Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299435 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #345 on: February 15, 2010, 08:56:19 pm »

This just in: javelins are now the new wooden cup/bowl. With a patch of young trees, a cutting tool, and a day of work, you can pretty much buy out any shop.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 15, 2010, 10:33:00 pm »

I love the new height maps. I found a circular cave with a divider in the middle, making it north and south, with a joiner on the west. on the southeast side, where the opening is, there are two steep climbs up to get in. All flat, except for a small half circle of elevated land in the joiner. On the north east side, it has a really deep pit with a single gradient staircase going into it, and a protruding tile that is a steep climb up. Thinking of making the pit my cellars, the protrusion my bed, and the halfcircle at the joiner my kitchen area. My plan to fortify this is just a small spread of fences on the outside so I can mow down any would be invaders with my bow as they try to climb over and around everything.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 15, 2010, 10:36:00 pm »

Caves seem to be extremely common now. I found three within a relatively small area. Back in 3.01 or whatever I had last, I maybe found one cave in my whole time playing.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 15, 2010, 10:38:46 pm »

The good thing is, I'm right in the middle of what I call my trade basket. A fortified city about 6 squares north, another about 11 southwest, three towns spread out north-northwest of me, another southwest ish. All of them are driik, so they stock everything. The only problem is that the Njerpez have some stuff southeast, which explains the lack of driik over there.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 16, 2010, 10:47:34 am »

I've done some more in-depth hacking of the save files. I'll write up my finidings right now and upload it somewhere.

Update:
PDF
LaTeX
I'm providing the LaTeX source on the off chance that it might somehow be useful to somebody somewhere.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:37:19 am by Mephisto »

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 19, 2010, 11:31:03 am »

I'm having a rather annoying problem while trying to build a trap with spikes. I made the hole and moved all the necessary materials (10 branches, 10 spruce twigs, 6 wooden stakes and 3 slender tree trunks) to the whole, as if I were building a shelter. But that doesn't work since the game wants me to select the items from my inventory. Tried having the stuff at my feet instead of in the whole, but no dice either.

Problem is, I can't possible PICK UP those slender trunks! As I implied earlier, I've no problem building shelters using materials on the ground, but this stupid trap wants everything taken directly from my inventory.

Is this a bug? I'm playing the latest version, I believe. 3.13, with the second patch on.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 19, 2010, 11:34:49 am »

you can't pick up 3 slender tree trunks? either something changed since last version, or you have too much weight on you.
You aren't trying to use the big trunks from big, fully grown trees are you?

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 19, 2010, 11:40:43 am »

I'm sure. I can't chop bigger trees since I only have a knife, so it's an impossible mistake. :P

Each of those trunks appears to weigh 50 lbs, and 150 is too much for my guy. Maybe I should try felling another small tree, in case trunk weights are as variable as those of fish of the same species.

EDIT: Doesn't work. All slender trunks seem to weigh 50 lbs, so I can't possibly pick three up at the same time. I normally carry around 55 lbs of stuff with me, but that plus the branches and stakes gets me to 70 lbs. My guy can't handle having 220 lbs on, so I'm guessing this is a bug since I'm not allowed to use materials that are not directly in my inventory.

"Nggggh! 3 slender tree trunks is too heavy for you."

EDIT2: Works now. Had to pick the trunks one by one. Odd.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 11:56:59 am by Greenbane »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 19, 2010, 01:08:37 pm »

Oh yeah, THAT bug. Frustrated me for a while, it did.

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
« Reply #354 on: February 20, 2010, 12:32:21 am »

I've done some more in-depth hacking of the save files. I'll write up my finidings right now and upload it somewhere.

Update:
PDF
LaTeX
I'm providing the LaTeX source on the off chance that it might somehow be useful to somebody somewhere.

This is about the 6th time I've reversed the save file format (the save file is a raw memory dump so just as easy to change in memory as it is in the file).  Somewhere mixed in with st_chr_data is the attributes, and I haven't bothered to find them all again.
Code: [Select]
char name[13];
byte race;
char race_name[13];
char unk1[5];

struct st_skill_name {
    char name[12];
};

st_skill_name skill_names[50];
char skill_mods[50];
char skill_values[50];

int unk2[150];

char unk3;
char portrait_image[19];
char unk4;
char numbers[19]; // not a coordinate, always appears to be the same values "(317)(018)(118)"

int unk5[35];

int inv_type[100]; // index into <character_name>.OBJ
int inv_qty[100];
char unk8[100];

char prone;
char zoommap_or_bigmap[11];
char unk10;
char unk11[11];

int unk12[25];

int hunger;
int thirst;
int tiredness;
int unk13[31];

int unk14_1[7];
int x; // local map x
int y; // local map y
int unk14_3;
int unk14_4;
char hour_of_day;
char minute_of_hour;
char unk14_6;
char unk14_7;
int unk14_9;
int injury; // set this to a large negative number to have extremely high mobility...
int unk14_2;
int bloodloss;
int weight;
int height;
int physique;
int unk14_8;

struct st_chr_data {
    char unk1;
    char unk2;
    char str;
    char agi;
    char mday;
    char unk6;
    char dex;
    char unk8;
    char unk9;
    char unk10;
    char unk11;
    char unk12;
    char unk13;
    char unk14;
    char unk15;
    char unk16;
    char month;
    char year;
    char unk19;
    char unk20;
    char unk21;
    char unk22;
    char unk23;
    char unk24;
    int unk25;
    int unk26;
};

st_chr_data character_data;

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 20, 2010, 08:42:45 pm »

Now I'm having quite a lot of trouble getting rope.

Leather is just too hard to find: civilizations nearby don't have shops nor sell animals nor punts (I want 3 ropes for a raft). I need a water vessel to transport logs and stuff, so to begin building a nice cottage. Otherwise I'm surviving just fine, occasionally hunting big game like forest reindeer and stag.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 20, 2010, 09:23:41 pm »

Get it from the animals you're killing?

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 20, 2010, 10:05:23 pm »

Most yield hides (fur), which can't be used as leather. I've hunted forest reindeer, stag, elks, beavers, foxes and squirrels, all of which provide hides but not proper leather.

Leather apparently comes from pigs, dogs and cows, none of which I can find. Snakes provide leather, too, but very little given their size. And I've only come across one snake in several hours of playing.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 10:10:15 pm by Greenbane »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 21, 2010, 01:40:06 pm »

If you've got a fur cloak or something, you can rip a bunch of tying materials from it and still be able to wear it.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 21, 2010, 09:09:00 pm »

those birds give leather.....woe is me who tried to make a full set of leather from them  :'(
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 101