Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299429 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #1110 on: July 04, 2012, 05:21:36 pm »

I used to train and gear up and grab me some dried meat for food and a lantern with some oil and delve into caves as an end-game activity. Sometimes the caves would keep going and going and going, and I'd be burning corpses for light after my lantern ran out and going even deeper. I seem to recall getting down several hundred levels on one character before dying to a pair of bears that came at me out of nowhere. Another one made it down past 100 before the cave ended (no more stairs down) and I managed to climb my way back out of it with a full suit of iron armor and various valuable trinkets looted from the place.

Game doesn't have that anymore, though. The equivalent I guess is gearing up and heading into njerpezit territory and seeing how many you can kill, which is likely pretty difficult now that they use bows against you (in older versions you could use a bow and clear out a whole camp from a distance without getting hurt, now they shoot back).
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1111 on: July 04, 2012, 05:28:39 pm »

Yeah, even though I'm at only late May (started from April) I'm pretty much endgame. I have tonnes of food, I have lots of nets, a good house, ways to get more food, maybe six sheep...

There really isn't much left to do. Other than chores, that is.
I might try one of the harder scenarios, or try a nomadic lifestyle on the 14 hour flight to Korea :3

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1112 on: July 04, 2012, 05:41:01 pm »

In my last bout of playing the game I played one character for 3 in-game years just living out his life traveling around and trading and such. Lived in one place for about a year after building a small cabin on a river, running traps up and down the river and catching foxes and other small animals - living off them and the fish I caught in between. I collected a lot of furs that I eventually traded to some foreign traders for a long mail coat. Then picked up and traveled the world for a while, trading with the driik and the northern tribes (picked up a battleaxe and some more armor from the driik and some northern bows from one of the northern tribes, can't remember which, as well as a bunch of arrows from one of the tribes in the middle of the map). I then stopped off over by the Njerpezit territory and had some skirmishes with them. I eventually traveled across the world back to his little cabin on the river, only to find three njerpezit camps and a bunch of them roaming nearby. I wiped them all out with my bow and settled back down in the cabin and tried farming for a bit.

It wasn't all action, but I had fun doing it. I guess that kind of gameplay isn't for everyone though.

Talking about it makes me want to play the game again, haha.  ;D
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: July 04, 2012, 05:44:53 pm »

a high agility character, naked and carrying only a good bow and ~20 arrows with a decent archery skill, is pretty badass. armor is pretty much useless, since weight is so crippling. you can wipe out njperzit camps and feed yourself easily without stockpiling in the warm months(the hard thing is not wasting hundreds of foods)

starting up a game in the kaumo is also pretty straightforward. if i have an handaxe i don't do anything before i have a shortbow and ~10 arrows, if no handaxe i make a primitive bow, and despite being at the brink of starvation by then, getting a large kill is fairly easy if you rolled a half decent archer

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: July 04, 2012, 08:03:42 pm »

I had a tough time surviving the first few days, until I figured out what a meat-generating combination archery and fishing nets can be. Traps take too long to set up in the beginning, and manually fishing with a rod I was barely able to stave off constant starvation, let alone have the time or energy to accomplish other things.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you; I think this game simulates rough survival pretty well. And you would find living difficult if all you did was spend 20 hours a day trying to catch a single fish, or chase hares around with a handax. Initially I felt like my choices were limited due to imbalance, but that's just an effect of the gameplay sticking true-ish to life. Life isn't balanced, and when all you've got are a few tools at your disposal, there's only going to be a few sure ways to survive from that starting point.

Btw, I have a question: I've had a few instances where the villagers didn't like me chopping trees or building/deconstructing things in their territory (even if the thing I was deconstructed was built by me to begin with); will they eventually get super-pissed at me if I keep doing it? If so, is there any cooldown? Can I piss them off occasionally, and still be in their good books?
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1115 on: July 04, 2012, 08:09:03 pm »

I have no idea, Moogie. :P

About the hardness... I like that part too. It's realistic in the difficulty and the ability to starve, among other things. Setting nets really -is- low-effort hi-return, and once I had 3 or 4 nets I was basically drowning in fishies.

I don't think the average person could lug around 259 lbs at once though :P

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: July 04, 2012, 08:24:42 pm »

I wish it was free. This game looks alright, but only a madman would spend even $3 on it, let alone $5. And $40 is almost as much as a year-old big-box title. Note that this is a  20-year-old game with cheesy 2D graphics... do the math.

I am NOT implying that all big-name games are good, nor that all old games with bad graphics are bad. But you can't expect anyone sane to spend the same amount of money on both.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: July 04, 2012, 08:25:45 pm »

In my first quite successful first run probably two years ago, I ventured until I found a river and then setup a small hut there as my base and food storage.

I then built a raft and fishing nets and yes I did get boatloads of fish from them!

I tried setting up traps but they did not have decent yield. Fishing nets were more reliable.

I should play this again...
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: July 04, 2012, 08:28:16 pm »

I wish it was free. This game looks alright, but only a madman would spend even $3 on it, let alone $5. And $40 is almost as much as a year-old big-box title. Note that this is a  20-year-old game with cheesy 2D graphics... do the math.

I am NOT implying that all big-name games are good, nor that all old games with bad graphics are bad. But you can't expect anyone sane to spend the same amount of money on both.

Looks aren't everything and big box titles are $60 on up, even after a year in many cases. $3 is the cost of a sandwich and Unreal World is worth more than that. So is DF.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: July 04, 2012, 08:31:20 pm »

I think maybe you should note that this game isn't 20 years old, it's been in development for 20 years. There's a big goddamn difference. Just because you're too dense to get how this game is worth a measly 3$ doesn't make it so. The development for this game has been ongoing for a very long time and 3$ is a pittance in comparison.

Like I've said before, I bought a one-time version years ago, and I still don't regret it because I'm glad I supported the dev.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: July 04, 2012, 08:34:35 pm »

Looks aren't everything and big box titles are $60 on up, even after a year in many cases. $3 is the cost of a sandwich and Unreal World is worth more than that. So is DF.

Dwarf Fortress actually is worth more than a sandwich, but Toady has had the good grace of not charging for it.
This isn't quite as good, but the developer expects three dollars just to download the current version. Or five if you want updates, or FORTY is you want all updates.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: July 04, 2012, 08:35:10 pm »

Same here. I paid for full version and it's money better spent than some of the "AAA titles" out there.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1122 on: July 04, 2012, 08:40:03 pm »

Yes, the graphics for this game are really bad, but the gameplay is surprisingly deep and well-thought-out.

I would think $3 a huge bargain for this game, though it does have a bunch of not-so-great points.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: July 04, 2012, 08:44:58 pm »

Dwarf Fortress actually is worth more than a sandwich, but Toady has had the good grace of not charging for it.
This isn't quite as good, but the developer expects three dollars just to download the current version. Or five if you want updates, or FORTY is you want all updates.

I've always used $1 for every hour of enjoyment as my metric for valuing video games, and you can get a good 3 hours just from the demo version of URW. How do you determine how much a game is worth paying for?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: July 04, 2012, 08:49:19 pm »

The thing is, you're paying for entertainment quality, and hours played. That's what decides a smart buy or not. I can pay $60 on a AAA game today, probably blow through it in several hours, and be done with it, and wait for a sequel, and not expect any free addons after the initial purchase. Or I can pay 3 dollars on something that will probably give me a lot more entertainment time out of it, 5 dollars for that with some upgrades, or 40 dollars overall for a shitload of development effort down the road.

It seems pretty obvious to me.

I've always used $1 for every hour of enjoyment as my metric for valuing video games, and you can get a good 3 hours just from the demo version of URW. How do you determine how much a game is worth paying for?

Pretty much that.

But I got the 5$ version for now, just waiting for my email.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 08:52:48 pm by Vherid »
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 101