Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299216 times)

chewd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 02:04:58 pm »

Since ive been playing URW off and on for ages now i cant let this tread go by without some comments.

URW is a different kind of RPG, its a survival RPG. DF has some of these elements, but not to the degree URW does.

There are no big monsters to go after, theres no quests, the only reason to go after that bear is because you REALLY want that bearskin for making winter clothes. True, the game does kill you in interesting & sometimes stupid ways. Sami has been addressing that in recent versions, i think he wants to keep it in, but to a more balanced degree.

And besides, in RL if you got attacked by a feral dog in the middle of nowhere with only your wits to save you, a simple bite on the leg -could- very well spell your doom.

In URW there are certain creatures you just dont attack unless you have some definitive advantages (like a heavy crossbow & high skill to go with it)... In the beginning seasons stay away from bears, lynxes, wild dogs (regular dogs can be tamed if you have a rope, they make excellent meat shields) and njprez warriors.

Part of the challenge is knowing your limits & keeping a low profile when appropriate.

Besides if you really want a bear skin, trapping is the way to go anyway.

Theres a few different ways you can approach the game, leading to some pretty good replay value. You can build yourself a settlement & survive by farming, fishing & trapping. Building a nice cottage, cellar, & such, stockpiling it with hides tools & weapons. Once your settlement is well founded you can travel a ways & start a new one, eventually having hideaways scattered about the world. For more of a challenge try a nomadic lifestyle. Living out of your backpack really makes you prioritize your equipment needs. Later in the game, once youre better equipped & skilled, its fun to go njprez hunting, they have villages of their own which you can burn to the ground after killing them all.

Ive even RP'd cannibal characters who only eat human flesh (urw vampires!). Which adds more challenge to the game as well.

Its my opinion that if Toady and Sami got together the resulting game would be a new level of awesome unparalleled in the annals of awesomeness. I very much would like to see DF adventure mode head to a more urw-style gameplay.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 03:45:58 am »

In real life if I was bit by a dog on the foot I wouldn't die instantly.   Especially if I were wearing big crazy snow mukluks.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 05:24:39 am »

Screw your real life.  This is UnReal life.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

chewd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 02:53:07 pm »

In URW you dont die instantly. You pass out & the dog keeps kicking your ass till you die.

Keep in mind this isnt someones toy poodle, URW dogs are big enough to take down elk. We're talking 120lb bull mastiff big. He might well crush every bone in your foot & you pass out from the pain.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 12:56:03 am »

Anyone have cheat for UnReal World ? (Yeah I'm cheap)

I have tried using Artmoney, but it's not working at all....

chewd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 01:05:06 pm »

The easiest cheat in URW is making wooden cups. Wooden cups filled with water are unrealistically desirable for NPC's... They will gladly trade you a full set of Iron armor for a couple dozen.

As far as bumping up your skills goes, i recall being able to successfully hack the character stats with a hex editor at one point. I cant tell you exactly how i did it (i dont remember) but i dont remember it taking too much knowhow.

In previous versions you used to be able to dupe items by giving the game a negative integer when dropping items... i think that bug has been squished tho.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 05:58:23 pm »

In URW you dont die instantly. You pass out & the dog keeps kicking your ass till you die.

No, I'm fairly sure the messages were something like "The dog bites you in the foot.   You die."

And then Toady commented "UNREAL!" and we all had a laugh.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 09:57:16 pm »

You don't mess with the Zohan's dog...

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 07:54:36 pm »

Well, I've been playing this game a bit recently, so I thought that I would resurrect this old thread and talk about it some more...

As for the crazy "dog bites foot, you die" business, it hasn't happened to me by any means.  I don't know if that was a fluke occurrence, or if it was simply an exaggeration.  Maybe I haven't played enough to see this kind of thing.  Whatever.  As far as I can tell, stuff such as wounds, fatigue, hunger, thirst, warmth, sleepyness and so on are implemented in a realistic and balanced manner.

The game is a lot of fun, and for now at least it is still quite a good challenge against one's problem solving and resource using abilities.  I have never played a game where hunting and killing an animal for food feels so rewarding.

I also like the other survival aspects of the game, such as fishing, building shelter, trapping, making clothing, preparing meat and other kinds of food, tanning hides, etc. etc.  It's all rather well thought-out and balanced, for the most part, though I understand that there are probably a lot of exploits or the like I have not figured out yet.

Still, for all of this, the game looks like an unfinished project and is rough around the edges in many ways.  As others have said, it seems to lack content- there are only about 30 animals or so, and this in a game that is largely about hunting and avoiding wildlife!  Also, it simply does not have the coding backbone that Dwarf Fortress does, in terms of materials, heat transfer, physics, the World Map, and so on.  It does not seem to have been designed systematically to make it easy to add new features, and like others have said, it doesn't appear to really be moddable.

The big advantage UrW has over Dwarf Fortress is that it is playable now, whereas DF is not really playable as a survival game, and probably won't be for years to come, since this does not seem to be a big priority with Toady ATM.  Even though UrW is not the epic undertaking in terms of coding and design that DF is, it is currently a perfectly playable and enjoyable game.  It's worthwhile to at least give the demo a try, maybe even toss in $3 for a minor version registration.  I think I'll wait until the game develops a bit more (it seems to have a pretty slow development schedule- it's been around for almost 10 years I think!) before I invest more money in a major upgrade license, but in the mean time it is still worth at least several hours of fun gameplay for just three bucks.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 12:56:59 am »

I started up with the I Want to Be a Fisherman game type, and after setting my nets, I ventured into the woods to hunt a bit. I was immediately attacked by one of those evil tribesmen that kill you on sight. He had a knife, a handaxe, a sword, a trident, a buckler, and armor on him. I had a knife.

SOMEHOW, I managed to knock his sword out of his hands with my knife, then picked it out from under him, and knocked his buckler out of his hand, picked it out from under him, and so on until I had all his equipment. I was badly wounded by the end, but I won after ten minutes.
!!&!!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2009, 06:16:16 pm »

I started up with the I Want to Be a Fisherman game type, and after setting my nets, I ventured into the woods to hunt a bit. I was immediately attacked by one of those evil tribesmen that kill you on sight. He had a knife, a handaxe, a sword, a trident, a buckler, and armor on him. I had a knife.

SOMEHOW, I managed to knock his sword out of his hands with my knife, then picked it out from under him, and knocked his buckler out of his hand, picked it out from under him, and so on until I had all his equipment. I was badly wounded by the end, but I won after ten minutes.
UNREAL!

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2009, 06:24:37 pm »

This comment is mostly so that this shows up in my new replies list.

Unreal world is pretty fun, it's like a completed version of DF adventure mode. A lot of 'survival' games are seriously inbalanced but Unreal world doesn't have anything overpowered other than a few bugs like water filled wooden cup selling. My only complaint would be that I can't find a working full demo version (I know, $3, but UW is the kind of game I would play for a few days and never touch again).
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2009, 06:29:46 pm »

My only complaint would be that I can't find a working full demo version (I know, $3, but UW is the kind of game I would play for a few days and never touch again).

It all depends on how much money you have onhand...  But think what $3 can buy you.  A movie rental!  A bacon cheeseburger!  One-fifteenth of a brand new retail game, quality perhaps unknown!  Or a game that you'll play for a few days, for sure, then will have on your hard drive for whenever you want, and the warm fuzzy feeling of giving a little tiny reward to an indie developer.

$3 is a small price for a permanent good, and you get to make some developer out there go 'squee'.  Heck, if you were buying games in the early 90s, you probably paid that much for a disk of shareware from a store (because there didn't exist a place to download it).
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2009, 09:12:51 pm »

For all who cares, there's a Wiki now http://unrealworldwiki.net/index.php?title=Main_Page
!!&!!

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 07:42:42 am »

Just thought I would post my thoughts on this game as I have been playing it for the last few days.

I have really enjoyed my time with this game so far. Probably the highlight when learning the ropes early on was using my one knife to fashion a spear. I threw this spear at an elk, blammo! good hit! unfortunately it didnt kill the elk and it ran off with my only cutting implement. I starved.

My last character was getting on pretty well, had a well stocked cellar and a virtually complete house, with livestock pen and the full gamut of tools for successful survival. Then I stumbled across a Njerpez camp (hmmm ... a camp, whats this?) , and got summarily murdered.

I will certainly continue to have fun with this game for a good few weeks, and have no issue at all with the $3 one-version price tag.

However, I feel like the $55 life-time registration does not sound too hot, because of a couple of things (cue the inevitable DF comparison):

- Potential
- 'Trust'

And both of these are, in a DF sense, pretty closely linked.

I don't see a huge amount of potential in UrW long term (from where it already is). I think Deon touched on this about ten months ago. It will be, as far as I can tell, "a survival simulator based in iron-age Finland" for the entire development cycle of the game.

I think DF goes beyond this. Vanilla DF will always be 'Dwarf Fortress'. The community, in whom Toady one has instilled so much trust by building the parameters of the game in to the RAW files, build on this to create the huge library of content available in the many mods.

Cue figure 1.

On the left, there are a few projections of fun vs. time for DF.

On the right, projections for UrW. UrW may, arguably be more fun currently than DF adventure mode, but not as fun as DF fort mode (in my opinion). In the future I don't see to much progression. Had the game been moddable the community would have no doubt filled the game with the content it lacks.

Clearly to me, the fact that Toady has built his game (Vanilla) from first principles (dwarf is heart + lung + skin etc.) and instilled a huge amount of trust in to the community and the future of the game by making the game 'moddable' means that in the not too distant future DF will be what UrW wants to be, thanks to another survivalist Finn with too much time on his hands.

Also, the Toad has given this to us all. UrW calls for payment. I have no issue in this but personally because of this small thing I will continue to give to Toady as my means allow it, and I will probably keep buying the $3 versions of UrW as and when I feel like upgrading.

In summary, support independent gaming, buy UrW, its really a lot of fun.

But give more to Toady.

(that went on longer than I expected - sod it I'll post anyway)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 101