Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299877 times)

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #720 on: January 04, 2011, 08:29:30 pm »

How do i train the Bow skill?

Can i just fire my bow alot at the ground?

or do i actually have to use it for hunting?

EDIT-

HOLY JESUS....

I FOUND AN ELK!

I chased it for most of the day firing arrows at it as it would wanter into the far edges of my view.... AND FINALLY GOT 2 hits to its thorax!

it fell down, and i continued shooting arrows at it till it was dead!

NOW WHAT DO I DO OMG.

So excited no more fishing.... its a small elk though..

edit #2-

Ok i skinned the elk, I got a 16 lb elk skin! now to ... figure out how to cut it up hmm

edit #3

I found the cut up menu where the sleep menu is. I now have 344 edible cuts of elk meat!...

how is this not gonna spoil while i try to get it back to camp?

Do i cook it in place? or what..
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 09:00:06 pm by Journier »
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: January 04, 2011, 09:16:32 pm »

If it's early spring, you can dry it, but you'll likely have to sacrifice your clothes for cord. If not, you can smoke it in the nearest village with cabins.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #722 on: January 04, 2011, 09:18:42 pm »

AND FINALLY GOT 2 hits to its thorax!
Thorax? That isn't an elk. That is some kind of horrible insect/elk abomination.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: January 04, 2011, 09:26:52 pm »

Thorax? That isn't an elk. That is some kind of horrible insect/elk abomination.

Not that kind of thorax. Insect thorax =/= thorax in everything else.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #724 on: January 04, 2011, 09:27:58 pm »

Not that kind of thorax. Insect thorax =/= thorax in everything else.
I was joking. I know it doesn't come across well online.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: January 04, 2011, 09:37:08 pm »

Definitely the cloak if you have all 17 pounds. Otherwise, shirt, then legs, then hood, then cap, then gloves then boots.

I find that a fur cap isn't really needed, the hood will keep you nice and warm, especially with a cloak on top of that and fur isn't great armor to begin with so you'd be better off trading/killing for a metal cowl/helmet of some kind.

How do i train the Bow skill?

Can i just fire my bow alot at the ground?

or do i actually have to use it for hunting?

EDIT-

HOLY JESUS....

I FOUND AN ELK!

I chased it for most of the day firing arrows at it as it would wanter into the far edges of my view.... AND FINALLY GOT 2 hits to its thorax!

it fell down, and i continued shooting arrows at it till it was dead!

NOW WHAT DO I DO OMG.

So excited no more fishing.... its a small elk though..

edit #2-

Ok i skinned the elk, I got a 16 lb elk skin! now to ... figure out how to cut it up hmm

edit #3

I found the cut up menu where the sleep menu is. I now have 344 edible cuts of elk meat!...

how is this not gonna spoil while i try to get it back to camp?

Do i cook it in place? or what..

I'd imagine shooting the bow at the ground would work, I've never actually tried, but the bow skill goes up incredibly slowly and you will likely end up breaking a lot of arrows.

As for the skin, you don't need to cure it first anymore, you can clean it and go straight to the tanning process, just don't leave it sitting around for too long (I'm talking days, not hours) or it'll spoil.

The meat will spoil within a few days, should be enough time to get back to camp. Don't roast it all, though, roasted meat won't even last a week outside of a cellar. Dry, smoke or salt whatever you won't be eating within that time.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: January 04, 2011, 09:59:39 pm »

The meat will spoil within a few days, should be enough time to get back to camp. Don't roast it all, though, roasted meat won't even last a week outside of a cellar. Dry, smoke or salt whatever you won't be eating within that time.
This is the most painful thing. Preserving meat is really quite hard, and I assume you can only get salt from trading. How is it that you rip apart your clothes to get cords, though?

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: January 04, 2011, 10:18:54 pm »

This is the most painful thing. Preserving meat is really quite hard, and I assume you can only get salt from trading. How is it that you rip apart your clothes to get cords, though?

Yeah, have to trade for salt.

To make cords, go to the make menu, choose utility articles then cords, then select how many you want (5 will take 2.5 lbs of cloth) then what you want to use to make them.

laclongquan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: January 04, 2011, 11:19:35 pm »

A cloak can make for incredibly amount of cords compared to the paltry amount of meat cuts needed to trade for it. Cloak is another game cheat that people not supposed to talk about.

Anyway, where are you. If you are within one day's walk toward your nearest Cellar, I advise to move all your meats back. Make a shelter to mark the place you leave your stuffs and carry back what you can , then return. If it's more than 1.5 days, it's best to just roast the meats and carry home or trade on the way.

If it's winter and If your cloak can provide enough cords (number needed = total meat cuts / 19 + 1), you could make dry meat next to your shelter.

The skin however is a pressing business. Move all your stuff toward the nearest water hole soonest: lake, swamps, rivers. Clean and Dehair it will buy you 2 weeks and after tanning is leather. Clean then Tan just give you fur.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: January 04, 2011, 11:38:22 pm »

ok i got a problem....

My character is very tired, and he needs to sleep soon, i am 3 zoomed out map tiles from some driik village, but my character is tired and refuses to carry much weight now.

hmmm

can i go to sleep and the meat wont spoil, someone up above said i have 2-3 days before it spoils?

also, i do not have a cellar yet... i never found a village with a shovel :(
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 11:44:55 pm by Journier »

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: January 05, 2011, 12:37:55 am »

How long it takes before spoiling depends a lot on what the weather is like. If its really cold, you have longer (Winter is awesome-time for hunting for this reason, plenty of time to carry food back)

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: January 05, 2011, 12:58:01 am »

honestly, i dont know how "cold" it is, i just know my character still gets bitterly cold and gets frostbite on his hands once in a while... so it has to be cold.... right? lol i dont know how to tell whats hot and whats cold in this game still. other than the little red and blue mark up upper left.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: January 05, 2011, 07:21:43 am »

also, i do not have a cellar yet... i never found a village with a shovel :(

I am led to believe you can create a wooden shovel in the new version ...

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #733 on: January 05, 2011, 07:26:04 am »

Yep, block of wood, axe, knife. It's much slower than a proper shovel, but it'll do in a pinch.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: January 10, 2011, 04:11:14 am »

honestly, i dont know how "cold" it is, i just know my character still gets bitterly cold and gets frostbite on his hands once in a while... so it has to be cold.... right? lol i dont know how to tell whats hot and whats cold in this game still. other than the little red and blue mark up upper left.

If you have a full set of fur clothing (and maybe some wool stuff to layer it with), you generally have little to worry about unless there's just a really short blue bar, which indicates that it's really damn cold. The thing works just like a thermometer, the lower the bar is the lower the temperature is and vice versa.

You can treat (alt+b) frostbite with fire.

Also, just built a long trap-fence (about 6 tiles long on the zoomed-out map) and I've been catching bear, elk and stag left and right. I have so many furs that I've just been making mountains of cords, I have a stack of about 200 right now, and that's after drying 1000+ lbs of meat. I even threw a lot of raw meat away as I'll never eat it all before it spoils.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 04:25:04 am by Jehdin »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 101