Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299821 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #855 on: December 25, 2011, 05:11:19 pm »

Derp... im a retard :/

Thats okay. The first step is admitting it.

:P

Merry Christmas!
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Affinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Unreal World and Wurm Online
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: December 25, 2011, 05:56:30 pm »

Derp... im a retard :/

Thats okay. The first step is admitting it.

:P

Merry Christmas!

Hehe yea Merry christmas to you too!
We fight to the end.

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: December 25, 2011, 06:30:23 pm »

I've never really been able to get into the game much at all. To me, the combat pales in comparison to DF. Sure, it has facing, and running/walking toggle and of course fatigue. Those are all great things, but the fact that I can start the game as a person with -moderate- weapon skill and sucker punch a kid in the head with a knife and -not- kil him? It wasn't even a fluke, after they didn't die from immediate head trauma the kid continues to try and kick me like some little bruce lee. ((and admittedly we are both dodging around like we know what we're doing)) It takes many, many deep stab wounds to his most vital areas for the child to give in to sweet sweet death ((not to mention the act of missing an attack has cause my knife to drop at my feet -countless- times))

The other aspects are fine, the game has charm. But when randomizing someone's anatomy is more akin to a health bar then organ trauma, I prefer the future Toady has in store for us.
What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: December 25, 2011, 06:33:27 pm »

Well, simple truth is you're not gonna find another game where you can stab your knife through the upper body and rip the liver.  Instead you just hit the torso and deal damage.  Toady has spoiled us all on specific combat moves, but URW has great combat options for what it is, although it does seem that you're a terrible fighter.  I stabbed a sleeping rabbit and failed to hold the knife steady.  Really?  I'm that pathetic?

Affinity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: December 25, 2011, 08:01:05 pm »

Any tips for a noob?
All these for start
What clan
what season
what starting thing ( lonely settler, i want the be a fisherman, etc. )
We fight to the end.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: December 25, 2011, 09:26:20 pm »

I enjoy owl tribe and kuikka, they both have lithe builds and high stats for agility and such.  Not the strongest, but that's not their strength.  Keep re-rolling your stats until you get good agility at the least, your starting attributes determine your starting skills.  I start in spring, it's awfully convenient.

If you plan on trading, invest in carpentry to make some wooden bowls.  They're not as valuable as they were in previous versions, but you can buy a fishing net for 5, and enough of them will buy you anything.  I've never seen someone really deny the bowl for barter.  If you can buy a milking animal you've got food forever, apparently.

I usually start with "unfortunate hunting trip" because that starts you with a lot of supplies and food, just cut up your father and go cook the meat - though I usually end up drying much of it.  If you can produce 5 bowls and buy a net, then you're golden on basic food, though you'll still need to go hunting in order to get hides.

My biggest advice would be to start on the SW ocean, right there in Driik territory.  You can set your nets 5 tiles from shore (personal tiles, not map tiles) and catch a ton of fish.  Especially the one kind, Lavarets, if you catch them then you get like 15+ in your net at once and they each weight 4 pounds, MASSIVE food stock.  Get yourself some dried lavarets (use a shelter to dry things cheaply, don't need a wall) and a cellar to put the dried fish in, and you're set for winter.  Starting as a fisherman gets you nets, while starting with the hunting trip gets you an axe or two and some meat, so you can easily make a few bowls to buy a net.  Mainly, the hunting trip nets you a shortbow every time I've played it, and that's awfully convenient.

Oh, and a little trick... very Dwarven Brutality...  Find an adventurer, either in town or in the wild, and hire them to come with you, you'll pay with food.  Travel anywhere, tell them to stay put, and then move ~5 tiles away and shoot at their legs.  You can usually knock them down easy, and keep firing to kill them, netting you a bit of archery exp in the process.  Then go loot the corpse for your own meat (that you traded) PLUS the adventurer's meat cuts and all their equipment!  I'm just ashamed that you cannot skin a human corpse...

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #861 on: December 25, 2011, 09:56:57 pm »

Or you could, I don't know, maybe NOT murder your fellow man just for the clothes on his back and a few tools?

What am I saying, this is the Dwarf Fortress forums. You can also dig a spiked pit trap near a village and lure unsuspecting villagers to their death, then roast them up and eat them and trade their shirt in at the shop for that tool you wanted.

"This shirt here, with the holes and covered in blood and dirt? Yea, my hunting partner was attacked by a giant porcupine. Poor fellow didn't make it. You say it looks like the shirt your brother Arvo was wearing today? Huh, what a coincidence. Can I have the carving axe now? I'll throw in twenty pounds of fresh roasted meat."
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Affinity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: December 25, 2011, 10:26:45 pm »

Alright thx
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 11:17:15 pm by Affinity »
We fight to the end.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: December 25, 2011, 10:40:53 pm »

I usually start with "unfortunate hunting trip" because that starts you with a lot of supplies and food, just cut up your father and go cook the meat - though I usually end up drying much of it.
Best part.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: December 25, 2011, 10:52:18 pm »

Wow....I don't think any other game has encouraged the possibility of eating your own father... -THAT- almost makes me want to give it another go.

Almost.
What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: December 25, 2011, 11:08:07 pm »

Sadly he doesn't appear as your father in-game, though the description during character creation says "your father" the corpse in the woods only appears as "vagrant hunter" or somesuch.  Apparently you never knew your father's name, and as such there is no "Dried Fatherly Cuts".

Affinity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: December 25, 2011, 11:16:57 pm »

Hey... um yea i keep crashing how do i fix it
We fight to the end.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: December 25, 2011, 11:40:13 pm »

Downloading the demo for this game atm, say what is worth it monetary wise?  Current major update, current version, or is the game really that good to splurge 50$ on lifetime?
Nom nom nom

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: December 26, 2011, 12:17:18 am »

If you like HnH then you'll like URW, it's worth $5 of playtime.  For comparison, minimum wage in my state is $7.50.  If you're willing to work 45 minutes for the game, then it's worth it.  That might be cutting a medium-sized lawn or raking leaves.  Would you cut the neighbor's lawn if they offered you this game?  I'd be ALL OVER their yard if they were handing me hot indie roguelikes!

Luckily there's a demo, and the demo contains -basically- the major facets of the game, though it only has 10 days.  That's not enough time to do much, I don't think a hide would tan in that time, and it's certainly not enough time to endure winter.  So it covers a lot, but not the whole length of things that change with time.  Still, if you like the demo you'll like the game, that's what demos are made for!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: December 26, 2011, 01:00:28 am »

Mods can also add quite a lot. Owlcall has a smithing mod that makes the game more doable for the people who prefer to just hunker down and get things done rather than chase through villages for a specific tool. I've done my own stuff to have buildable water tiles for wells, and you can even add the ability to 'plant' (summon from the beyond) trees.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 101