Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299864 times)

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #780 on: March 30, 2011, 10:17:02 am »

That depends on your own preference. Actually I've been doing that for quite a long time, as the latest and only version I have is 3.10-2...Probably a bit too long, DF was on 40a at that time. :P
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: March 30, 2011, 10:18:01 am »

lol, is it worth it anyway? It seems to simple for me to shell out money.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: March 30, 2011, 01:42:27 pm »

eh, i too was unimpressed at first, graphically it's really ugly, and the interface is even tougher than df, but in the end is a pretty fun game, and it's really cheap, even if it's just for a single version, they only come out every three months or something(patches are included in the single version deal)

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ungodly beard of awesome]
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: May 16, 2011, 08:37:30 pm »

So I've found the Wiki and in-game help lacking, how do I get some fricken food? My bow shots never land, prey always out-run me, sneaking to targets always freaks the prey out well before I'm in decent range, traps never score any animals, etc. Help.  ::)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 16, 2011, 08:37:51 pm »

So I've found the Wiki and in-game help lacking, how do I get some fricken food? My bow shots never land, prey always out-run me, sneaking to targets always freaks the prey out well before I'm in decent range, traps never score any animals, etc. Help.  ::)

Fishing.
*Hugs*

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: May 16, 2011, 08:39:46 pm »

I forgot to add that to my rant. Yes, fishing fails hard as well. I catch something maybe one in twenty attempts, it really doesn't come off as sustainable. I've tried fishing with a club, rod and trident from a variety of locations and even out off shore in a punt. Works just as much as my other attempts.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: May 16, 2011, 08:44:14 pm »

You need really good skill in fishing to do well. Getting a few nets helps too.
Making a few trap pits is good, without godlike skill you're never going to take down anything bigger than a squirrel without them.

If you're located in Driik land then your best bet is to mass produce bowls to trade to them for food. Bags of grain are excellent as you can mill them into flour for bread or make them into porridge.
Setting up a farm as early as possible is good too.
If you're playing in summer then there should be mushrooms scattered around that will regenerate when you leave the area, although you have to be careful of poison. at the end of Autumn you can steal the food from the fields around villages as well as pick the berries that grow, although Autumn is really too late to be stockpiling for winter.

If you start as Owl Tribe you get the highest fishing skill I think, fishing with a rod would regularly get me 3 fish more than 5lbs each.

Edit: Fishing without a rod is useless without godlike skills as well. I suggest you mod in the ability to make fishing rods if you can't buy one.
*Hugs*

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: May 16, 2011, 09:10:57 pm »

Thanks for the tips.

Simply, in the first few days how do you go about getting food? Starvation hits me fast.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: May 16, 2011, 09:13:14 pm »

Well, I'm usually a pretty high fishing skill character.
But if you aim for starting in Driik land (Hit C on map generation and randomize your location until you're in the cyan area) then you'll be able to trade.

Are you doing the "living in the wild" course? Because it gives you a lot of useful abilities and skill boosts
*Hugs*

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 16, 2011, 09:17:12 pm »

I start as a Kies, and reroll til my stats are amazing as can be reasonably attained. I put points into fishing, the bow, tracking, trapping, and club. Then, I use the fisherman start in Driik territory, with the "living in the wild" course. I'll have some nets, a rod and a spare, and some basic tools. From there, it is a matter of stockpiling fish as much as I can, and trying to find a critter.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: May 16, 2011, 09:58:44 pm »

I attempted Living in the Wild twice at first, before trying Abandoned Camp and the trap fence one. I didn't get past tanning.. I think I needed a surface I didn't have. I skinned, cleaned and cured or something like that only to find I couldn't do the next step. I'll give it another go though ;D

Unrelated, how do I go about preserving food early on? It seems like I need my own house to dry or smoke and I don't have surplus wealth to go after salt.

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: May 16, 2011, 11:26:16 pm »

You can smoke stuff next to a shelter, if I remember correctly. You need some stuff to tie with and such.
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: June 12, 2011, 04:55:51 am »

You can smoke stuff next to a shelter, if I remember correctly. You need some stuff to tie with and such.

Dry. To dry.

To smoke, you need a heated room, like a sauna or your own house with a fireplace. Then you smoke the food inside that.

Also, the cow that the nearby village released came back! I had my rope on hand still so I didn't need to shoot it! :D

The next step to tanning is beating. You need a table and a club/rock/firewood

EDIT: Woo! One of the villagers walked into my trap fence! Meat!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 06:16:57 am by Supercharazad »

enigma74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: June 12, 2011, 09:45:37 am »

I forget, is there any truly unperishable food in this game?  Some things that come to mind from previous versions are:

- Using spoiled flour to make porridge?  I forget if this worked.
- Storing food on an pet animals back?

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: June 12, 2011, 12:05:21 pm »

I forget, is there any truly unperishable food in this game?  Some things that come to mind from previous versions are:

- Using spoiled flour to make porridge?  I forget if this worked.
- Storing food on an pet animals back?

Not sure. An interesting trick:

You can offer enough items to a villager to buy a cow. Then, press "0". Then, go back to the buying a cow menu.

Lo and behold, green menu, no items, free cow.

Also, cows don't need feeding, never spoil and give a crapton of meat. also, with two cows and two tubs, you can simply milk both cows each day and never have to worry about food again.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 101