Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299789 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #570 on: December 28, 2010, 01:26:47 pm »

I just tested on a new char to see out of curiosity. Apparently northern bows are worth 10 bowls that my char with 12% carpentry made, im not sure how much the value of bowls varies depending on skill of the one who made them. I could also just trade my linen trousers for it.

Then one bowl or something of similar low value for a stack of 20 arrows (npcs place WAY too low value on arrows).

Also, I suggest going to the seal tribe. So far 5 out of 6 villages of theirs I have visited has had at least one character with a northern bow - a hunter, woodsman, or adventurer. One of them had 3 and another 2. When I tried the Kuikka tribe all they had was like juniper bows and shortbows and stuff. I haven't tried visiting the owl tribe yet.

-edit- On my new char I traded 11 bowls for a bow and 20 arrows then went right out of the village, climb a tree, and spotted a bear. I killed it with 9 shots of the bow. I built a fireplace in one of the little sheds in the seal tribe village (they didn't seem to mind) and started smoking the meat, so he'll have a good food source with which to travel south with in two weeks (or whereever I want to go to start building my cabin, but the Driik villages are a good place to buy the necessary tools and a handy punt). And hes got enough bear fur to make a suit of nice warm clothes. Starting in the summer in the north seems to be a pretty viable strategy 8)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 01:41:39 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: December 28, 2010, 03:36:00 pm »

I found a nice cave near a driik village and settled in. Just flooring the inside now, which will take a while, but I already have a fireplace going and some meat getting smoked which will be stored in the cellar. Its summer still so still pretty early to stock up on food for winter. Once I get my cave house done I'll trade with the driik for more things and try to get myself a northen bow, then I'll just scount around for njerpez camps and start to stock up on firewood and meat when autumn comes.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: December 28, 2010, 04:07:34 pm »

Third Njerpez village has been conquered. This one has more buildings than the other two, and they are all closer in, so I put fences between the buildings to make a solid compound. This will be my base of operations for eradicating the cultural group.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #573 on: December 28, 2010, 05:01:23 pm »

Is it impossible to drown? Just as a test I swam out into the water and did nothing but swim around. I died of dehydration before drowning and slept for three days in the water prior to that.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #574 on: December 28, 2010, 05:02:24 pm »

With 0 swimming skill (to start with at least) and I'd guess low endurance/strength, it's possible but slow.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #575 on: December 28, 2010, 05:19:25 pm »

I'm just getting back into this after a break. How do I use an item on the ground when making something?

I have 10 slender tree trunks on the ground and I am trying to make Staff (under lumber). It says I need 10 slender tree trunks, but when I go to make them it wants me to select them from my inventory. I can't carry that much...

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: December 28, 2010, 05:33:29 pm »

Dont pick up 10 aat once, pick up in parts.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #577 on: December 28, 2010, 05:44:12 pm »

Dont pick up 10 aat once, pick up in parts.
I'm not sure I'm clear. So I have to pick them up one at a time and try to make the staff?

I see what was happening. I was hitting enter when it was asking me the quantity, so it defaulted to 10. Nevermind.

laclongquan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: December 28, 2010, 10:16:59 pm »

Dont forget you can build door directly on the High Cliff big rock of a cave. open 3-4 doors for easy access then do the ceiling. Caves save immensely on the number of tree trunks you fell.

Of course, if you build on river banks there's advantage is that you can transport by punt/raft. Fell a bunch of trees on riverside, move them to bank, transport them on water, move to your site. Since you enter your settlement site on fixed position depend on where you come, you can easily move all material to one spot and start building near there. It's extremely convenient.

It's a trade-off between the high number of tree trunks you fell versus a readymade wall of a cave.

Of course, a cave with a river/rapid/lake on its right side (eastern edge) is godsend. But such a thing is rarer than a fully-kit slaver.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: December 28, 2010, 10:33:35 pm »

I have something pretty close to that, there's a driik vilage just a few squares away and a rapid water river like, 7 squares to the north.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: December 29, 2010, 08:45:10 am »

I tried tanning, got to last stage and then read I need a bench. I proceeded to build a cabin so I can build a bench, all my skins rotted in the meantime, and then when I built a bench and started tanning I noticed it says I can also use a log. Remember, kids, it pays to read.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: December 29, 2010, 08:48:49 am »

I tried tanning, got to last stage and then read I need a bench. I proceeded to build a cabin so I can build a bench, all my skins rotted in the meantime, and then when I built a bench and started tanning I noticed it says I can also use a log. Remember, kids, it pays to read.
Ah ha, I managed to avoid that.

There's a new bugfix out, but you'll need to re-download the whole thing to get it - not that URW is that big anyway. I can finally bring in my characters from the previous version in. It also fixes a bunch of the newly reported bugs so pick it up ASAP.

- fixed: shelter/camp icons appearing all over the wilderness map
- fixed: animal hide as a required raw material not being correctly
recognized for example when crafting skis
- fixed: the crashing bug - which was especially frequent upon
zooming in
- fixed: item corruption in several crafting related occasions
- fixed: occasional graphical glitches in crafting menus
- fixed: foreign traders acting hostile if met on the Njerpez territory
- modified: spoilage times of fresh skins have beens increased to prevent
the occasional "rotting before tanning" bug
- added: modding possibility to add sub-menus to Make and Cookery menus
(see menudef_additional.txt in your UrW-installation directory
to get started)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #582 on: December 29, 2010, 05:43:24 pm »

In honor of the new version (and because my char was all buggy due to crashes doing strange things to him) I made a new character.

Funny thing happened. I started in the north near the seal tribe so I can buy a northern bow. Soon as I get in the game I climb a tree and immediately spot reindeer. It started me with a juniper bow and 6 arrows, so I go after them. I zoom into them and see two reindeer. I target the closest one, thinking I'd have a better chance of killing it before it got away. Aim for the head, hit the eye. Dead. So I figure what the hell, I'll see if I can bag the other one too. Aim for the head, hit the eye. Dead.

I skin them and clean them and head west toward Seal Tribe territory to find a village. Not ten steps and I'm facing a njerpezit warrior. He's standing there three tiles away with a broadsword, and all I have is a juniper bow, 5 arrows (one broke in the reindeer eye), and a small knife. I drop the meat and skins to lose the weight penalty and fire a shot off. Aim for the head, hit the eye. Dead.

Apparently I've created some kind of sharpshooter character. All three shots I've fired so far have been deadly hits to the eye, and all with a crappy juniper bow.

So here I am on a brand new character with 16lbs of fur, 320lbs of meat, and a bunch of valuable stuff from the njerpez (including enough cloth to make cord and dry all my meat).
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: December 29, 2010, 06:33:47 pm »

I started near the south islands, and that may be the reason I hardly find any game.

The north is full of big game. I mean whoa.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: December 29, 2010, 08:25:23 pm »

Thats not entirely true. The souhtlands have some decent game aswell, I've seen plenty of reindeer and some stags here and there.

The north does seem to have more big game though, all the bear I've seen were in the north.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 101