Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299235 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #1470 on: January 27, 2013, 03:47:08 am »

I found the spear to be the most useful melee weapon. Pick as you please, but you can throw, slash, pierce and bash with certain spears, which makes them a wonderweapon.

But don't make the brilliant move that I made in my first ever game, which was to throw my metal spear at the first stag I encountered, hit it, and proceed to watch it run off into the sunset.

Throw javelins. They're...cheaper.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: January 27, 2013, 04:23:24 am »

I bought the full version of this game ages ago and just wondering, with the new update coming up, does it feature save game backward compatibility?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: January 27, 2013, 04:39:28 am »

I don't think the saves from the older versions will work on the latest one, no.

@DeKaFu
That's why I use bow for ranged, spear for melee ;) Only time I use a different ranged weapon is when I throw rocks at squirrels or knives at the Njerpez.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: January 28, 2013, 12:24:14 pm »

Rocks are best; they're everywhere, they are heavy, they are worthless, and well... sometimes squirrels can take a knife on and have it stuck in their body, and then have a spot of luck and run away.

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: January 28, 2013, 01:00:43 pm »

The latest version is much more difficult, especially because trading is more real now. You used to be able to trade anything for a decent amount of torches or some other currency (like javelins, depending on the version), now you can't. Almost always, you torches will be worthless, especially in comparison with the high quality items of the shop. That makes getting basic things trickier, like handaxes or bows, turning not starving a very challenging task. Hunting is a lot harder now, too. You cannot track animals in the world map any more, and sneaking is very hard right now.

So, unless you choose I want to be a fisherman scenario or follow the tutorial to get a fishing rod or handaxe, the best bet is trapping.

Trap fences want to look like this:  TFFFTFFFTFFFTFFFTFFFTFFFTFFFT  T=trap, F=Fence.  They want to be loooong, as in 2 map tiles, I usually use spiked pit traps, they will net you big game, well wounded when you find them.  I dont usually bother with trap fences till I have found a good base location with nice flat spot for house, good fishing and pref rapids for easy fishing and drinking during winter.  Alot of stuff seems to path along the edge of rivers/lakes so starting your traps up against a river seems to be a good idea.  Build your fences a few map tiles away from where you sleep, as you can scare off stuff.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: January 28, 2013, 01:15:01 pm »

That's why you stock up on medium value items by trading your low value items. Then when you have a bunch of these, you trade them up to high value items.

Or something like that.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: January 28, 2013, 07:15:12 pm »

Bowls are the best trade junk ive been able to find that you can make, though it would take weeks to make enough to trade for a top quality axe.  Pelts are apparently worth alot more now though, especially stuff like wolves and bears.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

intense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: January 31, 2013, 04:22:27 am »

I always build a shelter at the nearest water source from the village i trade with, may it be a forest lake or river.
I have food from fishing and i can craft in peace. After crafting enough wooden bowls the game becomes easy :D

Frank2368

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: February 03, 2013, 10:45:41 pm »

Unreal World is going donation based soon  :o

http://z3.invisionfree.com/UrW_forum/index.php?showtopic=2986

Maybe OP should change the title so people who wanted to play the game but didn't buy it will come back and give it a try

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: February 04, 2013, 12:13:21 am »

OP last active in Nov 2012. Doesn't seem he visits on daily basis.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1480 on: February 04, 2013, 12:27:05 am »

... New thread? xD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: February 04, 2013, 12:44:31 am »

Personnally, I don't do very long trap fences. A 10 square long line with 3 traps is really enough. At least at first.

If you start with an harsh scenario (slaver, Njerpez, hurt/autumn, winter), you'll want to dig a trap quickly, so the smaller and yet efficient possible. After that, try to make a shelter, and fish to try to survive starvation. If you manage to survive until an elk or something fall into your trap (don't check before a week, and then at max every 3 days), you're good. This is especially hard without an axe, cause you have to do an stone-axe, do a shovel and dig holes (activities in the 7 hours each, with your poor tools).
Even if you can't eat all the meat, cook it all (for the first at least). Cooked cuts are worth less into trade (cuts are nearly worthless, anyway), but you can still eat them while spoiled. And spoiled food will only get you a bit sick, but won't kill you or put huge malus like starvation.
Spoiled food is good for you !

For weapons, I tend to prefer axes, since you almost always got one (well, except at start, your stone-axe sucks). Of course, it mainly depends on the clan of my character. Generally, Northerners are good at spears, while the "clan-that-is-the-easiest-but-I-don't-remember-the-name" can have a great skill at axe. And battle axe (if you survive that long and can trade for it).

If you want to try an alone game, I recommend that you had some mods for metallurgy, some leather crafts, and stuff. Once you get to forge your own axe, you feel so powerful (careful not to spoil the game though, this can easily make the game too easy).

So, unless you choose I want to be a fisherman scenario or follow the tutorial to get a fishing rod or handaxe, the best bet is trapping.

Hunting is still possible though, but it also depends more on your sneak and build. Which makes tiny Northerners better at hunting. I had a Owlman kill 2 elks (or the like) in the first week with javelins only (and a staff  :-\ ). You have to pursue the animal for a long time, and eventually, they'll feel asleep, allowing you for a hit, before they flee again, etc. You absolutely need a good bow skill, or a good spear skill to hunt, a decent sneak kill too. And luck. Luck is very important when surviving. Finding an elk and managing to kill him ? Fest on his corpse while making a trap for his comrades.
This make hunting much more rewarding.

OP last active in Nov 2012. Doesn't seem he visits on daily basis.

And his website monkeydonkey.info is DOWN.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 12:53:44 am by PanH »

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: February 13, 2013, 02:34:51 am »

Hmm, when's the last time this was updated? A few friends and I bought the game around 8 months ago and proceeded to play it to death. Any new features recently?
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: February 13, 2013, 07:15:19 pm »

Yup, there's the 3.15 which changed a few things and fixed some bugs. But there should be a bigger update coming (probably with the donation based system), so I would wait (except if you have life game).

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: February 17, 2013, 06:40:56 pm »

Version 3.16 (beta) is to be released next week, and it will be the first of several versions to be offered up full and free.

A full changelog has been posted: http://z3.invisionfree.com/UrW_forum/index.php?s=06e8a978829f696e23ea81f71af505a9&showtopic=3035
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101