Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299781 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #900 on: December 27, 2011, 09:08:25 am »

The Lifetime Registration is more of a donation option rather than an actual purchase. So pick it whenever you feel like donating.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: December 27, 2011, 09:26:36 am »

There's still plenty of ways to expand the game, namely having NPC that work for you long-term, with things like farming, fishing, hunting, and also making sure they all can eat and be clothed.  In other words, found your own village, or at least your own little family.

Yeah this COULD be added, but I see the game mostly as a sole person trying to survive, and currently thats pretty much what it is. The stuff you cant get, you can get from trade and I started as a fisherman in my current game getting nets!
Having said that, its an immensely fun game as it stands.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: December 27, 2011, 10:14:24 am »

http://www.jmp.fi/~smaarane/urw_development.html

Seems the developer has a slightly different view of the game to you, deadmeat ;) family life and more interactive NPCs are very much a part of the long term goals...

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #903 on: December 27, 2011, 10:39:58 am »

He could have called the game finished years ago when I bought it, it was a fun game then. But he keeps improving it. It's his hobby, and he's already been at it for nearly twenty years now, so I doubt he's going to suddenly stop.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: December 27, 2011, 10:41:41 am »

Yeah, check the copyright date in the corner of the main menu.  I thought it was a typo.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: December 27, 2011, 11:12:16 am »

He could have called the game finished years ago when I bought it, it was a fun game then. But he keeps improving it. It's his hobby, and he's already been at it for nearly twenty years now, so I doubt he's going to suddenly stop.
Sami's stated he isn't going to quit barring Author Existence Failure. Which prompted a number of questions about his health. He assured us here's good for another (insert ambiguous time variable).

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: December 27, 2011, 12:33:59 pm »

Nice looking Green's on that current devlog....I bought a Lifetime License years ago, and though I've not had the time to really properly play or even keep updated on my copy and such, it still remains one of my most pleased purchases as he continues to do excellent work.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: December 27, 2011, 12:55:26 pm »

http://www.jmp.fi/~smaarane/urw_development.html

Seems the developer has a slightly different view of the game to you, deadmeat ;) family life and more interactive NPCs are very much a part of the long term goals...

These have been goals since it was created, it has been created for a long time. When I said this is how I see it, I meant this is how I see it within the next 5 years XD
I hope that stuff is implimented, but I'm not going to hold my breath and wait ;)

Affinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Unreal World and Wurm Online
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: December 27, 2011, 07:35:01 pm »

As a new player what should i start doing first?
We fight to the end.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: December 27, 2011, 08:18:58 pm »

As a new player what should i start doing first?
dont want to "spoiler" everything for new people or give "min/max" builds... so i just say:

i guess to learn the basics as new player you should atleast:
-start in summer
-pick the 2nd "living in the wild"-game course scenario. (gives tutorial-ish quests that explain the basics and hands you some extra tools.)

all other choices dont matter "that much" just to start learning the basics so just pick what sounds usefull for you. (of course higher "stats" are better than lower etc but you dont realy need to have max stats in everything and after 1-2 chars you have a better feel what skills are usefull for you... i.e. "survival" or "fishing" and not "unarmed combat" or so.)

if you keep dieing from starvation you could pick the "i want to be a fisherman" start-up scenario too, as the nets probably help alot if you have troubble finding food overall.

if (probably takes a few tries) you manage to complete all quests (F5) of that 2nd game course, try the 3rd course "advances adventures" with another char as that one gives alot advance quest objectives. (not sure if you get these automatical after beating all of the 2nd...)

and as in every other roguelike-ish game: have fun exploreing, finding out how stuff works, and try to be better with a new char than the previous dead one.

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: December 27, 2011, 08:50:32 pm »

I love URW.  The only thing that drives me crazy is that it's still not possible to wind your own cord from nettles or other common fibrous plants.  I mean, I'm a city boy but even I know how to make strong cordage out of certain plants like dogbane, hemp, etc.  I remember cordage in this game being a constant hassle to obtain without a stock of hides to make it from.  Almost a game-ruiner for me, considering how important cordage can be.  It's a very basic skill.  Certainly our characters all learned how to do it when they were still in swaddling clothes!
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

Epithemius

• Bay Watcher
  • [AFTERTHOUGHT:100]
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: December 27, 2011, 11:22:45 pm »

You could mod it in. I believe there's a few mods out there that enable things like that.

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: December 28, 2011, 12:17:53 am »

The Lifetime Registration is more of a donation option rather than an actual purchase. So pick it whenever you feel like donating.

True. Considering the game has been made over the course of 20 years and the major version probably lasts about a year, the major version will probably last you until you get bored with it, and you could always purchase the major licence again in a few years to see how the game is shaping up.

I want to get the major version, but the next release marks the end of the 3.1 major releases (apparently 3.15 is the end of that major release) so if you got it now, you would get one update and that is it.

Also, just finished the trial version, and survived it, but barely. The last few days of the trial was wasted trying to get food, which I eventually got but by the time I got enough, it was too late. Never got to try trapping, not so much killing (my version of killing is throwing rocks at a wolf) or finding villages (I found a hermit, but he wasn't that interesting). But I had a great 10 days with my character. I think I will make 1 more, try to do as many tasks as possible, and not randomly roll him (I randomly rolled my first guy, he was pretty cool, he had 84 dodge or something like that) and might buy the major release after that.
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

Affinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Unreal World and Wurm Online
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: December 28, 2011, 12:39:17 pm »

heh... im working on a 5x4 house... 3 walls done + 22 logs... fun >.<
We fight to the end.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: December 28, 2011, 02:03:53 pm »

I love URW.  The only thing that drives me crazy is that it's still not possible to wind your own cord from nettles or other common fibrous plants.  I mean, I'm a city boy but even I know how to make strong cordage out of certain plants like dogbane, hemp, etc.  I remember cordage in this game being a constant hassle to obtain without a stock of hides to make it from.  Almost a game-ruiner for me, considering how important cordage can be.  It's a very basic skill.  Certainly our characters all learned how to do it when they were still in swaddling clothes!

True, It amuses me that I have to cannibalise my clothes in order to make arrows XD
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 101