Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299822 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #600 on: December 30, 2010, 08:12:51 am »

As far as I can see, NPCs don't care if meat is spoiled, so I'll only use that for trade from now on.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: December 30, 2010, 11:47:05 am »

Fuck, my cave house is finally complete but I'm on my last pieces of meat and the elk I was chasing managed to excape when night came.

I gotta find some big game, soon, or get lucky with net fishing.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: December 30, 2010, 01:00:10 pm »

I've been having little success hunting. I get this bright idea of: If I killed a Njerpez village, why not just find a war camp to kill and eat its people? Worst idea ever. Five arrows making hard wounds = dead.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #603 on: December 30, 2010, 01:56:26 pm »

I think I found out why I'm having so much success hunting. Now that I realize it I remember it being around in older versions, but I thought it was changed.

Apparently when you run while attacking you can fire off more shots before the enemy reacts due to your higher mobility score. It's like some kind of personal bullet time. And I always run to chase down animals so I always have run toggled on when firing at them. I can fire off twice the amount of arrows before an animal gets away when running than when walking.

Trying to kill animals in walk mode is much more difficult, instead of getting a shot or two off for every square they move suddenly they're moving two steps between each shot and quickly getting off screen.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

laclongquan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: December 30, 2010, 02:12:08 pm »

IF you must, trade for a fishing rod, or net. Fishing in rapids tiles are better than normal water tiles. Dont use inferior stuffs because it just doesnt worth the time/effort.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: December 30, 2010, 02:20:28 pm »

Fishing rods generally get you a better chance at catching something, but often all you get is small fish. Fishing with weapons like a trident always gives you large fish, but at a lower success rate. I think its kinda even in the pounds of fish you get.

I fished for a day with a trident and got 3 6lb pikes, or 18lbs of fish. I fished for a day with a fishing rod and got a bunch of small fish like roaches and perches with a few trout and a salmon. All total it was about 16lbs of fish.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: December 30, 2010, 02:26:23 pm »

I finally managed to kill a stag with my short bow. Despite the stag being far from both the coast and nearby villages, I managed to cure the skin, roast the meat, build a cellar, build a raft, move the meat from the cellar to the raft and travel to a kuikka tribe village ( despite my raft stoping only half way from target: water was too deep for a shovel even on coast tiles). I finally managed to get many arrows and a northern bow and I got back home.

Then I climbed a tree and fell to my death.

But as we say in DF, Losing is Fun.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: December 30, 2010, 02:45:09 pm »

Haha, I didn't know you could fall to your death from climbing. I've never had that happen. Worst I've gotten from tree climbing was a fractured arm on a particularly bad fall.

I remember in older versions small animals would turn and fight when you got close to them, and you could lose consciousness from a particularly bad hit. I once lost a character from a squirrel biting his eye, making him go unconscious and bleed to death. I laughed so hard, because at the time I had been playing Baldur's Gate and Minsc's "go for the eyes Boo, go for the eyes!" instantly came to mind.

I've never bothered curing hides. I always just tan them. The curing takes ages, but in the new version you can tan even large hides with a day or two of work. I generally clean the hides and start them tanning, then deal with some of the meat, start the hide rinsing, then deal with more. Then I can finish the skin.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: December 30, 2010, 03:23:48 pm »

guys how do i make a fire last long?

im currently cutting branches and dont understand how it works for making a fire last more than an hour or 2.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: December 30, 2010, 03:54:46 pm »

guys how do i make a fire last long?

im currently cutting branches and dont understand how it works for making a fire last more than an hour or 2.

It would take a lot of branches, you can burn tree trunks instead, those will last 8+ hours, if I recall correctly. You can also chop trunks into firewood.

It's also worth noting that you don't have to keep a fire going for the whole time you're cooking, nor do you have to keep it going in a fireplace to get warmth from it. Warmth from a burned-out fireplace can last a good while, don't think warmth from campfires last very long after it burns out, though.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 03:58:27 pm by Jehdin »

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: December 30, 2010, 04:10:39 pm »

im having a hilarious fun time trying to get these damn driik tribesmen to trade me an axe, so i can chop wood :/ Wouldnt an axe be super important in the iron age cmon.

also, im looking at crafting one but it takes rope... which i dont know how to make damn.

hmmm
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 04:24:12 pm by Journier »

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: December 30, 2010, 04:18:00 pm »

im having a hilarious fun time trying to get these damn driik tribesmen to trade me an axe, so i can chop wood :/ Wouldnt an axe be super important in the iron age cmon.

also, im looking at crafting one but it takes rope... which i dont know how to make damn.

hmmm

You can make cord (which works as tying equipment) from any non-metal clothing item and any tanned hide.

1freeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: December 30, 2010, 05:26:55 pm »

I am thinking about buying this game, but I am concerned about purchasing it because i have not heard of the company. can anyone say whether or not it is a safe/secure service.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: December 30, 2010, 05:42:45 pm »

I am thinking about buying this game, but I am concerned about purchasing it because i have not heard of the company. can anyone say whether or not it is a safe/secure service.

You can buy through paypal directly, but it might take longer to get the registration files since it's handled by the developer manually.

I bought it a couple times now through Share It, no problems.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 06:07:48 pm by Jehdin »

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: December 30, 2010, 09:11:56 pm »

so Thanks for the rope from clothes idea, i apparently tore  a little piece off my pants and tied it to a rock and a piece of stone got an axe!

now i constantly have a roasting fire right next to me, that seems to burn for like 24 hours i swear!, setting a huge log on fire burns forever!

now to begin to understand hunting more.

Also spear fishing SUCKS. i sat there and spear fished for i think 12 hours one day and caught nothing lol.

does spear fishing take into account your spear skill and your fishing skill? or just fishing skill?

Thank god if you do the tutorial unreal world choice, it gives you a fishing pole. since i still cant find big game, and nothing i make is worth anything seemingly to these damn villagers :(

another question though...

how fast do skills increase percent? i fish every day atliest 3x for food just about, how fast will my fishing skill increase?

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 101