Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299412 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #1170 on: July 08, 2012, 01:04:31 pm »

Ah, what you want to play is Real World. That's not here.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: July 08, 2012, 02:25:02 pm »

Touché. :)
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: July 08, 2012, 02:43:26 pm »

Part of the rituals is because the game DOESNT want to be 100% realistic. The Unreal World is a Nordic iron age view of the world presented as it was known back then, much like Darklands is a representation of the feelings myths and legends of 15th century Germany.

So the fact that they work is actually important.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: July 08, 2012, 02:46:02 pm »

I steer clear of any rituals that have physical effects on the gameworld, like Oath or "Request for X". Sacrificing and appeasing the gods is fine, IMO, and reflects the spiritual beliefs of tribesmen of the time period. But to actually have... well... there's no other way to put it: magic in this otherwise realistic survival game, just feels wrong to me.
Well, lemme say one thing on the subject. Unreal World is something of a celebration of the Nordic lifestyle and people. So the game does want to offer you a reason to know all the rituals pertaining to all facets of life they found important, and reward you for doing so. Also, I actually found the rituals to be fairly vague. For all we know, this is a psychological effect on the player character that let's them see the world the way they think it works.

If you don't want to use them though, that's fine.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: July 08, 2012, 03:43:35 pm »

All the rituals generally just have effects which aren't especially noticeable, in fact you never know for sure if your ritual actually did anything at all.

Of course there did used to be a ritual that let you summon a giant fish to ride around, but they got rid of that.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: July 08, 2012, 04:07:51 pm »

Giant Fish was having none of that. Players summoning it all hours of the winter. Bending its fin all over the place. Doing barrel rolls.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: July 08, 2012, 04:19:51 pm »

I've always seen the rituals as memorized how-to lists. Or stories that will make you remember the important parts of, for example, making a fire. Which I suspect was a part of their true nature, back when. Much like the bible or qur'an is there to make us remember not to be douchbags to eachother...

But I don't really speak Finnish, so I guess that helps from a ignorance is bliss aspect. :)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: July 08, 2012, 06:32:44 pm »

I understand that, it just feels too cheaty. I use chants like "Permission to chop trees/sleep", "safety of the night" and "general sacrifice", because their effects are fairly hidden, or inconsequential. It's a nice thing to do if you're in the roleplaying spirit.

But to me, pushing a button and receiving a super-powered weapon or spawning a creature in a nearby tile (hunting rituals) isn't fun. I don't like I-Win buttons in my roguelikes. The game is harder for my reluctance to use these, and I'm very happy with that. :]
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: July 08, 2012, 11:51:36 pm »

Villages sometimes sell it. Not worth it in my opinion, as salting preserves a time in between Drying and Smoking. It's also very expensive.

Salted meat lasts LESS than smoked.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: July 09, 2012, 09:18:19 am »

That's exactly what he said.
*Hugs*

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: July 09, 2012, 09:49:43 am »

Its immaterial anyway. I have decided that cannibalism is the best way to get through winter - fresh human meat supplemented by dried reindeer. Hunting humans is much easier than wild animals.
This is a blank sig.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: July 09, 2012, 10:31:34 am »

That's exactly what he said.
No, he said that salting lasts longer than smoked, and less than dried. Salting meat is meant for when you don't have a house nearby, and feel like using the Sauna is a bit cheaty.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: July 09, 2012, 10:52:16 am »

He said in between drying and smoking, that implies longer than drying, but less than smoking.
*Hugs*

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: July 09, 2012, 11:28:52 am »

He said in between drying and smoking, that implies longer than drying, but less than smoking.

Drying is the one that preserves the longer.

He said: "as salting preserves a time in between Drying and Smoking"

If salting preserves "a time in between" it would be like this: Smoking < Salting < Drying.

I said: "Salted meat lasts LESS than smoked."

Which is the way it currently works: Salting < Smoking < Drying.

So no, we didn't say exactly the same thing. The difference was mainly the thing that was being said.

TL;DR: Salting is shit, and expensive. Smoking is cheap, and great, and works all year long. Drying is the best, also cheap, but only works certain seasons.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 11:30:24 am by Sergius »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: July 09, 2012, 11:55:46 am »

Ahh, I was under the impression smoked meat lasted longer than dried meat, thus my confusion.
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 101