Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299251 times)

intense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #1440 on: December 09, 2012, 08:21:16 am »

Got my first elk kill today after a long period of failed attempts but it was very rewarding. Made some furs and i can supplement my njerk meat based diet with some elk.
The humanity :D

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: December 09, 2012, 08:36:14 am »

Got my first elk kill today after a long period of failed attempts but it was very rewarding. Made some furs and i can supplement my njerk meat based diet with some elk.
The humanity :D

Nice job.
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: December 10, 2012, 11:42:33 pm »

I just started a new character : an Owl man (custom), with the scenario where I am wounded at start, starting in autumn.
Started with only some shallow cuts, and some minor punctures, lots of bruises.

Hopefully, I spawned near some bushes of crowberries, which I harvested (although, it's nearly not efficient, hunger/time). With ~80 fistfuls of crowberries (at least 10 needed for a meal), I made a stone axe (decent), and then a wooden shovel (decent too).
I explored a bit, climbed at some trees, until I saw a reinder. I went to the spot, chased it a bit, but with my wounds, I was really too slow. So I dug a hole, and made 1 trap pit (with spikes).
At that point, I was starving, but not thirsty (crowberries help against thirst too), so I stopped, and went to try find some other food.
I found some other bushes, milkweed, and other crowberries. I also found some unknown plants, "different flowers", "neat leaves", "fancy flowers". At some point, I tried to eat them, and well, I got poisoned and feverish. I continued to harvest some plants, until I had 50 crowberries (also a ton of plants I don't know, so I can't use), and 50 milkweed. I treated my wounds (the ones that didn't needed bandages) with water and milkweed. I was still at -50% injury, and -10% starving (really hard to fight starving with only some plants). But I had some food that would last enough to continue a bit my trap.

I went to my trap, and luckily, well, there was a reinder in it. It wasn't even a fence trap yet, and he still fell in.
_T_O_T_ (with T trees, _ empty space, and O the trap)
I killed it, with my stone axe (took me 5min RL, my axes skills are crappy), skinned it, and then cut it. I roasted 20 cuts right now, eat some, and slept.
For now, i'm safe about food, but soon enough, the meat will spoil, and I haven't a reliable source of food yet. I haven't found a village yet (and I don't use village to smoke my meat, because I don't feel like it's really the game's spirit).

I will try to not waste the food as much as possible, by roasting it at the last moment. I need to skin and tan the hide too, and make a shelter (lots of rain), with some wood (for fire), because it's already quite cold, and my clothes aren't really good. With the hide, I'll do either some clothes, either some ropes (for arrows/bow), I don't know yet. Also, I'm still under a bad case of poisining (anyone knows how to stop it from getting worse ?)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: December 10, 2012, 11:57:40 pm »

I use villages to smoke meat, but to make it feel a bit more 'real' I like to give the villagers some of the meat.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: December 11, 2012, 12:39:32 am »

Well, well.

I only managed to use only ~35 cuts of the reinder. I finished to build the trap, build a shelter, tanned the hide, make a bow, and 5 arrows, also some leggings, and some mittens, so I won't suffer from coldness anymore.
Badly, I ended up quite soon without any food. I didn't managed to find much other edible bushed, I managed to kill a black grouse (broke an arrow), and a squirrel, but that didn't feed me for long. Tried to fish, but was very bad at it, and it doesn't work very well with only a staff. In the end, I had to eat some of the odd plants I had, and ..... I died of poisoning after a few days. Poison kept on getting worse, until it was just too much to handle.
RIP.

I'm gonna try again, maybe with some more diy mods (for tub, maybe metalcrafting and such).

intense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: December 11, 2012, 02:58:29 am »

When you are in a tight situation and food is scarce, you can cook all the meat and not let the raw meat spoil.
You can still eat the spoiled food and it will fill only half of what you normally get otherwise because it will make you throw up but that's about it.
I live like that up to the point where i can raise me a house and start smoking it.
Cheers

Oh and for fishing i noticed that some places are just empty, so if you don't catch a fist in a place move to a different one in the same area, after you get a fish you can at least be sure it has that resource. I noticed that the best fishing places are the small portions of land that go into the water, the more it goes into the water the better. I hope you get my idea
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 03:01:48 am by intense »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: December 11, 2012, 05:13:27 am »

The best places to fish are actually typically out in the sea, or on river rapid tiles. That said, bad fishing skill is bad fishing skill, and nothing can make up for that, nor are bad tools (anything that isn't a fishing rod, or a net) helpful. If you're trying to survive in the wild with no human content, but you find the equipment selection a bit too limiting, diy mods are the way to go. Don't worry about what other people will think of what your mod does, just do what you think is most fun, we aren't judgeing what we can't see. :P

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: December 11, 2012, 11:08:27 am »

Don't discount ponds, though. I've pulled up loads of 20 Lavarats (2-3 lb fish) out of those (with a net). And often find them to be more reliable most of the year than rapids.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: December 11, 2012, 11:38:04 am »

Well, I took Rain's mod for ironcrafting, and pottery. Both need quite a lot of time to get anything done. And, well, I discovered I need a better axe than a stone one to do any of the two. I can't get firewood with a stone axe, nor do a potter wheel, because it's too long with a stone axe.

On fishing, I didn't noticed a lot of differences between the place (with my old seal fisherman). Sea is like lake, and often get the same message when you zoom in, and can get in quite a lot of fish. The only difference is it tends to get more salmon in rapids, instead of lavarets.

This time, I also spawned near some bushes, even more (and more effective hunger wise). After that, I climbed to a tree, to see where were animals, and hurted my leg, so badly that I wasn't able to stand anymore. Made a stone axe, and a shovel.

Anyway, I managed to do a full trap fence before getting out of food. After that, I chased a squirrel in an open mire (he made a run for a lone try), and then I launched a rock, for really long, before he died. I went near a lake, made a shelter, and luckily, fished a pike on my first try. Cooked both the pike and the squirrel, and I began to clean the hide. All that still crawling. I also got more plants, including a healing one, that I used on my punctures and my shallow cuts.
After 2-3 days, I went back to the trap, where there was a reinder, skinned it, and cut him. I roasted 60 cuts (way too much, but I'll eat them spoiled if needed), and traded 55cuts + 30 torches that I made for a knife. I was wanting an axe, but they were way too expensive, so I'll do in several times (btw any advice on what to make for trade ? Torches are really worthless).
So, right now, I'm tanning the reinder skin, and trying to make some things to trade (and just stopped crawling).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 11:41:56 am by PanH »

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: December 11, 2012, 03:14:04 pm »

Skins trade ok, if you want to break it up then you can make them into clothes first, bowls are generally used as trade crap now, torches used to be great but thats been taken out.  The easiest way ive found to get trade stuff is to find a random adventurer/hunter out in the wilderness, walk up behind him and brain him with an axe.  Then you can cut him up for meat as well, its kind of like cheating though.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: December 11, 2012, 03:20:21 pm »

I think spoiled food gives nutrition but you lose hunger. You can fill that hunger by drinking water. Not sure if that changed.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: December 11, 2012, 04:32:42 pm »

Water doesn't decrease hunger. No matter how much you drink.

Raw food causes you to become ill sometimes, not sure about spoiled food.

Yes, it does. If you drink enough water your hunger bar will go to 0, but your nutrition bar will stay the same. Spoiled food will make you sick, yes.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: December 11, 2012, 04:57:32 pm »

Raw food doesn't make you sick, you just can't eat it until you're very hungry.  Drinking water after you're quenched will restore small amounts of hunger, but give no nutrition, making it a great way to starve.  Eating spoiled food will make you vomit and (depending on your body stats) lose some amount of hunger bar.  But even my flimsy little Owl Tribe Waif could gain hunger via spoiled roasted meat, so it's better than nothing.

However...  It's worth noting that "Spoiled food does not go bad."  It can be somewhat viable to store a LOT of spoiled roasted cuts in preparation for winter.  Especially if you've got easy water, you can consume meat, replenish nutrition, vomit hunger, drink water, and be good.

I'm currently waiting on a broken elbow to heal, mainly heading to the local shaman and getting heals on top of shoddy bandages I've got.  Is there a good way for "wait 10 hours" or anything?

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: December 11, 2012, 05:04:08 pm »

How much Hideworking skill do you need to get decent quality fur/leather reliably? I currently have 43 and after skinning around 10 things, I've never managed to make anything that isn't "Harsh" (while using a decent broad knife to skin). The once or twice I ended up with a "decent" skin after skinning, it became harsh in the tanning process.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: December 11, 2012, 07:37:42 pm »

Hm, and what about spoiled raw food ? I guess it makes ill, and need to be very hungry to be eaten ? With spoiled food, vomiting, I manage to get well-fed or more, as I can eat more often. So this is a good way to get back from starving.

Sadly, there's no way to wait (or I haven't seen one), except sleeping. And you can't do anything with that broken elbow ? That's annoying (even more than crawling during days).

For the skins, I think it depends much on the size of the skin. I nearly always get a fine squirrel fur, while it can be harsh/decent on reinder and such.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 101