Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299687 times)

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #465 on: December 23, 2010, 09:35:05 pm »

I have to agree that the price is pretty over the top, waay too much.. I bought the then current game about 2-3 years back and thats all the money he is getting out of me. Its a good game, but not worth that 55 USD price tag thats for damn sure
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 23, 2010, 09:38:08 pm »

Wiki needs to be updated, I ate a black ear mushroom and died.

My other character died while trying to raid a njerpez camp alone :P
Anyway, I'm gonna make a new one and try to sneak into a njerpez camp and kill a few of them, they carry decent tools and weapons,
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 23, 2010, 10:28:03 pm »

I might be interested in playing this, but the business model they have... well... I've seen less dishonest payment setups.

I mean, with the $3 option, you'd have to buy it again if they release a patch it seems. I found the comment about a hotfix for the current version being free to somewhat offensive to those who paid the $3 for it, as if they had considered charging people to fix a problem they themselves caused and only effects a small number of people.

:-\
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 23, 2010, 11:07:31 pm »

I might be interested in playing this, but the business model they have... well... I've seen less dishonest payment setups.

I mean, with the $3 option, you'd have to buy it again if they release a patch it seems. I found the comment about a hotfix for the current version being free to somewhat offensive to those who paid the $3 for it, as if they had considered charging people to fix a problem they themselves caused and only effects a small number of people.

:-\

It does feel really cheaty when you're told that you paid $3 for the buggy unplayable version that has all the exploding kitchen utensils, and you have to shell another $3 for the shiny new version where your entire house and loot doesn't vanish for no reason two days after you got them.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 23, 2010, 11:45:53 pm »

From what I understand, the $3 version covers bug fixes, and stops upon upgrade of any feature.  Roughly speaking.

I can understand their justification of charging a large amount for lifetime membership, simply because they have in fact been developing it for 10 years.  But I also feel the price is far too high.

Nobody pays $50 for any game other than one that is top brand name, final version, and completely new.  Anything less sells for $30.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 24, 2010, 12:08:17 am »

From what I understand, the $3 version covers bug fixes, and stops upon upgrade of any feature.  Roughly speaking.

I can understand their justification of charging a large amount for lifetime membership, simply because they have in fact been developing it for 10 years.  But I also feel the price is far too high.

Nobody pays $50 for any game other than one that is top brand name, final version, and completely new.  Anything less sells for $30.

If it was $10 for lifetime membership I would maybe consider it. I mean... I bought Minecraft for $10 in alpha and that includes all future updates... Frankly that game has a lot more potential than this :\.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #471 on: December 24, 2010, 12:17:36 am »

It is kinda high, but you have to think about it though: Most games are developed for a few years, sold, and then they start work on a new one to sell for more money. This one isn't a short term project, its something the developer plans to work on his entire life. The first time I saw this game was over 10 years ago when it was more fantasy themed with dungeon delving and gold coinage. It has changed and evolved constantly, the different versions I've played over the years have been so vastly different that it's more like a whole game series than a single game. You're literally buying a lifetime registration for it, for every update throughout the developer's lifetime.

If you don't want to spend the $55 just buy the $3 version, its honestly probably the best option for most people - you'd have to buy 19 minor versions before it would have been more economical to buy the lifetime. Even if you bought one every 6 months, that would be nine and a half years. The $3 version buys the big bug fixes too, it just stops after that version gets stable and the next version rolls around. It's not like you're getting half a game, you have a fully playable game.

Paying $3 here and there every year or so when you decide to play it is hardly expensive.

Honestly he would probably be making more money with DF's model of giving it free and accepting donations. Most people buy the $3 version and thats it, and even the people who shell out the $55 aren't giving THAT much money over the long term. DF's donation model has lots of people giving $10 here and $5 there and over the years I'm sure many of the donators have given more than $55. Just think of the $3 as a small donation for his work on the most recent version, the same way you pass Toady a few bucks when he comes out with a big release.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 24, 2010, 01:55:49 am »

Honestly he would probably be making more money with DF's model of giving it free and accepting donations. Most people buy the $3 version and thats it, and even the people who shell out the $55 aren't giving THAT much money over the long term. DF's donation model has lots of people giving $10 here and $5 there and over the years I'm sure many of the donators have given more than $55. Just think of the $3 as a small donation for his work on the most recent version, the same way you pass Toady a few bucks when he comes out with a big release.

Look I believe it's every game developers right to sell their intellectual property and their hard work and sweat for whatever they want... And really if a consumer doesn't like it then they aren't forced to pay the price. I think rewarding developers for their hard work is the least we can do and I really frown down on piracy. But I think Toady doesn't just have 'consumers' here on the forums, he has a community... He isn't selling a 'product', he is creating a vision and there are many people here, including a lot of young people that don't have steady jobs or a great deal of money to spend on entertainment that respect Toady as a developer and as a person for allowing us to share in that vision, for no cost. He deserves every single donation he gets and more. If he ever charges for Dwarf Fortress that's his right but damn he deserves props forever for giving us all that he has up to this point from the goodness of his heart. A legend amongst men.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #473 on: December 24, 2010, 02:42:10 am »

I agree. I'm just saying that Sami charging $3 for something is hardly an over the top price. He prefers to sell his game rather than rely on donations (You can't blame him, giving your work away and hoping for donations is a pretty big leap of faith, kudos to Toady on that one).

The $55 lifetime thing is hardly mandatory, it's more for people who want to support the game and give a larger amount, and they're rewarded with a lifetime of updates. Unless you plan on buying the next 19 single versions as they come out, you'll do fine with buying the $3 one every so often. Most of the people going "OMG 55 is too much" probably wouldn't stick with the game long enough to need to buy a second $3 license, and even if they do come back and buy 2 more over the next year that still puts the game at a reasonable $9.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 24, 2010, 06:02:50 am »

i'm fine paying 3$ every few months, i spend more on coffee everyday

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 24, 2010, 09:29:35 am »

I bought two of the "single major version" licenses. The 10 dollar-ish ones. I bought the 3.0x version, and the 3.1x version. The first lasted me a couple of years, not sure when I exactly bought it, the second I bought in 2007, I believe. 20 dollars for what I'm guessing is 5 years of gaming with significant updates. (We're talking updates on close to the same scale as the z-axis update to DF) Is plenty worth it to me. I've considered the lifetime license, but for various reasons, prefer to just stick with the major version licences. They're a better deal than the single version licenses, but have more flexiblity than the lifetime licenses, and at this rate of development, I'd only be getting a better deal with the lifetime one if this went on at this pace for another 15 years or so.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 24, 2010, 10:58:58 am »

Oi, I was getting the logs to build my cabin in place, and when I was almost done, I'm attacked by wolves, a whole pack of them. One gave me a grievous wound while I was skinning the first one thinking he was alone. I had to crawl into the forest and build me a shelter elsewhere. Some days later and they're still there, the bastards. Ironically I picked the unfortunate hunting trip scenario, and the beast that killed me father was a wolf.

I'll have me revenge and reclaim my spot, thankfuly I have a longbow and 30 arrows, but I'm still pretty injured and can't walk, only crawl.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 24, 2010, 11:18:42 am »

I fell into my damn pit trap and had to spend a week recovering.  What's worse is that they never catch anything, after I spent 3 hours RL setting them all up. Does a crafting axe make life easier? Making things with a knife takes quite some time.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 24, 2010, 11:34:54 am »

You need to combine pit traps with fences, to corral the wildlife into them. I had one fence cutting a narrow land bridge, and it landed me tons of elks since they had to go through there to get between two landmasses.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 24, 2010, 12:17:20 pm »

Yea, I've built the fences. The idea was that they'd need to go through the traps to get to the lake.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 101