Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299872 times)

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #750 on: January 15, 2011, 02:24:54 pm »

I wish the player could craft more items.  Not being able to even make cordage by hand is frustrating, because even I know how to do that and my Finnish forest commando can't.  So I spend a lot of time farking around in villages trading for pieces of cord and rope.

You can make cord and leather rope yourself. Shift+M then go to the utility articles sub-menu, they're in there.

Still, it should be possible to wind cord from natural fibers.  At least, it would be nice.  Though, as you get a little more wealthy, cord is easy enough to trade for... one cut of meat or something like that.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: January 15, 2011, 02:38:19 pm »

Still, it should be possible to wind cord from natural fibers.  At least, it would be nice.  Though, as you get a little more wealthy, cord is easy enough to trade for... one cut of meat or something like that.

It may be possible at some point, the game is in continuous development.

Would certainly be nice to use all that sinew that currently doesn't exist at all.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: January 15, 2011, 03:01:05 pm »

Yeah, I'm-a crossin' my fingers.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: January 15, 2011, 04:08:16 pm »

Actually, the "make" menu of the latest version is moddable.  So, in theory, you should be able to create a formula to do exactly what you want.

I say "in theory", because I have not tried modding the game.

If I were to mod the game, I'd add the ability to create small knives from rocks or stones.  Otherwise, losing one's knife is sort of an "End Game" condition in many cases.  Beside, how hard would it be for our Finnish commando to makeshift a knife?  (I really don't know, as again I have never tried it.  But it seems natural to the theme of the game)

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: January 15, 2011, 04:31:58 pm »

Actually, the "make" menu of the latest version is moddable.  So, in theory, you should be able to create a formula to do exactly what you want.

I say "in theory", because I have not tried modding the game.

If I were to mod the game, I'd add the ability to create small knives from rocks or stones.  Otherwise, losing one's knife is sort of an "End Game" condition in many cases.  Beside, how hard would it be for our Finnish commando to makeshift a knife?  (I really don't know, as again I have never tried it.  But it seems natural to the theme of the game)

Right now, with the current modding system, you can't really make new items. Any "new" item you make will draw its stats directly from an item that already exists.

You could mod in a flint knife for sure, but it'd essentially just be a renamed version of a knife already in the game, for example.

Edit: My point being that the current modding system is really only useful for making ways to craft items currently in the game (or are very similar to current items) and not for creating new ones.

I do believe there will be ways to add new items in the future, though.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 04:53:48 pm by Jehdin »

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: January 15, 2011, 06:10:44 pm »

That doesn't really seem like 'modding' per se... just renaming.  Bummer.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: January 15, 2011, 06:37:31 pm »

That doesn't really seem like 'modding' per se... just renaming.  Bummer.

Well, like I said, it's not really for making new items yet, more for modding in ways to make items that you can't normally make, like any bow but the simple or short bow. I believe there are mods that make it possible to make hemp clothing and smith your own metal weapons and armor now too.

Edit: Link to the smithing mod
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 08:43:31 pm by Jehdin »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 16, 2011, 08:05:34 pm »

I really want that smithing mod but can't figure out how to install it. I've unpacked it and put the three diy. files into my UrW folder where all the other stuff is, but the mod is not taking effect. Halp?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: January 16, 2011, 08:47:54 pm »

I really want that smithing mod but can't figure out how to install it. I've unpacked it and put the three diy. files into my UrW folder where all the other stuff is, but the mod is not taking effect. Halp?

If you've put the files in the UrW folder, it should work. Sure you're using the latest version? 3.13-patch 1?

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 16, 2011, 08:57:27 pm »

Yep, 3.13 with the patch. I get some of the items, but not the vast majority.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: January 16, 2011, 09:01:58 pm »

Yep, 3.13 with the patch. I get some of the items, but not the vast majority.

In menudef_owlcall_smithing.txt, are all those showing up in the shift+M list?

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 16, 2011, 09:09:53 pm »

Not a one is. I get the Shift+M list that the vanilla game has, but some of the menus hold items from owlcalls mod, like the clay spatula.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 16, 2011, 09:15:00 pm »

Not a one is. I get the Shift+M list that the vanilla game has, but some of the menus hold items from owlcalls mod, like the clay spatula.

I just tried it and it's all listed fine.

The lumber and transport menus are supposed to have some new items, so at least those are showing correctly.

The only thing I can think of is the game isn't finding the menudef file for some reason.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 09:24:34 pm by Jehdin »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 16, 2011, 09:30:11 pm »

No other mods, they're in the same folder as all the other files like the run files and vanilla diy. files. I didn't rename, delete, or move anything, save moving the three files from where I unpacked them at to my UrW folder. Anything I could do to the menudef file to force the game to find it?

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: January 16, 2011, 09:33:15 pm »

No other mods, they're in the same folder as all the other files like the run files and vanilla diy. files. I didn't rename, delete, or move anything, save moving the three files from where I unpacked them at to my UrW folder. Anything I could do to the menudef file to force the game to find it?

You could try deleting the "_smithing" at the end of the menudef file. Maybe the line is too long? If you have it nested in folders with long names that can happen, I think.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 101