Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299424 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #1140 on: July 05, 2012, 11:30:33 am »

I have so much Reindeer meat its silly... let me elaborate.

So I got this game the other day when Janet posted a link to the free version. I bumbled around for a while with my characters starving, being killed or dying in stuipd ways. Slowly I got the hang of fishing, trading for things and small scale hunting, and could live out a basic existence until winter where a lack of food would be my end. Then it all changed.

I rolled a pretty good character. Sunni Kaumolinen. Strong, agile, fast. I didnt have much starting gear, just a basic knife and handaxe. Using these I set up home south of the Driik, and went about the usual "struggle from day to day to eat" by chasing squirrels. I overdid the wood cutting a bit, so traded some javelins and torches for 20 or so salted meat cuts. With enough food for a week I started an Iron Age wilderness Megaproject - An almost 400m long trap fence with spike pits every 10m or so between the shores of a small lake and an impassable cliff face. By luck more than judgement it happens to be right across the migratory route of a massive herd of Reindeer. In Spring they head north through the fence, and in Autumn they head south through it. I have many hundreds of dried cuts filling a cluster of cellars. The easy food supply has allowed me to make a massive well furnished cabin from the local timber, and allowed me to aquire numerous tools and weapons. The many dozen furs keep me warm in winter and provide plenty of cord, rope and bandages. Trading with the local Driik has allowed me to aquire the finest axes and knives for my crafting, and a hunting bow (with many arrows) which needs to see little use. I am not interested in Iron as it slows me down. Alas, I have little time for anything other than processing the animals caught by the MegaFenceTM so have mothballed the fishing raft and nets, and see little need to engage in agriculture.

So, yea, creating an Iron age monopoly on animal products has been fun. As many others have mentioned in the thread, what do I do now I have limitless easy food and from that the ability to make/aquire anything I need or want? When Wnter rolls around again I might go on a bezerk killing spree - the pesky locals keep coming around to visit and I really wish they would leave me alone with my meat.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 11:34:18 am by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: July 05, 2012, 11:32:19 am »

I wish it was free. This game looks alright, but only a madman would spend even $3 on it, let alone $5. And $40 is almost as much as a year-old big-box title. Note that this is a  20-year-old game with cheesy 2D graphics... do the math.

I am NOT implying that all big-name games are good, nor that all old games with bad graphics are bad. But you can't expect anyone sane to spend the same amount of money on both.

Looks aren't everything and big box titles are $60 on up, even after a year in many cases. $3 is the cost of a sandwich and Unreal World is worth more than that. So is DF.

Dwarf Fortress actually is worth more than a sandwich, but Toady has had the good grace of not charging for it.
This isn't quite as good, but the developer expects three dollars just to download the current version. Or five if you want updates, or FORTY is you want all updates.

I don't understand why you wish it was free. If you don't think it's worth $3 to play, then certainly you do not think it's worth whining over not being able to play it?

So, yea, creating an Iron age monopoly on animal products has been fun. As many others have mentioned in the thread, what do I do now I have limitless easy food and from that the ability to make/aquire anything I need or want? When Wnter rolls around again I might go on a bezerk killing spree - the pesky locals keep coming around to visit and I really wish they would leave me alone with my meat.

Try making a long fuse out of branches and firewood connecting all buildings across several villages, and try to see if you can burn them all with a single fire (ok, actually, 2 fires are needed to start the fuse).

I did it on a single village, it could be fun to try in several.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 11:39:32 am by Sergius »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1142 on: July 05, 2012, 12:45:00 pm »

So I'm about to undertake a project starting today or tomorrow and I'd like to ask before I get started.

Does anyone here know anything about certain elements of the user interfaces graphics? As in are the .bmps in the root folder relevant anymore? Is trying to change the armor picture an exercise in futility? Stuff like that.

There's a graphical mod on the Unreal forums... so I think some of them do matter.

As many others have mentioned in the thread, what do I do now I have limitless easy food and from that the ability to make/aquire anything I need or want? When Wnter rolls around again I might go on a bezerk killing spree - the pesky locals keep coming around to visit and I really wish they would leave me alone with my meat.
Endgame D:

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: July 05, 2012, 02:22:51 pm »

I don't think the average person could lug around 259 lbs at once though :P
Neither does the average person in unreal world really. At that point though, I'd imagine the backpack you're dragging around to be on the floor as you futilely try walking forward. I think with the smaller physiques, 150 pounds of crud does actually stop you from walking with average strength.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1144 on: July 05, 2012, 03:01:32 pm »

With full strength, my character can lug 5 slender trees (250 lb) and then some tools.
Might be because I'm the K tribe with generally full stat bars.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: July 05, 2012, 03:14:36 pm »

ChristonianA (Youtuber who did a Let's Play of Unreal World, think he stopped though)...character could carry I believe 300 pounds or so. That was kinda crazy. I would have to re-watch his early UW videos and see what physique he ended up being and how much he could actually carry. I know it was a lot.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: July 05, 2012, 04:29:18 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_Strongest_Man

Find "farmer's walk" on page. Then see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifting_stone and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husafell_Stone

Here we have folks lifting fairly unwieldy loads (not strapped to the body and well-distributed, or in backpack, etc) of 400+ lb for a hundred feet or so in the latter case, and 300+ lb per hand in the former.

http://thedonovan.com/archives/modernwarriorload/ModernWarriorsCombatLoadReport.pdf pg 8, section 8.4: modern US army emergency march load per soldier is 120 to 150 lb for several days at 20km per day. (Mixing measurement systems!) That's an expectation of the average soldier, not just the beefy hardasses.

In Randolph B. Marcy's The Prairie Traveler, 1859, "The Spanish Americans are, however, cruel masters, having no mercy upon their beasts, and it is no uncommon thing for them to load their mules with the enormous burden of three or four hundred pounds." (p.100), and "One hundred and twenty-five pounds is a sufficient load for a mule upon a long journey." (p.109).

In John D. Billing's Hard Tack and Coffee, 1888, Civil War soldiers are described as being issued or trying to carry large amounts of gear but generally throwing most of it away along the roadside because it was heavy and/or bulky, to the extent of keeping only his daily rations (some 2 pounds), bowl and cup, basic clothes and shoes (one piece each), and of his overcoat and wool blanket and rubber blanket keeping two, and possibly his half-tent (which he was supposed to set up with another man to make a whole) and of course his gun / bullets / powder, and whatever small incidentals were in his pockets.

Medieval re-enactment people (SCA is all I know of firsthand) typically run around fighting with 10 lb clothes and boots, 50-70 lb armor, 8-10 lb shield, 6-8 lb weapon (total 70-100 lb) with greatly slowed walk and run speeds and in great danger of heatstroke depending on the climate. Ten minutes' fighting, six times over a few hours, plus movement between, is exhausting.

I'm an athletic-built person but honestly I'd describe my lifestyle as sedentary (I'm not out hauling bales of hay and throwing pigs and riding horses and moving 200 lb stones out of my field). I can lift and carry a 250 lb person a short distance over smooth dry cement but it feels like if I step wrong I'll break my ankles and knees. I can push around a wheelbarrow (the kind you lift two handles and it rests on one wheel in front) carrying six cubic feet of gravel (600 lb according to this) all day long.

Wikipedia says the energy required to pull weight supported by a 4-wheeled device rather than dragging it on the ground would be 1/40th, suggesting that if you can pull a 4,000 lb wagon at maximum you are able to drag only 100 lb on the ground at maximum. I know that I can push a fuel-less VW New Beetle (3,000 lb total weight estimate for vehicle plus occupant and cargo) over flat ground with some difficulty ... in flip-flops, which really didn't help. Let's say the friction problems associated with dragging versus carrying mean I could drag a 75 lb load such as a log under the same circumstances. With proper shoes and harness ... well, let's leave that experiment for Saturday. Yet this is counter-intuitive, since I know I can shove a heavy thing that I can't lift. Luckily this is just a side point on the topic of dragging vs. pulling and might have little bearing on carrying.

In summary, some aboriginal Finnish bruiser carrying 300 lb isn't impossible ... but carrying that load through a trackless forest over a long distance is no mean feat, and dragging it harder still.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #1147 on: July 05, 2012, 04:55:13 pm »

Wow, I had to drop in and say that post has the highest research/usefulness ratio I've ever seen on this forum! Didn't have to do that much work for this simple thing :)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: July 05, 2012, 05:31:28 pm »

Well, I know Janet for one mentioned she would find carrying 150 pounds fairly light for her, meanwhile, when I was fitter, 120 pounds was a bit much for me to get up the stairs.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: July 05, 2012, 06:08:53 pm »

I weigh 130 ._.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: July 05, 2012, 06:31:52 pm »

So I'm about to undertake a project starting today or tomorrow and I'd like to ask before I get started.

Does anyone here know anything about certain elements of the user interfaces graphics? As in are the .bmps in the root folder relevant anymore? Is trying to change the armor picture an exercise in futility? Stuff like that.

Pretty sure they're all relevant for the purposes of modding. First thing I did even before I played my first character was replace all the people pics with Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights portraits. Looks much more consistent in style now; I stuck as close as possible in looks to the original photos, so if I was replacing a girl in a fuzzy hat, I'd try to find a similar BG portrait to replace it with.

I've thought about changing other images to get rid of the whole, "awkward photos of bad nordic LARPers" theme it has going on, but that's a bit too much work for me just yet.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: July 05, 2012, 06:48:26 pm »

I've thought about changing other images to get rid of the whole, "awkward photos of bad nordic LARPers" theme it has going on, but that's a bit too much work for me just yet.

That is EXACTLY what I'm planning to do. Since I've said this before, and Ill say it a million times more. It's so bad looking it's almost charming. ALMOST. So it just looks plain bad.

I'm personally leaning towards replacing the actions with descriptive simple symbols and replacing most backrounds with drawn and not photographed scenery or clean and smooth looking textured backdrops. Same for that silly wood bar. Probably gonna replace that with a clean looking sort of border like the edge of a window.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: July 05, 2012, 07:35:52 pm »

I weigh 130 ._.

No wonder you fit in a hat.

/wears hat

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: July 05, 2012, 07:46:34 pm »

Wait I weigh 55 pounds more than Girlinhat? Certainly I guess tells me where the lifting strength comes from.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: July 05, 2012, 07:52:25 pm »

I weigh 120-130 pounds lol (it varies). I eat TONS, but my metabolism is crazy fast. I'm 6'1 :P

I can lift TWO one gallon milk jugs in both hands though :D ;P
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 101