Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299806 times)

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #585 on: December 29, 2010, 09:42:47 pm »

I just fell an Elk.  It produced 450 pounds of meat.  I am LITERALLY stuck out in the middle of nowhere trying to cook almost 4 times my weight in meat, even though I know it'll all go to waste anyway because I have no way to store it and I could probably buy out several Driik villages if I could manage to haul it to them.

Is my luck insane, or do Elk normally give this amount of meat?

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: December 29, 2010, 09:45:32 pm »

so i messed up and went to make 10 staffs, and apparently that really takes a fucking long time.

and i ran out of water in the mean time, and then my character was exhausted, so first i found some water, in the village i was at in a little puddle, in front of a building with 2 people, then i couldnt move since i was exhausted...

then i went to sleep but apparently i cant sleep for more than a minute because "there a whispering voices nearby"

THEN MOVE MOTHERFUCKER WHAT THE HELL.

just ended my first playthrough :( i wanted to start trading spears to my friendly villagers, but instead they wont let me sleep and i cant move to get away from them because im tired lol/
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: December 29, 2010, 10:02:02 pm »

I just fell an Elk.  It produced 450 pounds of meat.  I am LITERALLY stuck out in the middle of nowhere trying to cook almost 4 times my weight in meat, even though I know it'll all go to waste anyway because I have no way to store it and I could probably buy out several Driik villages if I could manage to haul it to them.

I got a stag in my trap fence that gave me 650... I had to throw over half of it out.

so i messed up and went to make 10 staffs, and apparently that really takes a fucking long time.

and i ran out of water in the mean time, and then my character was exhausted, so first i found some water, in the village i was at in a little puddle, in front of a building with 2 people, then i couldnt move since i was exhausted...

then i went to sleep but apparently i cant sleep for more than a minute because "there a whispering voices nearby"

THEN MOVE MOTHERFUCKER WHAT THE HELL.

just ended my first playthrough :( i wanted to start trading spears to my friendly villagers, but instead they wont let me sleep and i cant move to get away from them because im tired lol/

I was in that situation once, I had to drop a lot of weight and wait a few turns, then I was able to move into a house and go to sleep.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: December 29, 2010, 10:02:22 pm »

It's normal for big game to give hundreds of pounds of meat.

What I do in those cases is build a shelter (or small lever trap if the materials are there) to mark the spot, and try to get as much meat as I can (roasted is even better), dropping my heaviest equipment/non spoilables. I drag it to the nearest village where I trade it for everything I can.

If you actually want to save that meat, make as many cords as possible, and drag it to your house for smoking (or drying if winter). Use your own clothes if you have to (and if you plan to replace them with the recently skinned fur - using the animal's skin itself will take too long and the meat will spoil). While you're preparing the food you may want to cure that skin.

Smoked food stays ok for months and months in a storage thingy. Dried food can last over a year that way.

After that, come back for your stuff. Remember to smoke/dry 19 items each time, which will consume only 1 cord. Unless you're cheating with bandages or something, in which case just make all you can at once.

If you're really getting too much meat to care, just burn what you can't carry so you can cook some. It's almost as good as a log.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: December 29, 2010, 10:22:02 pm »

I ended up selling most of it for some splitting/carving axes (I couldn't think of anything else) and am using the rest of it as a stockpile while I'm building a house.  DAMN that takes a lot of trees.  I feel like I'm going to clear a damn forest just to make one little hut.

EDIT: And now my meat pile has rotted (so quickly) and I'm out of food AND starving now.  Looks like it's time to go hunt again.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 10:31:09 pm by Trorbes »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: December 29, 2010, 10:40:33 pm »

Before building the house, build the cellar. And at least roast the food, it'll last a bit longer (like a couple extra days or something), with the cellar maybe up to 3 or 4 or so days.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: December 29, 2010, 10:53:32 pm »

Cellars make it last twice as much me thinks.

My cave is almost completely floored now, soon it will be time to hunt again and stock up on smoked food for the incoming winter, I'll also trade with the Driik nearby for some armor and weapons so I can search for the njerpez during winter. I also need some extra warm clothing.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: December 29, 2010, 10:56:55 pm »

Before building the house, build the cellar. And at least roast the food, it'll last a bit longer (like a couple extra days or something), with the cellar maybe up to 3 or 4 or so days.

I'd say roasted meat in a cellar lasts a week or more.  Well worth a few hour's time to make the cellar and cook plenty of meat.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: December 30, 2010, 01:18:57 am »

ok guys on playthrough #2

what the hell is with hunting? all i can find is squirrels , foxes and birds :/

not cool. since it takes multiple attacks to finally kill those squirrelly bastards, like i chase a squirrel forever and i cant even feed myself to satiation.

also i was lied to about the value of spears to tribes :( the unreal tutorial on the wiki must be old.

and then when i give them spears they dont want them anymore :(
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 01:42:17 am by Journier »

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 30, 2010, 01:48:27 am »

ok guys on playthrough #2

what the hell is with hunting? all i can find is squirrels , foxes and birds :/

not cool. since it takes multiple attacks to finally kill those squirrelly bastards, like i chase a squirrel forever and i cant even feed myself to satiation.

also i was lied to about the value of spears to tribes :( the unreal tutorial on the wiki must be old.

and then when i give them spears they dont want them anymore :(

The wiki has been outdated for a while now.

As for hunting, you're climbing trees on the zoomed-out map and looking around, right? Should be able to find something this way.

Edit: If you have a ritual for a successful hunt or something of the sort then use it if you still have trouble.

Also, Using 2+ nets should net you enough fish to live off of. If you can't find any to buy, you can mod in a way to make nets. Check out the modding guide on the URW forum, I think someone posted code for it there.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 01:55:00 am by Jehdin »

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: December 30, 2010, 02:24:34 am »

oh cool you can mod in stuff ? did not know this.

I got bored of fishing after a while honestly, i sat there and fished and fished, and then half the time my fish spoiled if my fire went out before it was done? or something like that confusing, 30 minutes after i fish it out and start roasting it, it gets spoiled.

so figured id go hunt, but jesus hunting is even more of a chore.

Yes i was zoomed out and climbing tree's to track animals down, killed a bird ate all 2 lb's of it and barely half refilled my food bar.

fishing is definately the easier thing to do apparently.

Also im currently playing the 10 day demo thing currently... but i looked at their pricing plans, and its cheaper to pay with euro's than dollars by a bit... lol sorta funny. they never updated the pricing plan for the crash of the Euro value.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 02:42:54 am by Journier »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #596 on: December 30, 2010, 03:10:09 am »

When cooking, you have a window to pick up the cooking food before it burns and becomes "spoiled." It will give you messages saying it smells like its ready and such, or you can try picking it up and it will tell you when it will be ready. Will say several hours, an hour, half an hour, or shortly. If you leave it for a while longer than that it spoils, I think the window is around an hour? I never actually spoil my food unless I fall asleep or something before being able to pick it up. I assume you were fishing while waiting for it to cook? The several hours that fishing takes would be plenty enough to burn all your food up.

Birds, squirrels, weasels, snakes, ermines, foxes, and hares all give very little food. They're enough for a snack, but definitely not a major food source unless you bag a bunch of them. You can survive on them, but not without spending a lot of time chasing them down. Animals like beavers and lynxes give a bit more. If you want a bunch of food you'll need to take down a larger animal, like a reindeer, elk, bear, or stag.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

laclongquan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: December 30, 2010, 04:14:03 am »

Thing is, the game has a factor of random luck. Some got really good starting spot (big game, 1st level slaver...), some got a good combination of tribe/stat/equipment. So dont be surprised. Your next character might well got too many bad luck to survive.

Roasting will keep the meat a few days more, enough for you to lugging them all to the nearest village. Cellar will double the time (I think). And Cellar will cost 8-10 hours to make, including gathering raw materials.

As to the smell/see/taste, if your stat in those three aspects good you will have more gameclues. See and Hear help in hunting/exploring. Taste and smell help in cooking. And try to predicting weather while cooking, because the length of time is just right. Dont fish, dont make item, dont do anything else.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: December 30, 2010, 07:01:54 am »

I bought a longbow, 30 arrows and a fishing rod for a bunch of spoiled cuts :D
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 30, 2010, 07:47:45 am »

I bought a longbow, 30 arrows and a fishing rod for a bunch of spoiled cuts :D

FUUUU

i bring them 5 spears  and they give me a 2 pieces of bear meat that lasted me like 2 days.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 101