Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299899 times)

laclongquan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #735 on: January 10, 2011, 09:02:37 am »

To check warmth, press spacebar, armour (a), and warmth (w). If you got green allover your body it's okay.

Make a full clothes set from a stag/elk/big reindeer fur. Then wearing some more iron armours for protection.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: January 10, 2011, 12:45:20 pm »

I must say, winter is NOWHERE as deadly/annoying as it used to be.

As it was before, it was 100% impossible not to get frostbite say, in the face, where there's hardly any armor even if you layer it. This time around I can prance around in my skis like nothing, and I don't really need more than one piece of fur in each part of the body.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: January 10, 2011, 03:34:58 pm »

Make a full clothes set from a stag/elk/big reindeer fur. Then wearing some more iron armours for protection.

Bear is the best fur (IIRC) and also the best meat, one piece will take away almost half the hunger bar.

And I've found that iron armor isn't really worth the weight and the skill penalty that carries, it makes it much more difficult to fight effectively.
In fact, in the summer, I run around in very little clothing to minimize penalties.

I must say, winter is NOWHERE as deadly/annoying as it used to be.

As it was before, it was 100% impossible not to get frostbite say, in the face, where there's hardly any armor even if you layer it. This time around I can prance around in my skis like nothing, and I don't really need more than one piece of fur in each part of the body.

Yeah, I remembered hearing about how treacherous winter was so I had a stack of about 1000 firewood ready and a full set of bear fur clothing layered with a few wool clothes. And then I found I never get less than warm inside my cabin and on all but the coldest days I can sleep outside with no fire...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 05:54:20 pm by Jehdin »

laclongquan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: January 12, 2011, 12:20:35 am »

Bear is a big risk for new characters. At the start you are lucky to get a reindeer.

Keep the total weight down to lower than 25% is enough.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: January 12, 2011, 12:24:18 am »

Bears aren't so risky as long as you have a decent bow and enough arrows. If it chases you, you can try to melee it if you have a decent weapon. I once took a bear down with 2 arrows to the legs and a few handaxe blows to the head.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: January 12, 2011, 12:29:02 am »

Bear is a big risk for new characters. At the start you are lucky to get a reindeer.

Keep the total weight down to lower than 25% is enough.

Depends on how bad (or not) your starting skills/stats/items are. My first character on this version was pretty decent, found a shortbow and some arrows near his dad's corpse. Not too far away was a bear, which he was able to take with only a minor wound.

He was later killed by a group of Njerpez, but he sure had a nice start, bear fur and a bunch of meat.

And any penalty is taken directly from your skill level. 60% bow skill? 25% weight penalty? That's 35% bow skill as far as the game's concerned. It's kind of a broken system, honestly.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 12:35:13 am by Jehdin »

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: January 12, 2011, 01:02:29 am »

so I just killed my character via dehydration.

I was so busy working on building part of my cabin for like 4 days i forgot my character needed water, and kept feeding him and forgot about his water needs lol....
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: January 12, 2011, 01:37:58 am »

Bears aren't so risky as long as you have a decent bow and enough arrows. If it chases you, you can try to melee it if you have a decent weapon. I once took a bear down with 2 arrows to the legs and a few handaxe blows to the head.

A bear ambushed me. I shot a couple of arrows, missed. He came to me and started mauling.

Normally, I would have stopped and readied a melee weapon. Probably would have had to restart after dying from my wounds. Instead, I decided to notch another arrow, fire at its feet. Dodge. Fire another arrow. I got hit, my fur armor absorbed some of the blow. In the end, I killed it point blank with my arrows, got about 15% injury. Way better than with an axe or spear.

Got a nice coat from it too 8)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: January 12, 2011, 01:32:58 pm »

I found this game a few days ago. Been playing the demo. I love it though, and going to buy it once I get some money (probably buy the 3 dollar version first, as its only one I can currently afford). Not many survival games out there, and this one is rather neat.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: January 12, 2011, 04:07:57 pm »

Question: what's the difference between the demo and the full game? Only the adittional "premium" starting options? or is there more?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: January 12, 2011, 04:10:01 pm »

In the demo, a character cannot live for more than 10 game days.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

laclongquan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: January 13, 2011, 04:05:28 am »

1. Cant live longer than 10 days.
2. Cant choose certain starting scenarios.
3. With that time limit, the only way you can harvest crops is to use that on villages's fields. What you plant dont even have the time to appear. Bigger games like elk give you a 20lbs skin will take too long to dehair/tan, 10+ days for certain. Ditto for smoke/dry meats.

All in all the 10 days limit is quite frustrating enough for you to buy the full version.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: January 13, 2011, 12:11:19 pm »

in the new version, 3 days are enough to tan even a bear hide.

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: January 15, 2011, 01:21:22 pm »

I wish the player could craft more items.  Not being able to even make cordage by hand is frustrating, because even I know how to do that and my Finnish forest commando can't.  So I spend a lot of time farking around in villages trading for pieces of cord and rope.
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: January 15, 2011, 02:06:29 pm »

I wish the player could craft more items.  Not being able to even make cordage by hand is frustrating, because even I know how to do that and my Finnish forest commando can't.  So I spend a lot of time farking around in villages trading for pieces of cord and rope.

You can make cord and leather rope yourself. Shift+M then go to the utility articles sub-menu, they're in there.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 101