Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299783 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #540 on: December 27, 2010, 08:12:22 am »

for me it spoils after a day outside... actually, it disappeared... twice, i was makin cords to go hang it in a sauna and  it disappeared, both times i hunted a stag.

of course i a few days later everything disappeared from my camp, so my experience may vary a little from the norm...

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #541 on: December 27, 2010, 02:03:28 pm »

I never bother making bowls for trade goods. After you have a bow and some arrows you can kill large game, you just have to find them. I roam the woods climbing trees until I see something. Seems like large animals are everywhere, you just have to look around a bit. Every time I've tried I've managed to find something big - reindeer, elk, stag, bear. Be well rested before you start so you don't get sleepy, and try to start early in the morning so you have all day. Travel as light as possible - if its not cold consider leaving your clothing behind if you've had trouble hunting before. Every pound counts - get the carrying penalty as low as possible. Just take a bow, a dozen or so arrows, and a 1 pound knife (small knife or regular knife).

The large animals leave tracks, and if you run (shift R) while following them you can usually catch up to them long enough to get a few arrows off. All it takes is one good hit to down them, although it might take quite a few if you're not getting decisive hits. All you need is one good kill and you can trade for quite a bit of stuff. Just the meat alone allows you to quickly trade for a few things, then once you have the hide tanned you can make fur clothing which trades for even more. A single reindeer gives you at least 8 pounds of fur, which can make a few good pieces of fur clothing. I was able to make 3 fur footwears with a reindeer I killed (2.8 lbs each), and the footwear seem to trade for quite a bit.

If you start in the north you can even trade some of your starting clothes for a northern bow and bunch of arrows. They are very powerful bows and make hunting large game much easier. I dropped a reindeer in one shot to the head, it hit the neck and knocked the animal unconscious. The shops of the south are nice, but I find the ability to trade for northern bows and arrows from the adventurers of the north to be a good enough reason to start there, or at least make the trip there eventually. I visited Seal Tribe territory, and it seems like everywhere you look up there you can find an adventurer or hunter carrying a bow (either longbow or northern bow) and a few dozen arrows, both of which he is happy to trade away. Upgrading from a short bow to a northern bow is a huge difference - the range is better so you'll score more hits, and each hit counts for a lot more. My character only has 59% bow skill, yet he can drop large animals with ease due to the good bow. The only thing I'd really find lacking by starting up north would be a punt, since you can't buy one there - but it's probably easier to travel south for a punt once you have a good food supply than travel north for a bow after you have a punt.

It actually seems a bit too easy to get food once you have a good bow and can easily hunt large animals. I just went out in the early morning climbing trees looking for an animal, spotted a big stag, tracked it down and killed it (took 7 shots, although I had to run it about 5 load screens to get them off since it was actively avoiding me in a thick forest), cut it up and got over 500 pounds of meat - as well as a fur weighing 19. It's currently late october, and I dried 500lbs of the meat and roasted the rest. That one kill will probably feed me through the winter without even having to go out and hunt more. On the way back I even saw an elk, but didn't bother going after it since I already had the stag.

Another tip: When running down an animal you're tracking, keep your fatigue bar low. Each time you spot it and get a shot off and it steps out of sight try stepping a few more times while running to see if you can get another shot off, but if it got away its best to use hide and just sneak along a bit until your fatigue bar is empty. Then run after it again until you get another shot at it or your fatigue bar is going up (I try to keep mine below 5).

Those short sprints between your being hidden and the fatigue bar being 0 and your fatigue going up is usually where I get the windows to fire an arrow. I think what happens is when your hidden you can get a little bit closer than just running behind it, and then when you start running after it at full speed with 0 penalty you can close in before it dashes off. Occasionally you can get close enough just by walking while hiding, but watch for a message saying something is escaping (it saw you) - if you see that try running to see if you can get a clear shot before its gone again.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 04:02:27 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: December 27, 2010, 04:23:38 pm »

Just slayed a 7 man Njerpez village in close combat. That was crazy intense. I got three kills instantly by edging their heads with my sword.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: December 27, 2010, 05:02:17 pm »

Well fucking making cabins, making a decently sized one takes too much effort, I'm making a new character and searching for a cave now :P
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: December 27, 2010, 06:03:56 pm »

Making a cabin is easy if you have food saved up to do it without stopping. I had a few hundred pounds of dried meat saved up before I built mine. I just went around the island that im on and started cutting trees here and there to thin them out. Once I had cut enough for my house I went back and started cutting them into logs and then drug them to the bank and back to my site via punt. It's only 6 logs per wall, a 5x5 cabin with a 3x3 area inside is only 90 logs. Then a few more for the boards needed for shutters, the door, and furniture. You could easily do 5 or 6 a day if you're and gather all the materials in 2-3 weeks of game time. Then probably a week and a half or two weeks for all the building work. You can finish a good sized cabin in the game in a month to a month and a half game time. Probably a few hours of real time gaming (ingame time passes fast when most of the jobs you assign are taking hours at a time).

Or you could do a smaller cabin in even less time. A 2x2 is actually liveable (bed, fireplace, table, and either an empty square by the door or a bench) and would only take 66 logs.

It's important you get the right tools though. You need a woodsman axe to quickly cut the trees, a broad axe to make them into logs and assist in building, and a carving axe to go with the broad axe when building the walls. Trying to cut all the trees for it with a handaxe or something isn't going to work.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 27, 2010, 06:16:23 pm »

Paul, while I am sure that your plans work well for you, I find it hard to apply them to my game.
for example, I haven't found one big animal yet.
But that may be because I lived in the southern spruce forests. Now I am migrating north and I'll try to see if it goes better. If I manage to hunt something, I'll stay north. otherwise, I'll go back to my cabin project in the south, and live through the winter by fishing.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 27, 2010, 07:10:17 pm »

I'm in the south too (I went north for the northern bow and came back on this char), just a bit northeast of the Driik villages on a river.

Every time I've went hunting I've found at least one large animal. I just run a ways, climb a tree, run a ways more, climb a tree. I eventually see a large animal. I just ignore the small ones when im after a big one. I have yet to be unable to at least find a large animal in a day. It sometimes takes most of the day to find, but I've always found one.

I just found an elk wandering in a spruce mire just now. It took the better part of the day to find it, and the sun was just going down so I was kinda lucky being able to kill it quick before it got too dark (it dropped to the ground on the second arrow), and it was dark before I got back home (I wandered quite a ways before finding it), but I still came back with 388 cuts of meat in a one day hunting trip.

Maybe you're really unlucky :P

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 27, 2010, 07:17:21 pm »

or maybe you are really lucky.

or we are in different seasons.
I am in october. you?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 27, 2010, 07:22:05 pm »

The latest Elk kill was October 26th. I've been seeing large animals since Spring though, and have seen them just about everywhere. Down south its been stags and elks and reindeer, up north I found a lot of bears and even more reindeer.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 27, 2010, 07:42:38 pm »

I'll just try harder then.
Mostly, my hunting has been track, track, track. ( and find nothing at all). I haven't tried day long hunting yet ( I did half a day, but I got nothing from it).
I am waiting until I arrive in the north to try again.

By the way, you earlier suggested making arrows, but what is the best way to get enough cord? the only cloth that I can easily replace later in the game is my fur shirt, and there isn't much left of it.
Is theft worth the trouble, should I try to get a pig from a village?
what do you think are my chances to get away alive?

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: December 27, 2010, 08:38:31 pm »

In my experience making arrows yourself isn't worth it, it takes too much of your time. Just try and trade with hunters or woodsmen in villages. A single bowl netted me 17 arrows.
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: December 27, 2010, 09:05:35 pm »

well, i make my arrows out of bandages made out of bandages made out of bandages made out of bandages... it's an exploit, but it's kinda fair, cuz its pretty time consuming. i have a little trouble finding branches, though.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 27, 2010, 09:31:32 pm »

Why so? You can get branches from pine, which is pretty common.

Anyway, I'm making a new character, and I'm going to make him live near the Driik so I have some decent settlements to pillagetrade with.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: December 27, 2010, 09:39:44 pm »

Mostly, my hunting has been track, track, track. ( and find nothing at all). I haven't tried day long hunting yet ( I did half a day, but I got nothing from it).

Notice how different this is from paul's strategy.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: December 27, 2010, 09:44:34 pm »

Do paul do his hunting zommed in or climbing up trees zoomed out?
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 101