Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299793 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #555 on: December 27, 2010, 09:45:42 pm »

From experience, I'm assuming zoomed out (that's how I tend to hunt)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: December 27, 2010, 10:14:31 pm »

I made a Request to Catch a Fox, and got an instantaneous encounter with an elk or stag or whatever.

Weird.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: December 27, 2010, 10:32:18 pm »

Why so? You can get branches from pine, which is pretty common.

"sprice twigs" can be used as branches when making trap pits, but not to make arrows, for those you specifically need branches, which can only be found on the floor. not a big problem, though, as a dozen arrows are good enough for several hunts

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: December 28, 2010, 12:52:30 am »

"sprice twigs" can be used as branches when making trap pits, but not to make arrows, for those you specifically need branches, which can only be found on the floor. not a big problem, though, as a dozen arrows are good enough for several hunts

Pines give branches. Spruces give spruce twigs.

I'm sure other trees also give branches.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: December 28, 2010, 01:21:31 am »

I'm going to buy the lifetime version of this game at some point. I bought the cheapest deal for the current version a while ago and had a lot of fun with it. I highly recommend it. It's truly the best reality based dark age survival game I've ever played. It also suggested things that would aid survival in an extended stay living in the wild, should I ever be forced to live in a continental forest somehow. I'd never even heard of trap fences until I played UW and yet the sheer genius simplicity of it amazes me because of the fact that I know it would work even today if I wanted a few hundred pounds of free meat and didn't spend an hour or two per day playing video games and living the average modern life.

EDIT: Before I encourage someone to dig some holes and build a fence, remember to put up warning signs on the fence (unless the local deer can read)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 01:25:33 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: December 28, 2010, 01:51:55 am »

Pretty much all non-spruce trees give branches, with the same command used to get the spruce twigs.

In prevous versions, tacking on the zoomed out screen was useful.  But not now, unless your character has mad skill.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: December 28, 2010, 01:54:07 am »

Erm, is there any way to destroy walls you've built.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: December 28, 2010, 02:57:34 am »

M -> Buildings -> Deconstruct(c, I think)
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: December 28, 2010, 04:09:48 am »

does that imply that you can climb trees while zoomed out? If so, that changed everything.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: December 28, 2010, 04:44:23 am »

does that imply that you can climb trees while zoomed out? If so, that changed everything.

Yes, I have tried this.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: December 28, 2010, 07:54:44 am »

Pretty much all non-spruce trees give branches, with the same command used to get the spruce twigs.

In prevous versions, tacking on the zoomed out screen was useful.  But not now, unless your character has mad skill.

i thought i could only remove branches from spruces :\
that changes everything, no more picking up every branch i find midhunting!

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: December 28, 2010, 08:05:35 am »

It'd be nice if this had more efficient controls, after playing a bit too long I feel like I've got RSI or something. Something like instead of having to press Alt+O to climb, just pressing O seeing as it isn't binded to anything anyway. And being able to click where you want to go.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: December 28, 2010, 09:32:51 am »

I think there may be someway to change the key bindings.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #568 on: December 28, 2010, 11:27:26 am »

Yes, I meant climbing trees while zoomed out. It allows you to see far into the distance and quickly scout a large area for big game. By running a ways and climbing and repeating that for most of a day on the zoom out map I've always managed to find big game.

If you've been wandering around in the zoomed in map climbing trees, now wonder you haven't managed to find anything. I guess I should have made myself plainer, I thought it was common knowledge that you could climb on the zoomed out map. Thats how I've always hunted and scouted for villages and such - if I want to get a view of my surroundings on the map I climb a tree. Climbing on the zoomed in map is mostly pointless due to your short field of vision (it'd be nice if he gave you a larger field of view while climbing zoomed in though).
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: December 28, 2010, 12:25:24 pm »

Now, I manage to find more prey too. Unluckily, I haven't managed to actually kill anything, But hunting is much easier.

I found a stag, but it kept walking in circles, so I never managed to find it in the zoomed in map... tracks were too mixed.
then an herd of reindeers. I shot all 4 my arrows, hitting a couple of them, but I spent the whole day trying to get close enough to one, and failed. eventually, I lost them all.

Then, since it was already winter I started getting frostbite, so I grabber a sword from a village and tried to kill the villagers to steal food. but was too weak and died. Now lets try again, with all this new knowledge! How many bowls do I have to make to buy a good bow in the north?
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 101