Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299370 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #1215 on: July 14, 2012, 04:21:34 am »

They'll really steal items?

...Come to think of it, my old storage shack did seem a bit empty when I went back to pick up supplies. A group of about 7 or 8 travelling merchants had shown up on that island and spent an entire season just fucking with me, opening doors and tracking muddy footprints through my drying meat piles.

Now I know where they get all those trade items from... For their sake, I hope they've moved out by the time I go back and pay a visit. >:|

Edit: FUCK! I just lost my raft. My raft had an entire set of iron armour on it, plus some other supplies. I loaded my game and it was just gone... I've looked everywhere. I remember leaving it at my settlement when I went exploring inland, but it's just vanished. :(
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 05:44:42 am by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: July 14, 2012, 06:39:01 am »

Yet another reason to build your settlement in a middle of nowhere.

Or even better, on an island surrounded on all sides by river tiles. Did that for once in an earlier version, maybe 3.10.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: July 14, 2012, 06:45:21 am »

Can someone help me, I can't figure out hunting or trapping! The only meat I get is from the cows and sheep I let out of their pens and follow into the wilderness! How do you find game?

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: July 14, 2012, 06:53:19 am »

You can try those ingame courses(F5 button), or read the help file under F1, dig through the wiki, or this thread. :)

At least make sure no village is near your hunting ground -- People at that time goes off far and wide on hunting trips for a reason.

Also, get some ranged weapons like bow & arrows, or javelins. Apparently animals don't have fatigue levels as of yet.

This rule also applies to trapping. As for trap fences, I suppose one of the starting scenarios can give you a general idea about that.

EDIT: Yet another reason to hate grammar.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 07:09:25 am by JWNoctis »
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: July 14, 2012, 07:02:01 am »

Trap fences are an excellent and obvious idea once you think about it. I've started using them in DF since playing URW when I want to capture lots of animals and they work pretty well there too.

Nothing like checking your trap fence at the end of the day in URW and finding a reindeer, an elk and a wolf in it at the same time. I didn't know whether to cheer or cry...

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1220 on: July 14, 2012, 07:05:41 am »

I suddenly wonder if trap fences work on villagers.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: July 14, 2012, 07:49:24 am »

trying to survive from the start with hunting/trapping is like winning a lottery on the first try.
and the daily (going to the suppermarket for food) survival is for me mostly always fishing.
if i start a game and do not fish and try to survive on hunting/trapping/farming .... gah... that never worked yet.

usually its fishing for days and if i manage to have a bit supply to last 1-2 days without fishing i try to hunt or build some traps around.

with hunting the problem is to find the damn animals XD, just running around randomly can work.. but mostly probably wont.
relatively regulary finding animals i just do with climbing trees at the forest edges to see if theres something then trying to intercept it. the actuall tracking skill doesnt seem to be of any use on the worldmap, just for finding tracks in the zoomed in map when the animals run away.

and with trapping i think its mostly effective to trapfence wall off some narrow way between i.e. 2 lakes...  think some tutorial ingame (?) said something about finding where animals wander around and set traps there too...  but never managed to get a trapfence working i.e. in the middle of a forest/nowhere or bother to find out where animals are over weeks/seasons... usually just lake walloffs kind of work for me.
and that also damn rarely, mostly a bird or squirrel in the loop snares etc i spread around the walled off area too... wandering around climbing trees kind of got me the most/earlyest meat atm after intercepting a elk or bear that way.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: July 14, 2012, 08:08:39 am »

I did not know that you could climb treesin the world map.

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING.

EDIT: Why won't this godammned bird leave me alone? It keeps waking me up at night with its damn cooing.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 09:04:40 am by Gamerlord »

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: July 14, 2012, 10:34:15 am »

I suddenly wonder if trap fences work on villagers.

Spoiler: Oh yes. (click to show/hide)

Some random traveller passed me heading north as I was constructing my fences. Then that happened.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 10:36:23 am by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: July 14, 2012, 12:16:06 pm »

Heh, my main peeve currently is villagers rocking up to sleep in my house, then leaving with my items. This is why I just had to kill and eat them all...

Put NON-covered, NON-spiked pitfalls around your entrances. People won't step into them and you go through them uninjured. Fences also work for animals, but I believe people used to be able to go through them. (Or maybe it was just hostile people.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: July 14, 2012, 01:38:37 pm »

Wait, you can go through uncovered ones just fine? Well, fuck. That's a character I lost way back when I was setting up my first trap fence gone down the drain. Those things are instant death.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: July 14, 2012, 01:46:35 pm »

Also, get some ranged weapons like bow & arrows, or javelins. Apparently animals don't have fatigue levels as of yet.
Are you serious? You mean the only time I actually killed an animal (an elk) in this game by chasing them for almost a day straight pelting them with rocks was actually a result of luck and not a demonstration of how humans are the superior long distance runners?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: July 14, 2012, 02:10:21 pm »

trying to survive from the start with hunting/trapping is like winning a lottery on the first try.
that's just plain wrong. hunting is pretty easy, you just have to stop worrying about feeding yourself for long enough to make a bow and some ammo(a short bow if you have a handaxe, a primitive bow otherwise). once you're done you should be somewhat malnourished, but nowhere near death. finding game is pretty easy in most of the peninsula, though a bit tougher near the driik lands, and bringing them down is pretty easy with any kind of bow

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: July 14, 2012, 09:09:59 pm »

Wait, you can go through uncovered ones just fine? Well, fuck. That's a character I lost way back when I was setting up my first trap fence gone down the drain. Those things are instant death.

Well, this was a few versions back, but, as I recall, you could walk into them and, when you tried to walk out, it'd automatically attempt a climb check. And, while I was never, ever, injured, I suppose it could theoretically happen. Emphasis on uncovered and unspiked. Walking into a spiked pitfall is pretty much death, any way to cut it.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: July 14, 2012, 09:13:22 pm »

So I've been trying to find something out here. Does anyone know if I can mod a kind of plant to be threshable for seeds?

I wanted to grow heather and Yarrow at my settlement partly for healing use and partly because I just like the look of them. But I have no idea what to put into the heather definition so I can grow it along with yarrow. I tried adding the seeds thing but that really didn't do anything.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 101