Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299698 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #945 on: December 30, 2011, 12:04:33 am »

I dont know, I played a fair bit of unreal world thanks to an awesome guy here that did a giveaway, and I must say its quite enjoyable, but it doesn't feel polished and the gameplay gets dull once you get a nice house and lots of meat. Then the only fun comes from killing njerpez, and that gets olds sorta fast.

The hunting element feels nice though. I wish Heaven&Hearth's hunting was as good, and not just build a fence around something, shoot at it forever with a sling, and bows taking longer then civil war cannons to shoot.

Yea, the current game needs a bit more endgame content. You have to come up with your own challenges to make the game entertaining. Building a super warrior, suiting him up in mail with a northern bow and battleaxe, recruiting an army of hunters and adventurers, and invading the Njerpez can be fun for a while. Playing as a nomad can be interesting too, exploring the world and living off whatever you can kill. I'm hoping the peaceful settled life gets more interesting when more of the NPC interaction and community features are implemented.

Thats usually what eventually makes me stop playing. Back years ago I'd go raid caves until I eventually died, going down hundreds of levels (I seem to recall one cave that I made it to level three hundred and something before dieing to a group of njerpez that surrounded me). Now that the game is a bit more realistic than that the main challenge is getting food and a house, and once you have that the game can get boring if you don't set new goals for yourself. I remember one game where I lived on a river and had a bunch of loop snares all along the river, and every day I'd run the snares and cook up some meat stew with some turnips from the garden - but eventually it got tedious and repetitive.

I'd imagine the reality of living in that situation would get a bit tedious and repetitive too, if you live in a house in the middle of a river all by yourself and live on your garden and meat from snares that you religiously check every single day - so I can hardly blame the game when I set myself up for boredom.

URW still keeps pulling me back in for weeks or months at a time every few years, though. I guess it's just a craving for a good survival sim, which are very few and far between.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

christonian

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Play Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: December 30, 2011, 12:17:03 am »

I am so addicted to this game come check my videos give me advice and where you would like to see this character go. I have played about 8hrs+ of Unreal World and this is my first Let's Play for Unreal World

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr7JMV0r5hk (First video mostly intro character build no gameplay)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbWCkpQs5SY (playing the game)

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: December 30, 2011, 01:22:07 am »

Gave the demo another shot. Combat has changed considerably since my last encounter with URW. Still, missle weapons are preposterously over effective. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be firing arrows or throwing javalins into people's necks from an inch away, surrounded on all sides.

Anyhoo. Tossed in the demo and brought murder to a small village. Now I have enough succulent human flesh live out the winter ((If I weren't going to die in 10 days)) and a great site to start what I would play URW for. Building a home of absurd proportions for one lonely canabal. Where I will invite people for 'hunting' trips. ((read as The Most Dangerous Game))

I was going to explore the cooking Recipes section and see if I could make a "hall of meat"

Things to do if I get the full version.
*Create a 11 by 11 pit with a small bridge leading out to its middle. Put my bed there
*Unfortunately can't seem to drag carcasses ((or I'm doing it wrong)) So might have to get creative on the whole -pile of rotting corpses motiff-
*Burn down the other buldings in town

*Fun fact. The facing direction is great. I killed most of the town by Hide walking up behind them and giving them a battle-sword to the head. Stealth kills don't send the whole village down on you.

What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: December 30, 2011, 01:47:21 am »

I was curious about stealth kills.  These villages are looking AWFULLY peaceful right now...

You can leave "rotten driik villager cuts (50)" on the ground or in a pit.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: December 30, 2011, 10:18:56 am »

So I've been having absolutely zero lck with traps of any kind, fence, snare, ect.  Anyone who has any skil with this, some advice would be really appreciated.
Nom nom nom

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: December 30, 2011, 10:20:11 am »

Be patient, and make shitloads of them, and put them in a place where animals have no choice but to fall into them. Just digging a random pit in a forest will get you nothing, usually.
*Hugs*

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: December 30, 2011, 10:21:48 am »

Second question, how long will a trap keep something alive/not rotting?  Aka how often should I check the traps?
Nom nom nom

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: December 30, 2011, 10:23:26 am »

Check them daily, I usually check my trap fences every morning before I go fishing.
*Hugs*

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: December 30, 2011, 03:31:39 pm »

Day one demo slaughter. My only intention was really to steal a few supplies, namely a good sword. Snuck in and killed the shop keeper with a javalin to the back of the head and  went to run off with a battlesword. Unfortunately the village ((minus one shopkeeper)) caught up to me at the edge of the woods. That's what I get for being over-loaded with delicious father-meat. Even when I dropped it on the go it wasn't enough to out pace them any more.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I decided to give them my javalins as a sign of friendship. When that didn't work I gave them a few love taps till the settled down. Surprised to have came out of it without even a bruise.

My method of madness if you're interested in the long winded version.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 03:33:41 pm by Logrin »
What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

Affinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Unreal World and Wurm Online
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: December 30, 2011, 05:29:42 pm »

Always being "nice"  :D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 05:39:16 pm by Affinity »
We fight to the end.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: January 05, 2012, 09:29:44 am »

:o

I just shot an elk in the face ...

:D

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: January 05, 2012, 09:30:32 am »

Yeah, but you missed. Weaksauce.

:P
*Hugs*

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: January 05, 2012, 09:34:16 am »

:) But I'm so happy that I did ...

All that meat might put a dent in my 11% starvation, and there is a deserted vagabond village nearby to take as my own ... (at least ... I think it's deserted)

I love the new missile weapon system. Although I forgot about it and accidentally threw my handaxe in the water ...  ::)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: January 05, 2012, 10:32:11 am »

That's kind of exactly what this is.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: January 05, 2012, 10:39:04 am »

I payed for a one-version download of this game a few years back. Version was > 3 or so, if I recall right. Any major additions since then? I kinda figure I should just not be a cheap ass and pay the guy for a lifetime subscription since it's such a great deal. I just don't want to pay again if he decides to abandon this next year.. Which was the reason I payed for the one-version download before.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 101