Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299685 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #480 on: December 24, 2010, 12:45:57 pm »

You can also bait them to attract carnivores. A pit trap with meat might get you a wolf, lynx, bear, etc. In one of the older versions I had pit traps in a spot that was apparently some kind of bear hunting ground. All through the spring and summer I was getting bears in the pits, one every few weeks. I had loads of bear fur and more meat than I knew what to do with. In the winter those traps never caught a thing though, I guess bears were the only thing local attracted to the meat in them and they were hibernating.

I'm fond of setting loop snares. They never get you large animals, but you'll get a variety of small - foxes, hares, grouse, the occasional squirrel. Enough fresh meat to make soups and such without getting a big excess that you have to preserve or trade away.

A bit of an AAR of my recent game (the deaf super character):
I started out near the Reemi villages, since I figured starting near the home culture would make sense. Just the basic Unreal World scenario, and it gave me very basic equipment - a knife, a piece of rye bread and a smoked cut of elk meat, and pretty much bare minimum clothes (linen shirt, linen trousers, leather shoes). I headed toward where I thought a village might be, and the first few steps I ran into a badger.

I didn't have anything but the knife, so I grabbed a rock that was laying there and threw it at the badger's head. As luck would have it, I scored a good hit - and apparently knocked the thing unconscious. A few quick strikes with the knife finished it off, and I found myself with a badger skin and 7 pounds of meat. I grab a dozen rocks to use as missiles just in case I find something else.

I continue looking for the village, climbing trees to see if I can spot it. Along the way I spot several squirrels, and knock each of them off their trees with a hail of rocks. By the time I make it to the Reemi village I have four squirrels and the badger. The first thing I spot in the village is a small archery store, and I gleefully run inside - only to be disappointed to find that this archery store has nothing but arrows, nary a bow in sight. It's the only store in this small village, so I head back out and find a water source on the edge of town. I spend the rest of the day tanning the hides I collected and roasting the meat.

The next morning I make a club and finish tanning the hides by beating them soft on one of the village's tables. I then make myself a primitive bow, using the badger fur for cord, and trade the remaining bits and the squirrel furs for a dozen arrows - and off I go toward the Driik lands to find some more shops.

It's a long way across, and I eat up all my food travelling. I manage to get a few small animals - hares, squirrels, etc - as I go to keep myself fed, and it was otherwise an uneventful trip. I climb a tree and finally come in sight of a Driik village, and I also see reindeer in the distance! I quickly ready my bow and head off after the reindeer.

Approaching the reindeer, I see three of them: a large one, an average one, and a small one. The average one is the closest to me, so I sneak a bit closer to it and start rapidly firing my little bow at it. The first shot gets it in the head, three more in the legs to keep it from running, and two in the body to finish it off. Four shots missed. I collect my arrows and prepare to skin the kill when I notice the tracks of the other reindeer. Should I be greedy? A village nearby full of traders, I might as well make the most of my luck. I note the location of my first kill and head off after the other animals, following their tracks a good ways through the forest. I finally come upon them, both the small and the large one walking through the trees. I take aim at the large one, firing off 11 of my arrows. The first hits it in the head, followed by four to the legs and one to the body and five misses. It escapes, grievously wounded. I collect the five arrows on the ground and sprint after it. This time it keeps going for a long ways, and I nearly lost it once when it doubled back and went off the side - but carefully examining the tracks got me back on the trail. It wound up heading back to near where I got the first kill, and it was just north of there that I finally caught up with it - standing near a tree. I hid for a moment and caught my breath, then snuck a bit closer and fired again. It took another two arrows to finish it off, but it finally went down.

I collected my arrows again, two of which apparently broke or fell somewhere, and cleaned the animal. I managed to find my first kill easily enough - I just crossed the original tracks and followed them backwards. Together the two reindeer netted me just over 300 pounds of meat and 17 pounds of fur. I head into the village, and find a rather large walled off town with half a dozen shops - a granary, weapon shop, two good stores, a fishing store, and a tool store.

I trade half of the fresh reindeer meat away for a variety of supplies, then I spend the rest of that day and half the next tanning my various hides and trade the smaller ones away too, keeping the reindeer. All in all I manage to get a pot, woodsman's axe, shovel, punt, paddle, fishing rod, net, a bag of rye grain, a bag of barley grain, and a few loaves of rye bread. I use the reindeer fur to make myself a suit of fur - shoes, pants, shirt, hood, mittens. I cut up the rest of the reindeer fur and my old linen clothes for cord and hang the rest of the meat up to dry for later, planning to come back to collect it next month. I spend the rest of the day making extra arrows using the remaining cord.

A decent start, I think. I'm already set up with a good set of reindeer fur, have a variety of basic tools, and a hundred and fifty meat drying which I intend to collect next month and use for food when I build my house. Until then I'm eyeing a few things in the Driik shops - a battleaxe and a long mail hauberk. They are expensive - the hauberk especially - so I'll need to scrape together quite a bit to purchase them, but they sure would come in handy if I need to fight off Njerpez raiders. That'll be my next goal, collect enough to trade my way up to the hauberk. I sleep until morning, hang the equipment I bought up on a rock, and head out with my bow for more hunting - I have furs to collect.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 24, 2010, 12:58:58 pm »

Nice. I always forget to use stones and end up throwing all my weapons and missing for a squirrel or something :P.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 24, 2010, 01:17:30 pm »

I just got my own bit of a super character. Good stats, not exceptional, fear of felines, blah blah blah blah. Starts with 60% skill in swords, timbercraft, tracking, trapping, bows, and survival. I put my points into the first five, and ignore survival. My starting items? Shortsword, juniper bow, 17 arrows. The world had best prepare. 
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

laclongquan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 24, 2010, 01:49:30 pm »

Hell yeah! Here come sonerohi, scourge of Finnland.

What a strange starting item package you got. interesting~

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 24, 2010, 01:58:58 pm »

I've consistently been getting unusual weaponry when starting as Driik. The bow is from my dead father, from Unfortunate Trip.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 24, 2010, 02:02:01 pm »

Starting equipment seems to vary quite a bit even in the same start. I guess it might depend on tribe? I never really checked.

My character apparently started the game by taking a casual stroll through the woods with his trusty knife and a packed lunch :D
His entire inventory was just the linen shirt, linen trousers, leather shoes, rye bread, 1 cut of smoked meat, and a broad knife.

Back when the map was much smaller and you could migrate to new maps I used to drop everything and go to a new map with nothing but a small knife in the beginning of winter to see if I could survive :D. I remember grabbing rocks and chasing a reindeer for its fur. Kinda funny to imagine a freezing naked guy running through the woods after a reindeer with nothing but a small knife and some rocks trying to get some fur for clothes.

Haha, I've been playing with the modding. I have a strange feeling the nutrition system isn't working quite yet :D

I added this to my recipes:
.Water.       *COOKERY* /30/  \45\   %20%   :148: 
{Water}      #6#   [remove] [boil]

Then I took a pot of water, boiled it, and created a "Delicious pot of water" that made my character say "Yum! This is very delicious!" and filled my hunger and thirst bars.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 06:14:10 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 24, 2010, 06:31:04 pm »

If you guys aren't too busy...maybe you'd like to contribute your extensive knowledge to the URWiki?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 24, 2010, 06:54:59 pm »

Oh no! My pot of water spoiled! My delicious pot of water! Nooooooooooooooooo!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 24, 2010, 06:57:50 pm »

man, i'm so busy trying to fish to do anything else in game, and i barely manage to survive... how do you guys do it?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 24, 2010, 07:10:08 pm »

Cut up clothing for cord, make primitive bow, make a dozen arrows.

Wander around climbing trees on the wilderness map looking for large animals.

Chase down and kill said large animal with arrows. If it runs off screen, grab your arrows on the ground and follow the tracks until you find it again. Then shoot it more. Eventually the animal should be dead.

Reindeer can give you anywhere from 100-200 lbs of meat, elk and stag give a lot more.

At this point you can roast a bit of the meat for short term food, then spend a day tanning the hide. Once you have the hide you can make fur clothing to replace the stuff you cut up for cords, or cut the hide up for more cords. If it's dry weather (early spring, late fall, and winter if I remember correctly) and you have access to a constructed wall you can hang some of the extra meat up to try on a house somewhere for a long lasting emergency food supply. Drying 19 meat at a time is the most efficient with your cords since it only uses 1, but it might be kinda cheaty since it's exploiting the way it rounds things down until it has a whole number. If it isn't dry weather and you have access to a fireplace you can instead hang it up in a house and smoke it. It's not quite as long lasting as dried (or at least not in old versions, I'm not sure how they compare now) but much longer than roasted. You can do this in villages, I don't think the villagers will take the meat (They haven't taken mine yet).

Alternatively you can trade the meat for supplies at shops or with roaming people like adventurers. Buying a bag of flour or grain isn't a bad idea, since it keeps for a long time (possibly indefinitely?) and can be eaten if you run out of other stuff. With enough meat you can even purchase things like axes and weapons. The fur is also pretty valuable, especially if you make clothing out of it and trade the clothing.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 07:13:48 pm by Paul »

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 24, 2010, 07:28:05 pm »

eh, i've tried to find a large animal for ages, and always ended up crawling back to my shelter near the river, half starved, desperate for a pike... i managed to get a pot and a shovel sellin javelins, and made a  few stakes, i was planning on building a fence-pit trap, but can't seem to get enough food to take some time to even think... did i mention i have 2 nets? also, what's better eats, boiled fish or roasted fish?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 24, 2010, 07:52:51 pm »

No idea, the boiling thing is new and I haven't tried boiling meat or fish or anything yet.

I guess I got lucky on my character, I survived on small animals for the first few days then found a herd of reindeer and since then food hasn't really been an issue. I even bought a cow and a bull and have been using them to carry around my tools and some dried meat and grain while I travel.

I just went north in search of a Northern Bow and found a bear. I shot it six times as it approached me and it still gave me a few nasty bruises through my reindeer fur clothing, but I managed to hack it to death with my battle axe before it could do any serious harm. Bear fur seems to be the best fur you can make clothing out of protection-wise. It has a better defense against point than the other furs, which is important now that the AI shoot arrows at you. I went to the nearest village and made myself a bear fur shirt, leggings, footwear, mittens, and hood. I also found a adventurer in the village willing to trade his northern bow for most of the bear meat. Life is good on this character, haha.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 24, 2010, 10:26:08 pm »

Cut up clothing for cord, make primitive bow, make a dozen arrows.
Unless you started with the Oath of Iron ritual; then you should make a dozen Javelins.  It's cheat-y to the max because they're made of wood (OoI requires iron weapons) and Oath of Iron'd Javelins have ridiculous accuracy even at low skill, but you don't need to waste any clothing to make them and they do good damage.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 25, 2010, 01:07:10 am »

I think a lot of the problems people have are differences in stats. If you gen a char with low speed and endurance you're going to have a tough time catching anything. Then Str/Dex/Eye are all important for bows. If you manage to generate a character with very high speed/endurance and a decent str/dex/eye and put a point in bows you're going to have a much easier time hunting with bows.

Speed and endurance are really the most important stats for a hunting character. Your mobility is based directly off your speed stat, and the encumbrance penalty you get from carrying equipment is based on the endurance stat. Higher mobility means you move and attack faster, and the encumbrance penalty is a straight negative to all your skills so keeping it low is very important. Thats why I always try to generate a char with maxed speed and endurance. I also aim for agility, but agility is defensive so not entirely necessary just for hunting survival. It comes in when you have an angry bear or a njerpezit raider beating on you and you need to dodge.

Also remember to drop *everything* but the bare essentials when you go hunting. If you're having a lot of trouble and it's not winter time, I suggest stripping down completely and going hunting with nothing but your bow & arrows/javelins and your knife. This is especially vital if your skills are low, because that penalty for weight is a straight negative - if you have 40 skill and a -20 penalty that means you effectively have 20 skill. Same with penalties from wounds and such. If you have a skill of 50 and your total penalties count up to 50 from starvation, wounds, blood loss, weight, etc - its as if you were completely untrained in the skill. That means you probably won't be able to hit anything.

I generally go with a dozen or so arrows, my bow, one of the 1lb knives (small knife or knife, less weight), and my set of fur clothing (pants, shirt, hood, mittens, shoes - cloak is too heavy, and I never use caps since hood covers the head fine by itself). If I'm planning a long trip I'll take a piece or two of meat.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 01:34:47 am by Paul »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 25, 2010, 03:28:42 am »

Starting equipment seems to vary quite a bit even in the same start. I guess it might depend on tribe? I never really checked.

That is exactly it.  Starting equipment, stats, and skills are dependent upon the tribe.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 101