Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299820 times)

Affinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Unreal World and Wurm Online
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #825 on: December 24, 2011, 09:26:29 pm »

Think ill get the minor version tomorrow  :)
We fight to the end.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: December 24, 2011, 10:15:10 pm »

Yeah, the minor version is pretty good.  That's just buying the current release, but even that is worth $3.  Still, it's like $2 more for any nearby releases, I say splurge the extra change and go major.  Costs comparatively nothing for that tiny upgrade, you get a bit more insurance against future changes, and you support the developer(s) a little.

In other news, I'm running through characters rather poorly.  My good owl tribe maiden died when I accidentally attacked a citizen while trying to talk and then got the beatdown applied liberally.  Next one tried to swim.  My god these people are pathetic swimmers, especially as this was a Kuikka-person who is allegedly great at swimming!  Like 10m and I drown...  Apparently swimming is the bane of all survival games ever.

So, about to start a new one and debating my skill starts.  Survival and carpentry seem worthwhile, as these help you handle the wildnerness and carpentry works towards your wooden bowl production - even if they've been nerfed they're still great sellers.  Tracking seems nice to have, and spears are powerful weapons...  What skills are good to start with, do you all think?  And what sort of starting options?  The "I want to be a fisherman" and "Unfortunate hunting trip" are both great, one starts you with supplies and the other starts you with equipment and food (once you've done the butchering).  I've been thinking of the agricultural start as well, or the trap-fence, but I can never get any traps to work.

So, what's a good start and how the hell do I get these traps to work?  I've had more luck bow-hunting for reindeer than trapping any animal, except fish traps appear to be extremely lucrative, even on the shore!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: December 24, 2011, 10:18:22 pm »

Traps are all about patience and luck, it might take weeks to catch something, you might catch 50 reindeer on day one.

Fishing is godlike for getting food though, even just regular active fishing. And make sure you start in Driik land, they're the traders, so you're able to get all sorts of useful items from their villages.
And with that in mind, the village start is good to have in Driik land.
*Hugs*

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: December 24, 2011, 10:20:00 pm »

I'm thinking about getting this.
Going to try the trial and see if it is what I want
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: December 24, 2011, 10:33:23 pm »

Note: 3.15 will be the last patch of the current 'major version' (3.1x). But it's not a lot of difference really. Also note: I bought 3.1x major version a couple years ago and it's still good.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: December 24, 2011, 10:35:54 pm »

URW is a very brutal, survival game.  It's not Minecraft where you run out and smelt an iron breastplate in 20 minutes.  This is one in which you must work for your wood and it may take you all day to work a single tree into a few useful items.  If you've ever played Haven and Hearth then you know the genre, except that URW is much rougher, especially in terms of "you've got nothing to eat for 5 days straight."

I tried the village start and it put me at a vagabond tent.  That didn't help me at all.  And it's not like I can't find a Driik village easily enough, I think I'd rather have some free supplies and spend the extra day or two finding a village.  Fishing though, if you can get near any body of water you're set.  If you're near a rapids, then you're overflowing with food easily!  Nets should be renamed "infinite food generators".

How often do you check traps?  Particularly, I'm trying to utilize some pit traps and fences, but got very poor luck.  Then, I've heard that placement helps and that it's better to place them where you know animals have been, but how in the world do you tell where the animals are?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: December 24, 2011, 11:02:51 pm »

Nowhere does it explain how to skin an animal.  Killed a few, expecting to gather skin when I butchered.  Never thought to open the skill menu for hideworking...  Thanks wiki!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: December 24, 2011, 11:10:58 pm »

I check my traps daily, my usual routine is Wake Up, Eat, Fish for a few hours, check traps, then explore.

If I can't find a cave within the first month, I start building a house.
*Hugs*

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: December 25, 2011, 12:35:05 am »

Okay, so I got a choice between getting this or Terraria. Which should I pick? I am very interested in both so I can really decide myself!
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: December 25, 2011, 12:41:59 am »

If you like Minecraft - Terraria.

If you like HnH or DF - URW.

Terraria is much more quickly paced, but it's also easy to get bored quickly, and has a strong multiplayer and building aspect.  When there's no one to play with, it can get boring and difficult (especially hard mode).  URW is much more brutal, so if you're at home with Losing is Fun then you'll get the hang of URW, and it's more complicated.  There's TONS you can do, and games can measure in years.  You need to hunt, gather, build, and prepare for winter starvation.  There's virtually no action in it, it's not a button-masher like Terraria can be, but like a proper roguelike URW will get your heart racing a little when you see that bear coming at your first successful character.  Just be aware that "first successful" can be "fifteenth attempt".

Also, I managed to get a fine glutton skin.  How good is this, and what else should I be looking out for when I make a kill?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: December 25, 2011, 01:00:37 am »

Gluttons don't have that much fur. Maybe you might be able to make a small piece of clothing with it, but otherwise it's better off trading with foreign traders. "Fine" and "Inferior" only affect its value when trading, nothing more.

If you can't find a trader, it's cord fodder for making arrows.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: December 25, 2011, 01:40:33 am »

I made myself some mittens, as I previously lacked a pair.  They're nice~  Just loitering with the rest of the fur now, probably end up chording it later.

Epithemius

• Bay Watcher
  • [AFTERTHOUGHT:100]
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: December 25, 2011, 01:53:43 am »

I just paid for the major version. Looks like fun. When does this package to upgrade get sent out? Usually it's instantaneous, but it seems this guy does it all by hand?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: December 25, 2011, 01:55:00 am »

The thingy says "May take 15 seconds to a few days" so I doubt he manages it in 15 seconds :P  It took me a few hours, nothing bad.  If you're patient then it's no time at all.

Epithemius

• Bay Watcher
  • [AFTERTHOUGHT:100]
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: December 25, 2011, 01:56:57 am »

Ah, thanks. I'm in no rush, as I have EVE Online up and running, but it just seems like a really inefficient way to handle it. How hard could it be to autonomate it?
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 101