing this game over and over??

If Toady can make adventurer mode in DF as addictive and fun as this game, then it would rival fortress mode in sheer awesomeness, no contest.  Here's hoping that food and drink, hunting, skinning, trapping, fishing, raiding, etc. etc. will not only be fun, but challenging and necessary for survival.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2009, 07:01:55 am »

Just thought I would post my thoughts on this game as I have been playing it for the last few days.

I have really enjoyed my time with this game so far. Probably the highlight when learning the ropes early on was using my one knife to fashion a spear. I threw this spear at an elk, blammo! good hit! unfortunately it didnt kill the elk and it ran off with my only cutting implement. I starved.

My last character was getting on pretty well, had a well stocked cellar and a virtually complete house, with livestock pen and the full gamut of tools for successful survival. Then I stumbled across a Njerpez camp (hmmm ... a camp, whats this?) , and got summarily murdered.

I will certainly continue to have fun with this game for a good few weeks, and have no issue at all with the $3 one-version price tag.

However, I feel like the $55 life-time registration does not sound too hot, because of a couple of things (cue the inevitable DF comparison):

- Potential
- 'Trust'

And both of these are, in a DF sense, pretty closely linked.

I don't see a huge amount of potential in UrW long term (from where it already is). I think Deon touched on this about ten months ago. It will be, as far as I can tell, "a survival simulator based in iron-age Finland" for the entire development cycle of the game.

I think DF goes beyond this. Vanilla DF will always be 'Dwarf Fortress'. The community, in whom Toady one has instilled so much trust by building the parameters of the game in to the RAW files, build on this to create the huge library of content available in the many mods.

Cue figure 1.

On the left, there are a few projections of fun vs. time for DF.

On the right, projections for UrW. UrW may, arguably be more fun currently than DF adventure mode, but not as fun as DF fort mode (in my opinion). In the future I don't see to much progression. Had the game been moddable the community would have no doubt filled the game with the content it lacks.

Clearly to me, the fact that Toady has built his game (Vanilla) from first principles (dwarf is heart + lung + skin etc.) and instilled a huge amount of trust in to the community and the future of the game by making the game 'moddable' means that in the not too distant future DF will be what UrW wants to be, thanks to another survivalist Finn with too much time on his hands.

Also, the Toad has given this to us all. UrW calls for payment. I have no issue in this but personally because of this small thing I will continue to give to Toady as my means allow it, and I will probably keep buying the $3 versions of UrW as and when I feel like upgrading.

In summary, support independent gaming, buy UrW, its really a lot of fun.

But give more to Toady.

(that went on longer than I expected - sod it I'll post anyway)

Obviously DF is insanely more popular than UrW as well because of this. I also like UrW a lot but the thing that irks me is the whole new payment system in general. And yes, DF offers it all for free AND delivers at a much more frequent basis so of course the trust rate will shoot sky high compared to UrW which IMO has barely moved anywhere for years now.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2009, 12:57:00 am »

I was just screwing around with a hex editor and my newly-bought copy of URW and I found where the skill levels are stored. At the beginning of [Charname].URS is a list of skills in plain text. Later on, from 2AA to roughly 2C3, the hex values of the skills are stored in the same order as before, it seems.

Weight is at AB0, height at AB4, body size at AB8. That's all I feel like doing right now.

Sorry for the bump.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 11:44:33 am by Mephisto »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2009, 11:40:17 am »

If only i could find more games like this...

I found this recently and i like it. Sure it wont be as good as df in some years, but this is here now! And i really want to try the whole living out of your pack thing...

The hunting is FANTASTIC! Its really involving and i find myself relishing the chase of a reindeer with my hand made bow. I also love how you can use your clothing as a resource! Why dont other games do this?! And surviving winter becomes a whole new challenge...

All for under 5 $. Nice.

Zambaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2009, 09:44:36 am »

I'm playing version 3.0, I've built my first sauna and I've got myself a couple of cows (I never have to go hungry <3) and fenced the farm off with fences and surrounded the fences with spiked traps so nothing can bother me =3

Anyway, I have a few questions, some people have lately been dropping in my traps and I was wondering, how do I drag them out of there so I can take their things?

And how does skill improvement work? I really need to get my spear skill up and I can't hit anything >_>

And finally, is there something I can do to make townspeople friendly again? Or will they stay pissed forever? I might have stolen a cow or two.....Okay, I stole four cows >_>

chewd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2009, 10:10:35 am »

okay... about dragging people out of the pit, you pretty much have to leave them there. You should still be able to take their things tho, by just standing next to the hole & picking it up.

Skill improvement is a bit of a mystery to me. In various versions of URW it gets broken, fixed, and then broken again. I have read on some forums that shooting arrows at trees works for target practice & can train the skill, & hopefully it would work with spears as well. I've not tried it myself so i dont know.

in battle, i usually go for the legs with a blunt attack at first. Many times you can knock them over and if they stay down, stab em with a pointy attack, if they get back up knock em back down again.

I'm not sure, but ive read that if you stay away from the town for a whole season they'll settle down.

BTW, never go into town with a weapon equipped, thats probably what you did to piss them off.

Zambaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2009, 10:12:28 am »

Hm, do you know the command for picking things up that are next to you?^^

Ah, okay. I'll try to practice on trees then.

Haha, okay, I'll stay away from town untill things cool down.

Many thanks!

Edit:
Oh, another question. I've made a Sauna that I currently live in, it's kind of small, can it be made bigger?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 11:45:42 am by Zambaku »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2009, 10:24:11 am »

in battle, i usually go for the legs with a blunt attack at first. Many times you can knock them over and if they stay down, stab em with a pointy attack, if they get back up knock em back down again.
That's what I do. Break their kneecaps, then stab them in the head repeatedly.

chewd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2009, 11:51:48 pm »

Hm, do you know the command for picking things up that are next to you?^^
the semicolon does that.

Edit:
Oh, another question. I've made a Sauna that I currently live in, it's kind of small, can it be made bigger?
in the current version you have to build houses square-by-square... its in the build menu.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2009, 01:55:08 am »

The one thing I had a problem with is that building a cabin takes almost two hundred logs. It's a pain.
!!&!!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2009, 12:41:07 pm »

I want this game.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2009, 01:08:51 pm »

Right now cabins are a bit more freeform: you choose where to build each wall and floor/ceiling. 5 logs per wall segment. Trees are MUCH denser now, you can probably build half of the cabin just by chopping the trees where it should be and a bit more around it for walking area, and maybe where you're building the fence. If you put it next to a river, you can make a raft, chop the trees near the shores and then haul them all in the raft.

It is a big improvement believe me. Almost the only reason I bought a $3 or whatever single version license.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2009, 03:57:53 pm »

I can't seem to find a way to get a steady supply of food going.

I did manage to kill a Bear with a Long Bow, but not only is there far to much meat to carry, Its spoils in a few days after cooking.

Now if I could find a place infested with edible wild life, learn how to fish with SUCCESS, which I don't, or find some way to farm, the way I end up getting killed tends to be...

Well...

Starving.

Plenty of water, aye, but nope. Not food.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2009, 05:02:17 pm »

I can't seem to find a way to get a steady supply of food going.

I did manage to kill a Bear with a Long Bow, but not only is there far to much meat to carry, Its spoils in a few days after cooking.

Now if I could find a place infested with edible wild life, learn how to fish with SUCCESS, which I don't, or find some way to farm, the way I end up getting killed tends to be...

Well...

Starving.

Plenty of water, aye, but nope. Not food.
You need to steam the meat. Look at the wiki.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2009, 10:05:00 am »

I had more trouble in the latest version at becoming self-sustaining, with food. In the end I had to look for a settlement and trade javelins/clubs/staffs/bowls for bread. As soon as it was possible to get some farming done, I was getting crazy amounts of vegetables (these don't rot). Also consider building a cellar, it keeps your food from rotting so fast.

Once in a while my trap fence kills an elk or two, often I have to quickly pick up all I can and sell it at the settlement and come back for the rest before it spoils. Right now I have like 300 smoked/salted meats in my cellar and they seem to keep forever (in truth it's supposed to last only 30 days but the cellar multiplies it by I-don't-know-how-much... some of the food in there is over 2 months old).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 101